Returning to skateboarding after 23 years.

• Thread starter bastardbullet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bastardbullet

Reaction score
Hey,

So, i’m almost 39 and my skateboard itch just revived lately. Back in the day, i wasn’t the best but was able to achive a bunch of simple tricks like 180 front side, pop shuvit and some crooked kickflips. Never had any broken bones or a serious injury other than a ton of bruises and scratches here and there. Well, guess i’m back for it.

Last weekend, we were out with my wife and she just saw an 8” element complete board at some sports store. She was telling me that we had to buy it but i thought she was just flattering me. Than we sat down at the coffee shop, she got disappeard for a second and came back with a huge box with her. She knew how much i loved skate and stuff, so there it was.

I’ve skated every time i‘ve had the chance in between 95 - 99 and there were nothing like youtube or anything to look up for tips & tricks so easily. We’ll see how it goes now. My first ollie attempt was interestingly successful, at least i’ve landed it without killing myself but i forgot to record it.

Today i had to leave for a 6 days layover duty so, here’s a stupid me in uniforms right before the flight;

8CDA0D43-BF9B-4F2C-9E25-424FB46DB09F.jpeg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hey man! Thats awesome. Skateboarding was my life until about 18, really thinking about getting back into it as well to keep in shape.

Reaction score
I did some sk8ting in my teens, between early to mid 90s, until got into college. By then I swapped sk8 for Kung Fu and never looked back. Completely different stuff, obviously, but the sk8ing sounds and experience got stuck in my brain deeply. Whenever I hear a sk8ter passing by I immediately remember the thrills of being "on board" (pun intended). Whenever I'll go to a sports shop and see the skating section (inline/classic skates included) I always check it for a bit, either the hardware and the shoes...

What bummed me about sk8ting was that in order for someone to get good at it, one needed not to care about shoes, boards, wheels, trucks or anything really that relates to the sport itself... like your own bones or skin. This means a huge waste of material (wood, plastic/rubber, metal, griptape, skin) and money and I can't play with that, it hurts me not to care about something I payed for.

The freedom felt is unparalleled though... maybe similar to riding a bicycle, but not the same obviously. With BTT I can simply go off the map...

.. and sk8boarding alone (as a sport) is very unbalanced for the body, one has to compensate with something else or the injuries arise not from the falls but from the generic riding position... but I had a blast when doing so and it still fills a dear place in my memories (broken/twisted arm included is kind of hard to forget)...

The hits below the knee were too many to remember and always too strong to forget, that shit did hurt... I used to do street as in that time there were few to no sk8parks in my city, sometimes some miniramps and some downhill, but mostly street. There was a time my wheels got squared by the slides going down streets... good times.

... so, sorry for this positive/negative schyzo post of mine...

Good luck with that, have all the fun and none of the aches...

bastardbullet

Reaction score
I did some sk8ting in my teens, between early to mid 90s, until got into college. By then I swapped sk8 for Kung Fu and never looked back. Completely different stuff, obviously, but the sk8ing sounds and experience got stuck in my brain deeply. Whenever I hear a sk8ter passing by I immediately remember the thrills of being "on board" (pun intended). Whenever I'll go to a sports shop and see the skating section (inline/classic skates included) I always check it for a bit, either the hardware and the shoes...

What bummed me about sk8ting was that in order for someone to get good at it, one needed not to care about shoes, boards, wheels, trucks or anything really that relates to the sport itself... like your own bones or skin. This means a huge waste of material (wood, plastic/rubber, metal, griptape, skin) and money and I can't play with that, it hurts me not to care about something I payed for.

The freedom felt is unparalleled though... maybe similar to riding a bicycle, but not the same obviously. With BTT I can simply go off the map...

.. and sk8boarding alone (as a sport) is very unbalanced for the body, one has to compensate with something else or the injuries arise not from the falls but from the generic riding position... but I had a blast when doing so and it still fills a dear place in my memories (broken/twisted arm included is kind of hard to forget)...

The hits below the knee were too many to remember and always too strong to forget, that shit did hurt... I used to do street as in that time there were few to no sk8parks in my city, sometimes some miniramps and some downhill, but mostly street. There was a time my wheels got squared by the slides going down streets... good times.

... so, sorry for this positive/negative schyzo post of mine...

Good luck with that, have all the fun and none of the aches...
I get all your feelings man, thank you so much. I was the same; when ever we went to a sports store and come across the decks, boards i was telling my wife how much i missed everthing about skating. She always encouraged me to get back on the board but i was only acting like a half assed coward. But man, that first ever ollie after 23 years, shit, now i only need more. :)

Back in the day, it was all the same (if not worse) here in Turkey; no skate parks, no other place than streets and i’ve felt all the pains of not being able to reach proper gear, trucks, decks and etc.

After all these years, watching kids going for some crazy tricks here and there, riding decent boards, pushing the local authorities to build more skate parks in almost every city and knowing that now they have the opportunity and freedom to skate as they want just makes me feel so happy and sad at the same time. I envy them i guess.

