Recording/Studio Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread - Megathread

• Thread starter ThePIGI King
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
For starters, here's a telltale sign of an upload this is absolutely not worth your time:
417502654_885493726909623_598361540742817313_n.jpg
So far the only two I've even given the light of day are Frightbox(?) and Joey Sturgis.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
For starters, here's a telltale sign of an upload this is absolutely not worth your time:
TO BE FAIR I think Glenn Frickers early recording tutorials are awesome, he really helped me get started recording metal drums and guitars when I had no idea where to start. However, I think his content just got less focused on the info and more on his (annoying) online persona as the grumpy sound guy.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Yeah I too have some quick questions about recording like..

1. how does one record?

2. how does one not sound like shit?

1. Some kind of DAW with some kind of audio interface. Or just get a tape machine.

2. Good in=Good out. You can only polish a turd so much. Recording yourself will highlight all your mistakes and force you to examine your tone, your playing, everything, more closely. If you're recording a good band with good songs its hard to make it sound bad. Much the same, if you're recording an inexperienced band with lame songs no amount of studio magic can save you despite what many people think.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
So another quick question.

I have a cheap pair of closed back headphones -ATH20s. They add a lot of mids/high end to everything. I would never mix with them.

Would it be wise to get a better pair of closed backs or get a decent pair of open back? I'm eventually going to have both, but for now, what would be best? I will be programming drums and tracking bass here hopefully in the next month or so, time permitting.

And if it means anything, I'm looking at:
Beyerdynamics DT770 pro 80ohm
Audio Technica ath50x
Beyerdyamics DT990 Pro 250ohm

Or at least in that budget...

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
So another quick question.

I have a cheap pair of closed back headphones -ATH20s. They add a lot of mids/high end to everything. I would never mix with them.

Would it be wise to get a better pair of closed backs or get a decent pair of open back? I'm eventually going to have both, but for now, what would be best? I will be programming drums and tracking bass here hopefully in the next month or so, time permitting.

And if it means anything, I'm looking at:
Beyerdynamics DT770 pro 80ohm
Audio Technica ath50x
Beyerdyamics DT990 Pro 250ohm

Or at least in that budget...
I have DT880 Pro 250 Ohm and DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (because I'm stupid)
I preferred the 880 but a lot of people also like mixing on 770, it's a very iconic headphone. If you're gonna buy 770, don't buy the 80 Ohm version, 250 Ohm are the ones meant for mixing and studio. It says so on the website, they're the same price too. Don't be like me 🤦

TO BE FAIR I think Glenn Frickers early recording tutorials are awesome, he really helped me get started recording metal drums and guitars when I had no idea where to start. However, I think his content just got less focused on the info and more on his (annoying) online persona as the grumpy sound guy.
I hated them. This was in 2015 when I started and I was trying to learn everything and watching one of his "tutorials" about mixing the bass, and dude's like "yeah just run this through a Distressor and it'll sound great". Meanwhile there I was with a Scarlett 2i4 and a Harley Benton bass trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong 🤦
Yeah, great advice for someone who's just starting out, just run this shit through a 2.3k Euro compressor duhh

Same with the drums & guitars. "I recorded these drums with my friend Mr. Great Drummer in my pro equipped studio" 🤓
"I recorded these guitars with a 100W 5150 and a Mesa cab in my professional studio, sounds awesome, so easy" 🤓

Just absolutely useless and unrelatable for a beginner who's just starting out.. 👎👎👎

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
When it comes to monitoring on anything, I tend to land on team "it doesn't matter what you use, as long as you understand its weaknesses so you can anticipate how it will translate". IMO the best thing you can do is target accuracy and coverage. You don't need a lot of bass, you just need it to be present at all. You don't need the most pleasing sonic profile, you just need to be able to hear everything clearly. You don't need sharp boosted high end, you need high end that reaches high enough and doesn't phase all over the place.

sounds awesome, so easy
The unfortunate thing is there's an element of truth to this -> 'cause it's following the principle of Good In = Good Out, just without saying that part out loud.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
This is year 6 or 7 I’ve been recording and mixing myself and the biggest thing I regret/wish I did differently was upgrading my studio monitors sooner.

