Random Pics of Your Rig

LCW

Reaction score
LOL. There's actually an MXR 10 band that you can't see in the pics, so I think I got it covered 😁

I actually didn't intend to buy the Behringer but a guy threw it in with the Samson patch bay and some other stuff.

They are all in the FX loops for high gain sounds: the 5150, DSL20, V3M, RD1 and both Hafler preamps all have EQ in the loop. Those are dedicated high-gain only amps (the 5150/GSP1101 in 4CM are an exception, and that's wired so the EQ is bypassed if I'm using GSP models).

For clean sounds I mainly use the Mark V, Classic 20 or GSP models. Although the Hafler Hellrazor, despite the stupid name, has a really great, very Fender-ish clean channel with a push-pull gain pot, so there's a lot of range. It gets very SRV-ish.

I was getting ready to sell the V3M because of its boxy mid-range, but I threw an EQ in the loop and now it's one of my favorite amps.

I tend to buy multiples of things that work for me so when I find time to play I can just choose a rig, turn it on and go. Not to mention I'm lazy and love tweaking knobs but kind of hate cabling things together all the time. I'm about to do this again, probably, with another GUP Tech PDEQ. I bought one that is patched into the smaller rack and I'm probably gonna buy another for the larger rack.

I might have a problem. I'm lucky I got into guitar gear and not heavy drugs. 😄
Definitely a cool setup. Is old rack gear still pretty cheap or is it going up like everything else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely a cool setup. Is old rack gear still pretty cheap or is it going up like everything else?

Things like EQs and patch bays can be found cheap.Two of my EQs and the Samson patch bay were used (Craigslist deal I got from a guy shutting down a semi-pro home studio). Those were probably like $45 each (bought as a bundle) a few years ago, right in the middle of Covid.

Brand new dual 15 band EQs are around $125 last I looked, which is a deal compared to a single 10 band MXR costing $150. Plus they typically have adjustable range (plus/minus 6 or 12 dB boost/cut), low cut, etc. The main disadvantage is they're not foot switchable.

GSP1101s can be had for around $225 if you watch them. I like them enough that I own two: one sits on my desk as a "direct to studio monitors rig in a single box" (I have the Must Be Beta firmware update on them so they are IR capable). Great units for the $.

I got the Lexicon MX300 for $180 including tax and shipping (off Reverb) which I thought was a pretty good deal for quality multi FX.

Rack tube preamps are harder to find and generally overpriced, possibly due to the Youtube guys doing videos on them. The Peavey Rockmaster and Tube Works Real Tube II are good examples of that. I always wanted a Hafler Triple Giant (Bogner design) but when I see one they're around $500 or more. Kinda the same deal for tube power amps: rare and expensive. I got the Peavey Classic 60/60 used off ebay a few years before Covid for about $250 or $300 IIRC but those days are gone, I think.

I tend to buy gear and keep it forever, for a couple reasons. One, I've regretted selling a few things I had when I was younger. Two, there's almost always a way I can use something that seems obsolete. Just a few days ago I pulled my old Digitech GNX1 out of the closet and put it in the loop of the V3M for FX only. Works fine even if it is from 2002. It's not an Axe FX or Helix but it works well enough for a guy having fun in his basement.

Some of this stuff I've owned from back when racks were the thing. I've had the Hafler preamps since the early 90s. The Carvin TS100 power amp came directly from Carvin ($499) when they first came out (around 2000?). I've always had a thing for racks.

LCW

Reaction score
Things like EQs and patch bays can be found cheap.Two of my EQs and the Samson patch bay were used (Craigslist deal I got from a guy shutting down a semi-pro home studio). Those were probably like $45 each (bought as a bundle) a few years ago, right in the middle of Covid.

Brand new dual 15 band EQs are around $125 last I looked, which is a deal compared to a single 10 band MXR costing $150. Plus they typically have adjustable range (plus/minus 6 or 12 dB boost/cut), low cut, etc. The main disadvantage is they're not foot switchable.

GSP1101s can be had for around $225 if you watch them. I like them enough that I own two: one sits on my desk as a "direct to studio monitors rig in a single box" (I have the Must Be Beta firmware update on them so they are IR capable). Great units for the $.

I got the Lexicon MX300 for $180 including tax and shipping (off Reverb) which I thought was a pretty good deal for quality multi FX.

Rack tube preamps are harder to find and generally overpriced, possibly due to the Youtube guys doing videos on them. The Peavey Rockmaster and Tube Works Real Tube II are good examples of that. I always wanted a Hafler Triple Giant (Bogner design) but when I see one they're around $500 or more. Kinda the same deal for tube power amps: rare and expensive. I got the Peavey Classic 60/60 used off ebay a few years before Covid for about $250 or $300 IIRC but those days are gone, I think.

