Recommend me a Les Paul.... please?

• Thread starter Tony Ramon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Ramon

I'm just reading!!!
Reaction score
Hiya people

First post here so go easy with me ;)
I was primarily a bassist until about 5 years ago, since then I've been busting my stuff on a (surprisingly good) Les Paul copy which I stuck SD's in. custom alnico 5 in bridge and a JB (!!!!lol) in the neck.
I play into a 50 watt 5153 with the 2x12" and am pretty happy with my tone I guess ( I play a lot of classic rock, blues, punk and metal).. thing is I have INSANE G.A.S for a 'real' Les Paul.. it goes against my usual 'if it aint broke dont fix it' way of thinking but you all know what G.A.S is like..
Thing is I honestly didn't realise what a massive can of worms I've opened.
SOOOOOO many different models to choose from!!
I can just about afford a standard if I sell off a few things , but wouldnt rule out traditionals or a classic.
All i do know is I'd prefer a 60's neck (maybe I could get used to a 50's style hmmmm), alnico pups, a heavy ass body..
Seems a lot of the 60's neck models have hotter pups??
I'd opt for slightly more vintage sounding than uber modern.
Like I say ; BIG can of worms!!! Any thoughts/comments would be most welcome!
Thanks to all for a great forum by the way.
Peace.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic

One of the cheapest guitars out there but I just love the thing, sounds SO damn chunky in C Standard tuning (I have a 5150III 50w also). Beautiful if matte black is your thing.

For the price, it's practically disposable.

Tony Ramon

I'm just reading!!!
Reaction score
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic

One of the cheapest guitars out there but I just love the thing, sounds SO damn chunky in C Standard tuning (I have a 5150III 50w also). Beautiful if matte black is your thing.

For the price, it's practically disposable.
Interesting. I'd never even heard of these guitars!

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm running a 1993 Studio Lite w/ the Zakk EMGs....we play in D standard with occasional drop-C. Every LP I've tried was awesome. I went w/ studio lite b/c my back likes to function.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I am a Gibson fan and own several Gibsons but i admit they are overpriced and not the same quality as they used to.

I cant recomment enough Edwards Les Pauls.Great instruments,Seymour Duncan pickups,long tenon,solid body,neck is something between 50s and 60s and very reasonable priced.

I would get an Edwards Les Paul Custom in a heartbeat even though i own Gibsons.If i would look for another Gibson i would propably get a Classic from the 90s.

Tony Ramon

I'm just reading!!!
Reaction score
I am a Gibson fan and own several Gibsons but i admit they are overpriced and not the same quality as they used to.

I cant recomment enough Edwards Les Pauls.Great instruments,Seymour Duncan pickups,long tenon,solid body,neck is something between 50s and 60s and very reasonable priced.

I would get an Edwards Les Paul Custom in a heartbeat even though i own Gibsons.If i would look for another Gibson i would propably get a Classic from the 90s.
Food for thought..
I thank you.
:bowdown:

Der JD

Reaction score
I had GAS real bad for a Les Paul a while back. After doing a lot of research I came to the conclusion that the Traditional Pro II would be the one for me. I think it's a Guitar Center/Musicians Friend exclusive. I like the 57 Classic/57 Super PUs, satin finish on the neck, locking Grover tuners, coil splits, and no Min-E-Tune. A lot cheaper than a Standard too. I think new they go for around 2 grand. Could probably get them cheaper during a sale or if they blow out the current model near the end of the year.

neoclassical

FENRISMAW
Reaction score
Petty obsessions. If this is heaven, how bad is he
Trad pro 2, Traditional, Standard, and Sig T are all fine LPs. Avoid 2006-2010 IIRC as these are the chambered years. Mine is a 2005 Standard Limited ed, and is a great axe with an ebony board. Used LP's are usually a good value if you know how to spot a fake.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Close your eyes and pick up an ESP Eclipse and you will question why you ever wanted a Gibson.

Omura

Reaction score
Buy any brand except Gibson. Buy an ESP/LTD/Edwards but a PRS, buy a schecter or ibanez. Just don't buy a Gibson. In the 6 years I've been playing guitar, I've played about 7-8 real gibsons in stores or from my guitar teacher. Bad binding, broken nuts, chipped nuts, poorly cut nuts, sharp fret ends, uneven frets, guitars that arrived in store with cracked necks, sharp bridge ends, finish overflowin onto fretboards, dry, cracked fretboards, loose input jacks and pots on fresh from the factory guitars. At no point are Gibson guitars worth anywhere near the price tga they charge. I picked up a Gibson BFG with worse fit and finish than any sub $300 guitar, yet they try to charge over $1500 for it.