Rate my mix! (djenty)

• Thread starter Danklin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Danklin

Reaction score
sup guys lmk what you think of this mix. Still learning all of this. Any honest feedback would be so helpful tbh!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51s8bayfhjrwca1/invdjentintro_1.5.wav?dl=0

drop F#
plugins used
Reaper, Slate digital VMR, Grey Mix rack, tape saturator on master

guitars: fortin nameless 8 string preset, inf eq, kilo gate, VMR
bass: Avalanch MIDI bass pro and di
drums: Modern and massive

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
hot DOG that's a lot of reverb on the snare. I'd say try to compress it more to get that big snappy sound without the reverb tails. I'm no mix master so that's about it, tone sounds good and drum tones sound good to me too. maybe cut the bass on the guitars too, somewhere below 50hz and between 150 to 300 just put a little dip in there to get better separation from the kicks.

RobertVII

Reaction score
I agree with Empryean, I think the snare has too much verb. You could probably compress it more too tbh. I usually go for around -10 reduction for snares. The guitars seem like they're pumping a bit much to me too. Try using a multi-pressor instead of a compressor on them and hit around 80-140hz. It'll help keep the palm muting under control but still keep the heaviness for the picked notes. The kick could come up too. Try bringing out the 80hz frequency some more so it hits a tad harder too.

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
It's actually too hard to gauge how anything sounds with the amount of squash you have on your Master compressor. Edit and post the song again without a master compressor. That's the only way anyone would be able to tell you what could help.

BlackFalcon17

Reaction score
I think the biggest issue here is that the mix is unbalanced. Some elements are hard to hear simply because they're being drowned out. The rhythm guitar sound good, but could sound great if you let the bass occupy the low end instead of the guitar. Bring up the kick until you can feel the thump then back off a bit. The chimey guitar part feels too upfront. The snare verb is too much, you really only need to heard the tail end of it to get that big snare sound. It's a good start, with some quick tweaks it'll sound a lot better.