Recorded vocals on a couple originals...

• Thread starter JEngelking
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So this is the first time I'm sharing my singing in a public forum, so go easy on me. :lol:

I've shared with family and a couple friends and gotten positive feedback from them, but after practicing frequently over the past few years I'm finally at a point where I'm getting comfortable hearing my vocal recordings by themselves such as in these examples as opposed to having a backing when doing a cover, etc..

I have an album I've been recording over the past year and a half or so, and I'm finally done writing and am getting ready to release it, with just the vocals left to record. It's a little over an hour of music, with twelve songs, which I've written with vocals in mind. Ten of those songs I'm planning to record vocals on.

Now my question is: based on these recordings, would I be ruining my album by having my voice over it? These aren't the final vocal mixes, but nonetheless... Let me know what you guys think, gently of course. :lol:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/oceansbuiltonsinkingships/sauronkraut-master-w-vocals/s-7uCzs[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/oceansbuiltonsinkingships/rotting-frame-w-vocals/s-nAHWu[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think it could use some work, but it's not that bad. Your annunciation/pronunciation (not sure which word is appropriate) is a little off sometimes. I dunno if you have an accent or something, but some of your "i" sounds come out as "o" sounds. Like the word "time" sounds more like "toym". In some contexts it's not too bad, but if you overdo it, it sounds bad. Some of the yells could also use some work. The yell at 6:50 on the first track is good. Do more of that. The yells at 1:06 of the second song are not so good. Do less of that.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I think it could use some work, but it's not that bad. Your annunciation/pronunciation (not sure which word is appropriate) is a little off sometimes. I dunno if you have an accent or something, but some of your "i" sounds come out as "o" sounds. Like the word "time" sounds more like "toym". In some contexts it's not too bad, but if you overdo it, it sounds bad. Some of the yells could also use some work. The yell at 6:50 on the first track is good. Do more of that. The yells at 1:06 of the second song are not so good. Do less of that.

Thanks for the listen, and for the feedback! It's much appreciated. Yeah that yelling on the second song was kind of a guess for me, I don't know how to false chord scream well (which is how I envisioned it to begin with). I'll try to write a melody for that bit instead.

I don't have an accent actually (Midwesterner here :lol:), that's just kind of how it came out. I felt like it either helped those lines flow well, or they sounded out of place.

Listening back, there's a couple things I'm hearing where it sounds a little pitchy, so I'll keep working on it. Thanks again for the advice. :)

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Oh, I think if you click the link they should work, I have them as private which might not work with the embedding.