Red is the new (trans) Black [ESP Restomod #2 M-II Complete]

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So a couple years ago I wound up finding this custom order ESP M-II:

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.14.38 PM.png

Admittedly, it looks pretty awesome there! It's going to make the reveal anticlimactic, so you have to take my word that it didn't look this nice in real life. The camera does weird things with these old ESP finishes. So this was originally trans-black, but it became a sort of greenish/brown weird color over time. In the room it wasn't anything to write home about and it had big scuffs in the clearcoat along all the edges, down to the bare wood. I knew I wanted to refinish it, and did some photoshops in various colors, until basically landing on this pretty unanimously between my own opinion and people I asked:

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 6.54.00 PM.png

Overall this was too cool. I was trying to match the color of ESP trans black cherry, which I always thought looked really nice on some of the highend ESP singlecut quilt tops. So printed this out, and some other ESPs with that color stock and headed over to ESP. They require printouts, you can't send them photos or paint codes or anything. It's a bit annoying because I can look at the printout and see how the inks were just not good enough to capture the image, so in essence, they want you to print it for reproducibility that monitor variances might affect, but the whole process of printing ruins it by an even greater margin. Anyway it is what is.

The cool thing about this guitar is the top is ridiculously thick. I thought we'd highlight that by making the back a darker color, and eventually settled on black for the non-maple areas, and red for all the maple areas. That would mean that in painting the back of the neck (to cover a bunch of weird discoloration that was there) it should contrast well with the headstock veneer. But the whole idea gave me a ton of apprehension and basically second guessed it every few weeks while it was gone.

So after I think about two years with no updates (except the time we had to physically come in just to clarify that "trans black cherry" is the same as "see through black cherry" that is in the JP color codes), it's done. When the guy walked around the corner with it I flipped out.

DSC00396.jpg
DSC00401.jpg
DSC00403.jpg
dsc00405-jpg.136653

DSC00407.jpg
DSC00408.jpg
DSC00416.jpg
DSC00418.jpg

Not my best photos, the light was really harsh this morning. The finish is super glossy and it already got dusty sitting around overnight. But anyway, it's not exactly what I wanted here -- a bit more "blood red" than the originally which had some "plum" in it, but it is what it is and I think it's pretty killer in its own right, and in the end I really liked the black/red contrast on the sides.

A bonus was that the tech guy at BigBoss, who we have now had sooo many interactions with, thought it was a bit sad to put on the old rusty hardware so he replaced the screws and stuff with new ones as a service. I was going to do that anyway so much appreciated. I've spent a ludicrous amount of money there and it hasn't gotten me a discount, but I appreciate we did get some perk :D

So this marks the first time in 4 years I haven't been waiting for any guitars to finish up at BigBoss... time to think of the next thing?

Attachments

• DSC00405.jpg
    924.3 KB · Views: 243

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The quilt pops so much more in red. It's way more three dimensional.... Like looking down a rocky mountain or something.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Reaction score
And what an absolute SLAB of a top, holy shit!

Yea, I like back in the day they'd do weird shit like this. I have another strat that is not as nice quilt but pretty close in terms of thickness. Now I guess they turn that into like 20 edwards veneers.

@Crungy is right on the money, that top is fucking dummy thicc, holy shit. I'm sure that thing pops like a son of a bitch when the full light hits it.

This is pretty much the full-on light color. I actually like it more in less direct light, but it's been a bitch to photograph and I'm in the middle of a couple projects that have scattered stuff all over my usual photo spots.

wierzbowski

Reaction score
At first I thought the see-through black was fine, perfectly acceptable. But those pictures of the new finish are stellar. You made the right call!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It's for sale and will probably be sold tomorrow, so hey, the ball's in your court on that one :D
Hah, I wish - terrible timing now for personal reasons, sadly. I am just salty as a guy that was selling one years ago bailed last second and then the new line-up for Sugizo's guitars came up - sans that model. It's one of those axes I've always found ridiculously cool!

narad

Reaction score
Hah, I wish - terrible timing now for personal reasons, sadly. I am just salty as a guy that was selling one years ago bailed last second and then the new line-up for Sugizo's guitars came up - sans that model. It's one of those axes I've always found ridiculously cool!

It's a very interesting model, I've always gravitated towards them a bit for being unique but still looking a bit timeless and classy. I think overall though (and especially in terms of comfort) I still prefer horizons.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
That this is sooo beautiful.

How big are the frets on that Sugizo? He tends to favor vintage style frets I think, so I shy away from his sigs.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
It's a good thing I live on the other side of the world, else I'd buy way too much stuff from you.
Dat headstock.

Latest posts