Recording with an Axe Fx II

• Thread starter DragonGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Hey, so I really want to start recording sometime soon so I'm looking into better gear and recording equipment and I just wanted some clarity on how it works using the axe fx as an audio interface. From what I understand it connects via USB to your computer and takes both the output and raw signal directly from the unit to your DAW? So it would eliminate the need for mics, a different audio interface, tons of cables etc, as well as effects pedals (unless you wanted something in particular thats not on the axe).

And how about using it as an interface to record acoustic? I guess you would need an acoustic/electric?

I have always had an axe fx in mind as something I want to get eventually, but I thought I would start out with cheaper equipment first, but if you add up the cost of pedals, mics, extra cables, and a separate interface, it starts getting pretty expensive, so now I'm thinking I may just get the axe fx straight up.

What do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

remus1710

Reaction score
so i had my axe for 3 moths now... and i m nowhere near an expert but i can tell you some things... i connect my axe to my mac via usb... my daw of choice (logic pro x in this case) know that my axe is connected and switches automatically to the built in interface... but you can switch manually in the settings...my axe has my monitors (yamaha hs7) connected and the sound comes through them... You can record that way you just need 3 audio cable for that (in my case 2 xlr and one 1/4) and the usb cable

in my opinion this is the easiest way... i don t do pro recordings and i m trying just to have fun... and the sound is stellar :) hope that helps

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
so i had my axe for 3 moths now... and i m nowhere near an expert but i can tell you some things... i connect my axe to my mac via usb... my daw of choice (logic pro x in this case) know that my axe is connected and switches automatically to the built in interface... but you can switch manually in the settings...my axe has my monitors (yamaha hs7) connected and the sound comes through them... You can record that way you just need 3 audio cable for that (in my case 2 xlr and one 1/4) and the usb cable

in my opinion this is the easiest way... i don t do pro recordings and i m trying just to have fun... and the sound is stellar :) hope that helps

Thanks. Have you tried to record acoustic at all with it?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I imagine you could plug a mic into the axe fx input with no issues if you didn't want to use a magnetic or piezo pickup. Tons of mic pre's to use in the axe fx ii also.

You can then record guitar or bass direct with no need for mics, external effects, etc.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
I imagine you could plug a mic into the axe fx input with no issues if you didn't want to use a magnetic or piezo pickup. Tons of mic pre's to use in the axe fx ii also.

You can then record guitar or bass direct with no need for mics, external effects, etc.

So you could record a regular acoustic guitar that way by just plugging a mic into the axe? Thanks, wasn't sure if you could do that

Shask

Reaction score
So you could record a regular acoustic guitar that way by just plugging a mic into the axe? Thanks, wasn't sure if you could do that

You would have to have a mic with a 1/4" plug. The Axe doesn't have XLR inputs.