Reamping with only a dry track

hodorcore

Reaction score
Hello people

I have a small problem. I spent some time recording a dope track. I found out that I only have a dry track of it, so it's the guitar into the Axe Fx 2.
My question is, how can I reamp with only the dry track? I found many tutorials but all of them require having the wet track from the recording aswell.
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Niko

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you only *want* the dry track. You wouldn't want to reamp an already-amped sound through another amp, that defeats the whole purpose of re-amping. The oversimplified version of it is that you want your dry/DI track to be played out of your interface, through whatever gear you want to get your sound from, then record the result of that the same as you would for a live performance.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Yes as TedEH said you only want the dry track, so you should be fine, unless you are confusing what is the wet and what is the dry signal:

Dry signal is the signal directly from the pickups of the guitar, so these just have a clean, somewhat thin sound.
The wet signal is the processed signal from the Axe Fx2, so if you are recording distortion sounds which I assume you are then these tracks will have a lot of distortion to them.

If you have only recorded the wet track, then you can't really reamp and you are left with post-processing such as EQ to manipulate your signal.

If you reaaally want the dry tracks to be able to reamp and you don't have them then the only option is to record them again.

hodorcore

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you only *want* the dry track. You wouldn't want to reamp an already-amped sound through another amp, that defeats the whole purpose of re-amping. The oversimplified version of it is that you want your dry/DI track to be played out of your interface, through whatever gear you want to get your sound from, then record the result of that the same as you would for a live performance.

i did that already, put the Input source to usb and recorded a second track. but when i switch back the input to analog the new track shows just the dry signal unfortunately, it's pretty strange

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm going to guess the reason you 'want the wet track' is just due to how the wet track input is set up in the DAW to receive it on a certain channel from the Axe or something. So just copy whatever setup the tutorials are showing for the DAW wet track I guess. Rather than trying to do it on the 1 dry track which is remaining dry. It shouldn't matter that your wet track wont currently contain audio.

Latest posts