While you can eventually come to a mix by checking it in various systems/vehicles, there’s still a shitload of information I was not learning all the years I was on HS-5’s, namely how frequencies work together and how they effect perceivable volume.

Best example I can make is when I first got my HS-8’s I started recording, the click track started as normal, but when the music started the click got buried in the mix. I never once experienced that with the HS-5’s because of the limited frequency range they work in.

I thought I was basically going to get the HS8’s and start firing off mixes that sounded how I wanted, now I’m learning all the shit I should have learned in the last 5 years.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
This is year 6 or 7 I’ve been recording and mixing myself and the biggest thing I regret/wish I did differently was upgrading my studio monitors sooner.

While you can eventually come to a mix by checking it in various systems/vehicles, there’s still a shitload of information I was not learning all the years I was on HS-5’s, namely how frequencies work together and how they effect perceivable volume.

Best example I can make is when I first got my HS-8’s I started recording, the click track started as normal, but when the music started the click got buried in the mix. I never once experienced that with the HS-5’s because of the limited frequency range they work in.

I thought I was basically going to get the HS8’s and start firing off mixes that sounded how I wanted, now I’m learning all the shit I should have learned in the last 5 years.
This is interesting, actually makes me take a step back about the monitors I wanna buy. I made a thread about this already..
I wanted to buy Neumann's, either KH80 or KH120 as an upgrade from my LSR305. They're 4 and 5 inches.
But you've had a great improvement from a sidegrade? A size upgrade? Because they are basically the same monitor tier, just bigger? Like you get more info in the sound, without raising the volume, in a small room? 🤔

asopala

Reaction score

I do have to give credit to Beato for his interviews, though. I just watched the one with Paul Gilbert, and that was amazing.

asopala

Reaction score

HS5s in my experience are actually pretty good when paired with the sub, but by themselves, I'm with you on that. I had a professor once say that they're useless without the sub, and he was playing his tracks on HS5s with the sub (this was just what they had in that small classroom). I never up until that point had that experience with those speakers in particular, and yeah, I think he's right. The sub is a necessity with HS5s.

That said, if you're mixing and you have a sub, if your room lacks audio room treatment (like what they sell at GIK Acoustics or REDI Acoustics), it's going to be a flubby mess very quickly if you turn up the volume in my experience. I found that was true even when things weren't crazy loud or anything, and I had tuned the subwoofer before that. Adding the treatment cleaned it up (and it got cleaned even more when I readjusted the sub to the new sonic environment).

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I preferred the 880 but a lot of people also like mixing on 770, it's a very iconic headphone. If you're gonna buy 770, don't buy the 80 Ohm version, 250 Ohm are the ones meant for mixing and studio. It says so on the website, they're the same price too. Don't be like me 🤦
Elaborate please?
I've had both of them and I haven't noticed any diffrence between them except loudness.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I expect most 5" monitors are going to need a sub. I know the whole "size and bass are unrelated" thing, in theory, but in practice I've never had 5" monitors I'd be happy with on their own. The 5" Rokits are probably the worst I've seen for this - where not only did the bass not really extend as far as you'd want, but they compensated for this by having a really weird mid-low-ish boost so that they sounded really "hyped". Someone who doesn't understand what they're hearing might go "wow! That's really bassy! Must be good!" but it's throwing accuracy right out the window, and made them worthless, IMO, for mixing.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Elaborate please?
I've had both of them and I haven't noticed any diffrence between them except loudness.
Here are a few articles from Beyerdynamic with information:

Basically from what I understand, 250 ohm have a clearer more detailed sound. They are different in bass and treble as it says in the articles. If you ask online people prefer the 250 Ohm model, especially for mixing. You just need an interface that can drive them. So 80 Ohm and 32 Ohm are better for laptops or smartphone..
I really felt a difference going from 770 80 Ohm to 880 250 Ohm, but they are different models so...

