Replacement pickups for Ibanez RGMS7 Multiscale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur McCay

Reaction score
I've been looking online and boutique is pretty much the only option. I ordered a bridge pup from Fokin (fokinpickups.com), the Undercut model which seems to be a fair alternative to BKP Aftermath. Even better from what I heard. Cost me around $70. Can't wait to put it on my rgms7! Will do a comparison video once I get my hands on the pup

Chabo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is still a very interesting topic, updates are welcome.
I'll say, there's a lot going on here, and slanting pickups is easy (but risky), it's getting the pole pieces lined up that'll often be the problem, the bridge is indeed widely spaced.
I have a (slanted) DiMarzio Liquifire 7 in the neck, no problemo, Seymour Duncan Sentient in the bridge, but no two coils have pole pieces lined up w/ the string.

Remember, Ibanez usually uses pickups for a guitar w/ +1 string for multi-scale setups (e.g. my 8 string ms Ibanez has EMG909s, for 9 strings, as stock).

But this weirdo has passives, and that's no problem in theory but unless you have the same dimensions on a pup w/ pole pieces like these, I think a possible solution for some might be to use an 8 string, passive pickup w/ rails for the bridge.
Also, for bridge or neck, slanting a 7 string passive pup may be easier w/out changing baseplates. Finding matching holes in the stock, slanted baseplates may prove difficult b/c of the stock pickup specs, but they're also plastic so modding them isn't too tough, and almost all congruent baseplates fit multi-scale Ibanez in bridge and neck (7 string passive mount baseplate will fit a multiscale 7 string, 8 string passive fits 8, any brand close to Duncan/Dimarzio specs etc.). The holes for the screws won't align, but you can at least move the pickup any direction after mounting the baseplate & choose where to screw it in.

Keep in mind grounding issues, pickups are usually soldered to a metal baseplate but the stock ones are plastic as mentioned (what's the name of the metal clip thing inside the pickup cavity on setups like these?)

I have a couple stacked humbuckers w/ rails (SD Hot Rails, Dmz Fast Track), I could use one with a single coil, slanted pickup ring, it might be just long enough for the bridge).