Rare guitars that you're looking for?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
A black, hardtail ESP Horizon 2, apparently...

They used to be everywhere back in the day when everyone was sick of black guitars, nowadays, I don't know if it's only I can't find one when I can afford it, but I don't know the last time I saw one for sale. E2, Edwards, LTD and even ESPs, but with a Floyd sure...all day long, but I can afford one...they're rare as hen's teeth.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
EVH Wolfgang Striped Ltd Edition
61KvBJlOZtL._AC_SL1215_.jpg

EVH Wolfgang Custom shop Black Violet
1534318855-75827100.jpg

Or
EVH Wolfgang Custom shop Purple burst
DSC_9867_1024x.jpg

Washburn N4 custom shop Sunburst or any of the Boogie Street Custom colours
maxresdefault.jpg

612044_reverb.jpg

Somebody just bought the limited edition EVH Wolfgang Frankie, Bumblebee, and Black/White stripe guitars that were on Reverb. The Frankie one goes for $6-8k and the other two are deg $3k these days. He bought all 3 for $2k each. The Frankie one had neck pocket cracks and so the seller discounted it greatly.

FWIW I’ve been pressuring my contacts at EVH to rerelease them to no avail. I’ve also been asking for the black/silver stripe one. I told them they could call them Tribute or Legacy or something to honor Eddie and this was the perfect time but nothing so far.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Not rare but just uncommon I think, been wanting a cocobolo Washburn CB15
d009a870d3bc32ae7b36d5a99b6123a0.jpg

I thought I knew Washburn guitars and basses well but it’s seems as every now and then a really rare model pops up. I have never seen this before.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
So you missed their last release... You can search for the S7420 on the used market for a reasonable/affordable price, or the S5527/S5427 (pretty much the same minus the trem) as the SSO slogan: "get a used prestige"...

I am searching for a decent condition S5527. I own/have owned a total of 9 RGs and one S and I missed the S series I had a lot (it was an S420). :(

I really wonder why Ibanez don't promote the S series as much - are they just focusing on RGs more or maybe they just don't sell enough...or both. The S420 with the ZR was one of the best Indo Ibanez guitars I had ever had.

Reaction score
I am searching for a decent condition S5527. I own/have owned a total of 9 RGs and one S and I missed the S series I had a lot (it was an S420). :(

I really wonder why Ibanez don't promote the S series as much - are they just focusing on RGs more or maybe they just don't sell enough...or both. The S420 with the ZR was one of the best Indo Ibanez guitars I had ever had.

I have an S540 which was my first Ibanez guitar, way back in 1995. It got me hooked to the brand. By 1999/2000 I bought a second one because of its price tag to sell one year latter to fund my first RG, the 2027XVV. Since then I have only bought RGs because I was out of phase with what Ibanez released in the Saber line. This year I reversed that and strengthened my Saber stable with one S2120X AV and recently one S5527 TKS (the one with LoPro)... I'm happy...

Sabers take a little longer in production line due to their contoured body shape, so it makes them a little higher priced than RGs with the same specs. Sabers seem to call for the fusion people, which is substantially smaller than the metalheads around the globe, hence the smaller marketing agenda...? it's a shame really, because sabers are IMO the best Ibanez guitar design so far...

mogar

Reaction score
All I'm hunting for is a floyded Jackson/Charvel Star that I don't have to sell both my nuts to afford. I'd even take the LTD Gus G one with a floyd but even those are tough now.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
HRF2.jpeg

Pre-EII Horizon NT-II in Reindeer Blue. The 2012 HRF ones had the multi-ply binding and 3 per side headstock. These basically don't exist in the wild that I've seen in the last year and a half since I've had a salary. Maybe one day I'll pony up for a custom shop clone but I don't play metal enough to warrant such extreme measures at this time.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I have an S540 which was my first Ibanez guitar, way back in 1995. It got me hooked to the brand. By 1999/2000 I bought a second one because of its price tag to sell one year latter to fund my first RG, the 2027XVV. Since then I have only bought RGs because I was out of phase with what Ibanez released in the Saber line. This year I reversed that and strengthened my Saber stable with one S2120X AV and recently one S5527 TKS (the one with LoPro)... I'm happy...