Anyways, I’m not sure if i can reach back where i was once but i’ll try my best without causing a severe injury.

BTW below knee hits are a total nightmare. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get all your feelings man, thank you so much. I was the same; when ever we went to a sports store and come across the decks, boards i was telling my wife how much i missed everthing about skating. She always encouraged me to get back on the board but i was only acting like a half assed coward. But man, that first ever ollie after 23 years, shit, now i only need more. :)

Back in the day, it was all the same (if not worse) here in Turkey; no skate parks, no other place than streets and i’ve felt all the pains of not being able to reach proper gear, trucks, decks and etc.

After all these years, watching kids going for some crazy tricks here and there, riding decent boards, pushing the local authorities to build more skate parks in almost every city and knowing that now they have the opportunity and freedom to skate as they want just makes me feel so happy and sad at the same time. I envy them i guess.

Anyways, I’m not sure if i can reach back where i was once but i’ll try my best without causing a severe injury.

BTW below knee hits are a total nightmare. :)

I witnessed the sk8 board evolution in my days, from the Caballero's Dragon board (which I had one of those) to the first double tail/nose Tony Hawk one and from those to the more stream lined equal front/tail sized boards. From the boat look-a-like ones to the slim ones, from plastic rails underneath for board sliding protection to some weird plastic ply brands applied with the argument of being more slippery... by '96 all boards were about the same from whatever brand. A bit longer, a bit smaller but about the same. Same happened to wheels with bigger diameters at the early 90s and smaller and harder at mid 90s. I witnessed the disappearing of the truck's plastic "shims" (with 2 or 3 different heights) and the "new" screw holes for them to work with the board.

I did some cool tricks, landing seldom 360 kickflips, heel flips, grinds and what not. Did some pressure flips as well, nolies (nose olies), nolie flips/heel flips, switch side (I used to ride with the right foot in front, switching side is like going backwards) and do some seldom kick-flips... you know, street tricks mostly. Jump some stairs and small gaps. Mini half pipes were super cool to play at. If I get my feet over a sk8board, I think I can still throw some tricks, but I'll miss most, obviously.

I was into Powell brand. It was my Ibanez kind of thing. I don't remember having boards from any other...

@jaxadam kids these days will be like "What's a VHS tape?", lol... Suicidal Tendencies was the shit back then, along with some other obscure/unknown punk-rock-metal-hardcore bands... Steve Caballero had one as well and if I remember right, it sounded super nice...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Nice! I did it (terribly, to be honest) until my mid twenties, then gave it up. Because I sucked, haha. But that's awesome you are back into it. I'd LOVE to, but I'd really need to make it my job, because it just never came naturally to me.

mongey

Reaction score
Hey,

So, i’m almost 39 and my skateboard itch just revived lately. Back in the day, i wasn’t the best but was able to achive a bunch of simple tricks like 180 front side, pop shuvit and some crooked kickflips. Never had any broken bones or a serious injury other than a ton of bruises and scratches here and there. Well, guess i’m back for it.

Last weekend, we were out with my wife and she just saw an 8” element complete board at some sports store. She was telling me that we had to buy it but i thought she was just flattering me. Than we sat down at the coffee shop, she got disappeard for a second and came back with a huge box with her. She knew how much i loved skate and stuff, so there it was.

I’ve skated every time i‘ve had the chance in between 95 - 99 and there were nothing like youtube or anything to look up for tips & tricks so easily. We’ll see how it goes now. My first ollie attempt was interestingly successful, at least i’ve landed it without killing myself but i forgot to record it.

Today i had to leave for a 6 days layover duty so, here’s a stupid me in uniforms right before the flight;

View attachment 107108
get it man. 8 is small these days . I have 8.5 at the moment

I just turned 48 yesterday, and I skate when I can . like proper skate, Ill roll around with my young kids more often, but that doesn't really count as skating

I have a screwed together knee so I'm limited but I can still get out there in the park

My mate who just turned 50 built a 5ft mini ramp late last year . weather has been so shot this summer we have only skated it once so far.

its funny I started skating in 1987. back in the day there was no way some over 45 years old were getting in the park . but now its the norm

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
That's great! Man, I miss skateboarding a lot, but then I remember I quit skateboarding after too many injuries keeping me away from playing guitar. :lol:

So I had to choose and chose guitar. But then I started doing martial arts and as I'm writing this I'm wondering If I'm a masochist :rofl:

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
That's great! I miss it a lot, but then I remember I quit skateboarding after too many injuries kept me away from playing guitar, so I had to choose. Something tells me I chose right :lol:
Not going to lie, I know its hard to make money playing guitar, and a lot of people would laugh at someone quitting their job to try to make money playing guitar, but trying to make money skateboarding makes that look like a cakewalk. I'd say you picked the right course lol

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats man. I never successfully got an ollie down and just ended up playing guitar instead :lol:.

bastardbullet

Reaction score
Ok, today i’ve landed loads of ollies, a bunch of pop shove it and kickflips (which i still suck at). Besides causing the front side to turn slightly on my left unintentionally, most of my stationary tricks are just high & clean enough. In the end it’s been a while, right? Maybe i’d feel much comfortable while moving but i didn’t really have the urge today to hit the park since it was too cold and rainy all day.