tedtan

Reaction score
Closed back will be better if you end up tracking vocals, acoustic instruments, etc. because they won’t bleed into the mic as bad. Open back are better for listening, though, because they can be more accurate, plus you can wear them longer without as much fatigue. Also, if you get a higher impedance model, make sure your interface or headphone amp can drive them properly or they’ll be pretty quiet, even at max volume.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Closed back will be better if you end up tracking vocals, acoustic instruments, etc. because they won’t bleed into the mic as bad. Open back are better for listening, though, because they can be more accurate, plus you can wear them longer without as much fatigue. Also, if you get a higher impedance model, make sure your interface or headphone amp can drive them properly or they’ll be pretty quiet, even at max volume.
I know you didn't quote me, but the guy you quoted did (quote-ception?) - I've never had headphones that needed driven. Is this something that a focusrite scarlett can do? Or will I need something different?

I also have powered presonus eris 4.5s - would the headphone jack on that power the 250ohm?

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I know you didn't quote me, but the guy you quoted did (quote-ception?) - I've never had headphones that needed driven. Is this something that a focusrite scarlett can do? Or will I need something different?

I also have powered presonus eris 4.5s - would the headphone jack on that power the 250ohm?
Depends which generation Scarlett you have. I was looking to upgrade to DT770s in the near future and only the Gen 4 has a headphone out that supports up to 300ohm, I think the previous generations maxed out at 200 or 150.

I don't see the headphone jack impedance listed on Presonus' website for the Eris 4.5, but if I were a gambling man, I'd say that they likely don't have enough power behind them to run 250ohm cans.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends which generation Scarlett you have. I was looking to upgrade to DT770s in the near future and only the Gen 4 has a headphone out that supports up to 300ohm, I think the previous generations maxed out at 200 or 150.

I don't see the headphone jack impedance listed on Presonus' website for the Eris 4.5, but if I were a gambling man, I'd say that they likely don't have enough power behind them to run 250ohm cans.
Okay - thanks for the insight! I also know very little about electronics, so I appreciate the help.

Maybe now I need a Gen4 Scarlett...yay more money spent lol

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Okay - thanks for the insight! I also know very little about electronics, so I appreciate the help.

Maybe now I need a Gen4 Scarlett...yay more money spent lol
When I bought my DT880 (which are 250 ohm) I was still using my 1st gen Scarlet 2i4, which technically might not have enough juice to drive those headphones? Anyway they worked fine, just had to crank the headphone out louder compared to the DT770 with 80 ohm. I don't know if I was missing out on anything by doing that.
Eventually I bought the Audient iD14 mk 2, one of the biggest selling points for me was that it was able to drive high impedance headphones like this. So switching interfaces I didn't notice too much of a difference

This information can be a bit hard to find, it depends on the manufacturer. For example Audient advertises the high impedance headphones thing.
Line 6 Helix if you search a bit also brags about being able to drive even 2 pairs of high impedance headphones if you wanted to.
Some others barely say anything so you don't really know...

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
This is interesting, actually makes me take a step back about the monitors I wanna buy. I made a thread about this already..
I wanted to buy Neumann's, either KH80 or KH120 as an upgrade from my LSR305. They're 4 and 5 inches.
But you've had a great improvement from a sidegrade? A size upgrade? Because they are basically the same monitor tier, just bigger? Like you get more info in the sound, without raising the volume, in a small room? 🤔

That last line, more info on the sound without raising the volume, is a HUGE part of it. But going back to smaller speakers, if they aren’t capable of producing the low frequency range, it doesn’t matter how loud you crank them, you’re just not going to hear it.

If you have a Guitar Center by you, see if they have he monitor display section. All 3 by me have one where you can plug your phone in to check out your own music on them. They all have KRK’s, Yamaha’s and Adam’s in the 3 popular sizes. Really quick way to hear what I’m talking about.