Recommend me a cheap used 3 channel head for metal

• Thread starter nilenecrophagist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nilenecrophagist

Reaction score
Ok, basically, I'm looking to get a decent head. Have never owned a valve head before but in one of the bands I'm in atm I use a 6505+ live that belongs to the other guitarist.

I'm looking to buy second hand, don't want to spend more than about £400 (it is possible in the UK to get a 6505 or Laney Ironheart 120 for this price)

I want an amp that does these things:

- Has as much gain as you'd need on it
- Has good cleans
- Has an effects loop
- Is footswitchable between a clean, crunch and lead channel
- has separate volumes for the channels! this is very important because I want to be able to get the solos to sound louder than the rhythm guitar

thanks

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
That's a pretty slim budget. It would be hard to beat the Peavey and an OD for your 'third channel' sound for that price. If you wanted an all-in-one option I'd suggest the EVH 5153 but its probably above your price range.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I don't know how readily available they are in the UK, but I'd look into the Peavey JSX, Carvin V3, or maybe a 6505+ of your own if you like the one you're borrowing. I've seen lots of rave reviews of the Laney VH100R as well, but have never tried or heard one in person. The Ironheart seems to be a love-or-hate amp from what I've read.

Also not sure about the used prices over there, but would a 50 watt EVH be possible at all? It's got a killer lead channel, good cleans, and sweet crunch available. It's not a "true" three channel amp, but if you use pretty neutral settings on the blue/green (start with gain around 4, everything else at noon) you can get a wide range of sounds without much of a volume jump.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
Balckstar? I'm not a huge fan, but there's not a ton of choice in that price range. Are there any used Randal Diavlos over there? The 100 watter might work.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just pay the other guitarist for the amp you've been using. Your budget is so low, and most brands that cover that ground well are probably american therefore out of your price range.

There's also more to tone than just having a decent amp, though that plays a very very large role.

Not once did you mention any drawbacks with your current amp, which makes me think that it will probably continue doing the job just fine. Also, given how many times the question has been asked, the search function may prove useful to you.

The only immediate choice I can offer is the 5153 100W.

Dana

Reaction score
have you tried a Bugera Trirec Infinium 100W 3-Channel Valve Amp Head?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You're a sick man, Dana :lol:

Bearitone

Reaction score
JSX sounds like the way to go.

If you're brave enough to go solid-state you could give the AMT Stonhead a try, or even some Randalls too

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
have you tried a Bugera Trirec Infinium 100W 3-Channel Valve Amp Head?

riker.gif

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
Peavey Ultra Plus, Ultra 60 or 120 head. Or if you wanna go rackmount, Rockmaster and the power amp of your choice. The preamp in all of them is based off of the RM and will give you the 3 channels you want. One thing I love about my Rockmaster is the 5 effects loops. An individual one for each channel, one shared between the crunch & ultra channels, and a global one. With a 400 pound budget you options are pretty slim.

Is having 3 channels non-negotiable? You could always go with a 2 channel with a pedal for boosting when you want some more gain.

Edika

Reaction score
It's quite difficult to find something for £400 but not impossible. The problem is getting someone to ship the amp as most delivery companies treat the packages like crap and won't cover damages. The 6505 and the 6505+ usually go for £500 and upwards and in rare cases go to £400-450. Usually the Peavey JSX can be found at the £400-450 mark. The Blackstars depend on your luck again as they're usually about £500-600. The Ironheart might be your best bet as I've seen more pop up at about that price. I have recently bought the Laney VH100R. Lovely sounding amp that can do what you want. Really nice clean and distortion. It is actually two channel that each channel has an extra gain stage so it has two EQ settings but with individual volume for each one. So the four modes have thei own volune and gain setting. The reverb is quite good. The only issue I can find is that it gets loud pretty quickly and the distortion channel needs the volume.

My Aspirations

Reaction score
I'm probably the only one to say this. But get a used peavey valveking. I love the cleans on them. Distortion is pretty decent. But with a boost and added distortion you'll get where you want to be and probably have a little bit of left over cash if you buy it all used :). Just see if you can try one and see for yourself.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
JSX sounds like the way to go.

If you're brave enough to go solid-state you could give the AMT Stonhead a try, or even some Randalls too

I owned a JSX for 3 years. 6505 if he wants great metal crunch, JSX if he wants decent metal crunch with better cleans. IMO, YMMV, etc.