I’ve lost my balance a lot but didn’t really fall, weirdly. BTW I’m having a hard time to put my front foot back on the board after the “flip” movement is completed. My back foot just lands on the correct position everytime like my muscle memory is coming back, but my left foot still feels lazy.

I’ll make it happen.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We used to skateboard in the mid 1970's, one day a friend and I held out a bed sheet in 40-50 MPH winds and took off down the road at a pretty fast clip! it was fun until we hit a patch of sand in the road and we wiped out pretty badly. 46 years later I still have the scars on my knees.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I used to ride around town with my bestie when I was in elementary school. Never really learned to do any tricks. I couldn't get the ollie down, but I almost managed a kickflip once :lol:
Cruising around was more my thing. Still have my last board tucked away in my basement.

When I got my drivers license, and my first car shortly after, the skating interest faded. I still love watching skate videos and playing skate games, though! :)

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I did the cruiser / mild downhill thing all through college. I miss it, mostly gave up when my boards got stolen... I have a couple now but I only tool around a bit in front of my house. Also too worried of injuring my hands and not being able to guitar.

bastardbullet

Reaction score
@TheBloodstained ; Nice man, i've tried like maybe 50 times for a decent kickflip, landed 3 or 4 with my front foot finally on the board BUT, not in the right places, never. My feet just land too close to each other at the moment, i have to improve it and it will take centuries.

@DoctorStoner ; Well, i don't mind if i mess up my hands and cannot play anymore since i don't really care about creating music, guitar, equipment and stuff anymore. Actually, i was so bored of everything music related lately. Maybe i'm accepting that i really suck at it and just getting away or this might just be another "cockblock" phase, i can't really tell. On the other hand, i really needed something to keep me away from overthinking about creating music cause it was my only "thing" for years without a reason or conclusion. I need to have a long break i guess. My only concern is to shatter my bones and not be able to work for a long period which would be a disaster for me financially, and i know i'm stupid enough to ignore this one.

Currently i'm assembling my "dream board" and decided to go total insane on it. I'll be back with all the details and visuals when everything arrives.

bastardbullet

Reaction score
Today has been fruitful;

2DD88F21-9284-450F-B773-D4E24F804FE6.jpeg

Necessary cats edition;

37C1388D-3EE3-42AE-B785-54603558DDE3.jpeg

I’m not the best neighbour, i admit;

The setup;

Madness 8.125” deck
Madness grip tape
Tensor mag light 5.25” trucks
Hazard 54mm conical wheels
Bronson bearings
Independent 92A bushings, shock pads & bolts

Probably i’ll start to torture the element complete first, then i’ll come back to this one. Not sure if i can tell the difference in between 8” and 8.125” but madness has some crazy steep tails which i’m loving a lot. Now i want to try out an 8.25” or maybe an 8.5” deck from them.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Today has been fruitful;

View attachment 107713

Necessary cats edition;

View attachment 107714

I’m not the best neighbour, i admit;

The setup;

Madness 8.125” deck
Madness grip tape
Tensor mag light 5.25” trucks
Hazard 54mm conical wheels
Bronson bearings
Independent 92A bushings, shock pads & bolts

Probably i’ll start to torture the element complete first, then i’ll come back to this one. Not sure if i can tell the difference in between 8” and 8.125” but madness has some crazy steep tails which i’m loving a lot. Now i want to try out an 8.25” or maybe an 8.5” deck from them.

Good for you man. Do it while you can.

I skated all through the 80s - grew up with Hawk, Caballero, Hosoi, Thrasher and Transworld Skateboarding magazines, etc. It was my life during Jr High and High School, and for a few years after.

Kinda gave it up in my early 20s. Not because I wanted to, but I lived in rural Ohio and there was nowhere to skate and no one to skate with. Plus jobs, cars, guitars, drugs, all that got in the way. So it just kind of faded away.

Moved to Arizona at 34 but I was still just into partying and dumb shit. There are amazing skateparks everywhere. Wish I had picked it up again as soon as I moved here.

Got my shit together a few years later. Decided I had to skate these amazing parks. After 20 years off the board, it didn't come back easily. Did something to my knee one of the first times out that took a while to heal.

Turned 50 last September and it's sinking in that I don't have the ability any more. I'm in decent shape, can run a mile in less than 7 minutes, but the agility just isn't there. In the last 4 years I've broken my nose and separated my shoulder skating. It took a long time, but I'm just about to admit I can't do it any more.

One of my biggest regrets is giving it up in the 90s and not starting again when I should have.