RectoFET - Mesa Rectifier based JFET preamp

• Thread starter albatros_1994
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

albatros_1994

Kungen
Reaction score
Hi guys, i've been working on a all JFET amp/preamp in the last 2 weeks, the basic idea was to start from a pure Mesa Rectifier circuit and than tweak it to make it sound as good as i can. I run the BF245B at 26v(i find it easier to manage the clipping at higher voltage), biased by ear. I know the 3th stage is not using a 39K, 10K is already a very cold clipper with this setup. I barely need bypass caps as the gain is already very very high. Most of the tweaks i've done are made to increase the high frequency gain/clipping(more aggressive and tight), reduce low-end fuzziness and adapt the inter-stage signal volume to the input/output range of these JFETs. I recorded some basic stuff while i play around with some potentiometers, the signal goes from the preamp you see directly to a 2xEL84 tube power amp(no depth or presence from that), i record the output of the loadbox and than apply an IR (mix of 2 IRs, a V30 CAB and a Mesa Oversize + SM57). I never heard a boosted Rectifier in real life, does this sounds like one?
i wanna work more on the presence/depth circuit to make it sound "bigger", the EQ might need some work too, and than put everything on a PTP board, if the end result is good.

RectoFET Schematic.pngphoto_2024-06-22_21-20-04.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

albatros_1994

Kungen
Reaction score
I added a Presence knob as the original amp (3.3nF+Pot to Ground) and lowered the slope resistor in the tone stack to 47K as the original one (i was using 51 o 56K). Recorded exacly the same way with the same IRs.
Better i think

##Damn Soundcloud sounds really bad##

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's sounding promising, right now it sounds very scooped and metallic which is cool, I would be curious to hear how it sounds when dialing more mids in.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It does has a trademark Mesa sound to it. With the right EQ you might be there.