Sabers take a little longer in production line due to their contoured body shape, so it makes them a little higher priced than RGs with the same specs. Sabers seem to call for the fusion people, which is substantially smaller than the metalheads around the globe, hence the smaller marketing agenda...? it's a shame really, because sabers are IMO the best Ibanez guitar design so far...

The Sabers are my favorite Ibanez guitars...and I don't even own a Saber right now (and haven't since 2016). The reason I have not bought an S Prestige yet is because I want one with a floating bridge that does NOT have those ugly pickup mounting rings on them. Seems like they only do that for 7 strings.

Reaction score
The Sabers are my favorite Ibanez guitars...and I don't even own a Saber right now (and haven't since 2016). The reason I have not bought an S Prestige yet is because I want one with a floating bridge that does NOT have those ugly pickup mounting rings on them. Seems like they only do that for 7 strings.

... but you can replace those with SD Tripleshots and augment the guitar's tones enormously... which is what I've done on my 2 six stringers... 113 different combos each... :D

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
Washburn Chicago Series CS-780 in purple with gold hardware.
Tried one in a music store many years ago, and I really liked it but went with something different instead. Every now and then I check the used market for them.
b6SEm98oAaL28urM83o1YNddlBZ0vLuZjm13Y2ViIUczQKNl5aqfRWx1wDvzoSjnITX4-1_rzeEkgEPQlqY44Ci27Qji2gQ7TZYVKHQfiaNXl8D_89wDZ6R6Iw4rTfC9df7bUdrFmHmdmDXuDWCqyRxYN6xyIL0

tufgcdy8vdh4e9kpjf01.jpg

Reaction score
Washburn Chicago Series CS-780 in purple with gold hardware.
Tried one in a music store many years ago, and I really liked it but went with something different instead. Every now and then I check the used market for them.
b6SEm98oAaL28urM83o1YNddlBZ0vLuZjm13Y2ViIUczQKNl5aqfRWx1wDvzoSjnITX4-1_rzeEkgEPQlqY44Ci27Qji2gQ7TZYVKHQfiaNXl8D_89wDZ6R6Iw4rTfC9df7bUdrFmHmdmDXuDWCqyRxYN6xyIL0

tufgcdy8vdh4e9kpjf01.jpg

There are copies of the Ibanez Sabers... and sorry for saying this, but bad copies...

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
2008-2009 production only Horizon CTM:

hrz_ctm_fm_deep_cranberry_.jpg

I love the aesthetic appointments on these. Like a Horizon in a suit - the dots and creme rings/zebra pickups combo looks great, sadly they hold value pretty well on the second-hand market IIRC, not at all as common as most other Horizon variants.

2002-2003 production only Horizon-7 FR:

hrz_7fr_dgo.jpg

Obviously. I've only ever seen one for sale used in a decade or more of casual but consistent searching and it was gone in a hot minute.

manu80

Reaction score
i think i'll pull the trigger on a used GIbson M-III that I saw. Curious to try.... and there's some work to do so it will keep me busy ;)

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
There are copies of the Ibanez Sabers... and sorry for saying this, but bad copies...
Yeah, I get that they aren't necessarily a high quality instrument, but I have no doubt that there are well playing specimens of these out there. I mean... I tried one that was great.
If the neck is straight and the frets okay, then I recon you could make a beast out of one of these :)
Will only buy one if I find it for a decent price though.

btw, It's totally this guys fault that I want one! (it's Emppu from Nightwish for those who don't know. Couldn't find a picture of him with the purple one)
Emppu-Vuorinen.jpg

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score

They used to be everywhere back in the day when everyone was sick of black guitars, nowadays, I don't know if it's only I can't find one when I can afford it, but I don't know the last time I saw one for sale. E2, Edwards, LTD and even ESPs, but with a Floyd sure...all day long, but I can afford one...they're rare as hen's teeth.
On the contrary, I can't find any with FR lol and I wouldn't even mind EII...

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score

Found this today while doing my weekly reindeer blue search:
https://reverb.com/item/45805138-esp-horizon-nt-ii-black-2002