I tend to buy gear and keep it forever, for a couple reasons. One, I've regretted selling a few things I had when I was younger. Two, there's almost always a way I can use something that seems obsolete. Just a few days ago I pulled my old Digitech GNX1 out of the closet and put it in the loop of the V3M for FX only. Works fine even if it is from 2002. It's not an Axe FX or Helix but it works well enough for a guy having fun in his basement.

Some of this stuff I've owned from back when racks were the thing. I've had the Hafler preamps since the early 90s. The Carvin TS100 power amp came directly from Carvin ($499) when they first came out (around 2000?). I've always had a thing for racks.
JMP-1s and ADA MP-1s are certainly in the inflated camp.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
JMP-1s and ADA MP-1s are certainly in the inflated camp.

Oh yeah, for sure. Always wanted an MP-1 but I feel like I might be disappointed, especially at today's prices. I think some of the inflation is nostalgia. I know that's one of the reasons I want some of these things. I bought a Digitech Twin Tube preamp a few years ago purely for nostalgia. It kind of sucked so I sold it not long after buying it.

Reactions: LCW

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I finally acquired a rig!

36670-DE8-B5-F2-45-F8-8-A82-E48-D42-B9407-E.jpg

tayistay

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
711A0943.jpeg

I borrowed my brother's Multiwatt Dual Rectifier. At first I didn't like it. Then I put an EQ pedal in front of it.

Also the effects loop is temperamental due to crosstalk at lower volumes so I'm careful to use pedals with analog dry paths.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Updated Pedalboard:
Helix
2 Line 6 G30 Relay wireless units
Digitech The Drop
Digitech FreqOut
Voodoo Labs Mondo Power Supply. Without the Helix, could have gotten a less beefy sized brick, but this has the courtesy outlet for the Helix as well as the higher current needed for the power draw of the Digitech pedals.

Loop 1 Return = Wireless A “Blue”
Loop 2 Return = Wireless B “ Green”
Loop 3 Send/Return = “Open”
Loop 4 Send/Return = “Drop/Freq”

All first in the chain after the guitar input except for loop 3, no block set for that at this time.

If I need to switch to cable quickly, I just turn off the selected wireless and the Guitar Input takes precedence.

The Drop/Freq are right after the wireless units, and this loop is an OAT loop. I use the Drop to free up a block in the Helix and therefore free up DSP. The FreqOut has the switch set to momentary so that I can manually manage sustain/feedback at will.

All mounted to a Temple Audio Trio 28 pedalboard and I must say, it’s rock solid. The soft bag is fine for now as I don’t gig out that often currently.

I decided to go the extra mile on this one as this will likely be my last major gear haul for several years. So, the cable organization is full tilt network rack style, but completely snag free and easy to protect.
I went for the IEC power adapter module, and I have a couple of more modules coming so that no ongoing connecting and disconnecting will take place on the board itself, it a week or so the connections on the side will be from right side front to back as follows:
IEC AC adapter/switch
GTR In
USB/HX Edit
XLR/FOH.

Attachments

• IMG_4580.jpeg
    IMG_4580.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4579.jpeg
    IMG_4579.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4576.jpeg
    IMG_4576.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4578.jpeg
    IMG_4578.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4577.jpeg
    IMG_4577.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Depends. You can get an SPX-90 for a couple hundred bucks US, but a PCM-70 is going to cost you like a grand. The price of any given unit is directly affected by whether Dave Friedman has said it's good on Tone Talk or not lmao.

Reaction score
20230501_162123.jpg
So the Jackson is a JS1 I got for free when a friend-of-a-friend's roommate moved out and abandoned it. She'd been sitting in a detached unheated garage for a while before that. There was literally snow and ice crusted on it the day I picked it up. Complete and utter basket case as you can imagine. It was all stock except for five locking tuners. Now it's got a blackout AHB-2 with the output jumper pins wired to the toggle switch. Took way too much work to make it play nice, but it might be my most fun guitar.

The Ibanez has a Black Winter in the bridge and the EC-1000 is all stock.

Made in the USA Jet City JCA24CV cab, V30's.

Reaction score
20230501_164940.jpg
1991 60w 5150 combo amp in a case I built. I also built the cab. Birch plywood, internal bracing including one between the speakers going from front to back, loaded with a Celestion G15V-100 and a WGS ET-65.

The SG is tuned to C and has a Duncan Custom with an A8 magnet swap in the bridge, stock '61 zebra neck pickup, and some bare nickel covers on both just to class it up a bit.

It sounds pretty good for misc stoner metal stuff.