Remember old school thrash metal-Testament SOD Flotsam & Jetsam Exodus Death Angel

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
SOD was in my discman ALL throughout highscool!! love that shit

:lol: well fancy pants my SOD was in my Walkman - tape player version :lol:

My favs along with others that have already been named..

Plus 1000 on Testament's "The New Order"

Devastation - "Idolatry"
Kreator - "Terrible Certainty"
Cyclone Temple - "I Hate Therefore I Am"
Demolition Hammer - "Tortured Existence"
Crumbsuckers - "Beast On My Back"
Nuclear Assault - "Survive" and "Handle With Care"

cool, i will have to check out a couple of these bands you mentioned. too bad we didnt have the internet back then cause all this stuff was so underground. alot of this was word-of-mouth. you had to search & search for the music cause none of the big retailers carried it.

you forgot D.R.I. \m/
lawnmower death
anthrax
forced entry
and a few others i dont remember now lol.

no i didnt. their crossover album was on my orig list. this it where they started sounding more thrash & less punk - or more of a mix anyway.

ha, forced entry - i knew the ex-drummer, he's the one i got alot of copies from. he even gave me copies of pantera demos, sound checks, rehersels from back when they were more of a glam band. i need to try to find those.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I mainly remember the first one, Heavy Metal Maniac, which is the cover you described. Here's their wiki page with a bunch of info on them.

:yesway: yes that was album. thx for the info too.

Awesome thread!! haha!! :hbang:

Exodus Definitely!! love em! they are still rocking it too the last three albums are awesome old school thrash! Can't wait for Exhibit B to finally come out!

man i just bought their cd where the new line-up redid "bonded by blood". its called "let there be blood". it is awesome, the orig songs with updated sound without taking away from the old school feel. the album cover is even a near copy of the orig. banned cover that has the the 2 twin babies (one normal, one with horns) connected by flesh being torn apart.

Great disc. "Violence and Force" is good, too - both very raw, but very aggressive.

:yesway: thanks, that is the name of the other album i had. i need to get it soon.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Gawd! I remember a goodly amount of the bands mentioned. Don't forget Metal Church. I saw them open for Anthrax back in '87. A great show!

what? a girl who likes old school thrash metal? :lol: thanks for the vids. i love anthrax, especially their older stuff plus and the work they did with Bill Milano on SOD & MOD projects.

:yesway: Thanks to all who put in their two cents! Help us keep it alive! :yesway:

Skylark

Giver of Names
Reaction score
Those were the days...
I grew up with these bands
D.R.I. was the first band I saw live 1986 and the late 80s had great bands

To put it in line
1. Overkill
2. Death Angel
3. Carnivore
also Heathen were great

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I deem this thread tr00!

:yesway: i love this stuff. thanks for the input & vids!

I still listen to that stuff.

i do too but alot of the younger guys i know dont or rarely do so i thought i would start this thread to see who else out there remembered.

Those were the days...
I grew up with these bands
D.R.I. was the first band I saw live 1986 and the late 80s had great bands

To put it in line
1. Overkill
2. Death Angel
3. Carnivore
also Heathen were great

i love dri too. death angel is one of my all time favs! gonna have to check out carnivore - somehow they slipped past me.

thanks guys for more good stuff!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Ahh, Coroner, Voivod, Flotsam and Jetsam, lovely stuff. Favorite thrash bands (cept maybe Celtic Frost):hbang:

wow, coroner & celtic frost - glad somebody remebered!

WTF pg2 and no Sepultura???

and no SLAYER??

good ol'e Canadian thrash

well slayer was mentioned a couple times but you are right about sepultura.

remebered touniquet & deliverance? - also great little known thrash bands.

who else are we forgetting? anybody?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
wish we could see the big 4 on tour here playing nothing but the early stuff!

for noobs - here are the big 4

metallica
slayer
megadeth
anthrax

anybody else know anything or want to contribute?

MJS

Reaction score
wish we could see the big 4 on tour here playing nothing but the early stuff!

for noobs - here are the big 4

metallica
slayer
megadeth
anthrax

anybody else know anything or want to contribute?

Put Metallica on first so I can show up late and miss them. :D

They were my favorite band for years (even saw them live with Cliff), but they just turned into such whiny pussies that I don't know if I could keep from vomiting, even if they promised to not play anything newer than Master of Puppets (maybe even And Justice for All). :lol:

BlackMetalVenom

Vallz und Veinaz
Reaction score
....and 20 years from now guys will be saying - man, i remember in flames, necrophagist, all that remains, meshuggah and.....

And they'll also be saying, "Yeah yeah old man, nobody cares."
When we try and tell the younger generation of the golden metal yester years. Man, I'm feeling old.... :shred:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Put Metallica on first so I can show up late and miss them. :D

They were my favorite band for years (even saw them live with Cliff), but they just turned into such whiny pussies that I don't know if I could keep from vomiting, even if they promised to not play anything newer than Master of Puppets (maybe even And Justice for All). :lol:

i know what you mean. they are still my fav cause of the albums killem all thru garage days revisited & like you said some of justic. ive seen them too and it is a great show.

as far as being whiny - i started to make a thread a few days ago of what a better band they would be if lars :)noway:) was not in the band. every time he opens his mouth something stupid comes out ever other sentence. you can trace most of their problems, set backs & inner fighting on him...funny considering he is the most replacable member in the band.

And they'll also be saying, "Yeah yeah old man, nobody cares."
When we try and tell the younger generation of the golden metal yester years. Man, I'm feeling old.... :shred:

ive felt old for a while - started this thread to see it anyone else here was over 35 yrs. now i know how those older dudes felt who were always talking about the days of led zepplin & black sabbath :lol:

MJS

Reaction score
i know what you mean. they are still my fav cause of the albums killem all thru garage days revisited & like you said some of justic. ive seen them too and it is a great show.

as far as being whiny - i started to make a thread a few days ago of what a better band they would be if lars :)noway:) was not in the band. every time he opens his mouth something stupid comes out ever other sentence. you can trace most of their problems, set backs & inner fighting on him...funny considering he is the most replacable member in the band.

I never liked Lars, even when they were my favorite. I never really thought Kirk was too great of a guitarist either... but he never bothered me like Lars.

Back then, I really thought of Metallica as mainly James & Cliff... so the bus crash didn't help. I like to think Cliff either would have kept them in line... or at least quit the band when they turned into a bunch of girls.

I always thought Cliff getting killed instead of Lars was like John Lennon getting killed instead of Yoko. :D