Reverend Guitars?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Really like the specs on their Sensei series. Attractive pricing and MIK to boot. QC-wise how do these stack up against similarly priced MIK ESPs and Schecters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I've got two and I'd put them both above any of my Indo and Korean made guitars ( which are actually very nice regarding finishes, fret-work, etc, etc). My Reverends are the most solidly built guitars that I own. Tuning stability of both of mine blow all my other guitars out of the water. The attention to EVERY detail... from nut-slots to finishing to cavity routing, electronics wiring, binding, etc, etc... absolutely impeccable. They come with nicely manufactured HSC's as well.

I'm comparing these Reverends to my Fender AmStd, two PRS SE's, several Jackson's, a few Schecter's, a US made Gibson, and several others. Only guitar that I have that comes close is my PRS S2 and I'd still give both Reverend's xtra points due to tuning stability and tone. Unless you just don't jive with a particular spec or something along that line, you're not going to be disappointed with the Sensei series imo.

FrashyFroo

Reaction score
I've never actually played a Schecter but I've played a number of LTDs and Reverends.

In terms of fit and finish the Reverends are at least as good as the LTDs. I've never held a Reverend that had anything obviously wrong with it apart from some slight sloppiness in the routing for the pickups. They're comfortable and sound pretty great from what I've experienced.

What I don't like about them is that the ones I played pretty much all had sharp frets. There was no sprout or anything. It's just that they don't round te fret ends. And I do kind of expect that from guitars in that price range. My local guitar store stocks them but they also have Japanese Tokais for around the same price and those are just better guitars imo.

eggy in a bready

Reaction score
can't speak on the mik ones, but the older usa made ones that i've played have all been legendary.

that being said, i really want a wattplower

b322d0cc-063c-4b1e-babb-2a2e855ba8e1-14297-00000c191173dfc3_tmp-jpg.1029960

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you made up your mind, but...

Reverend are really good guitars with great stock pickups. The pickups alone are custom shop grade IMO. Their designer and the former owner of Reverend Joe Naylor is a legend. If you haven't tried their Railhammer pickups they are amazing. Reverend is now owned by Ken Haas (he's the 6'7 guy in a lot of Wildwood and Greg Koch vids) who also seems like a great guy. Company appears well run, has no QC or shipping/stock issues, etc. I believe the guitars are MIK (Mirr Music Factory) but get final QC and set-up in the US (like G&L).

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood gearwhore
Reaction score
Every Reverend I've played has been great. At least on par with higher end LTDs and Schecters ime. I did play one Descent baritone that had some minor fret sprout but other than that they're pretty great. I still kick myself for not buying a Volcano a few years ago.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Sounds like you made up your mind, but...

Reverend are really good guitars with great stock pickups. The pickups alone are custom shop grade IMO. Their designer and the former owner of Reverend Joe Naylor is a legend. If you haven't tried their Railhammer pickups they are amazing. Reverend is now owned by Ken Haas (he's the 6'7 guy in a lot of Wildwood and Greg Koch vids) who also seems like a great guy. Company appears well run, has no QC or shipping/stock issues, etc. I believe the guitars are MIK (Mirr Music Factory) but get final QC and set-up in the US (like G&L).

The MIK, QCIUSA is how I understand it too.

Ken Haas is a real guitar enthusiast and even has (well definitely had) a matching pair of orignial green and purple swirled JEMs.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Was wanting a "back up" guitar with a TOM bridge. Was looking at a lot of LPs and MIJ LP copies, some Schecters, and some ESP 1000s, but the aesthetic of the Reverend Sensei sort of got to me. The fact I found a used one listed in excellent condition for $750 that was giving off this huge vintage Ibby vibe sort of sealed the deal.

And yeah, was really wanting to try those Railhammers anyways, so... ;)

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
can't speak on the mik ones, but the older usa made ones that i've played have all been legendary.

that being said, i really want a wattplower

b322d0cc-063c-4b1e-babb-2a2e855ba8e1-14297-00000c191173dfc3_tmp-jpg.1029960

Oh shit! Bernie's got out of politics and into music?!?

Every Reverend I've played has been great. At least on par with higher end LTDs and Schecters ime. I did play one Descent baritone that had some minor fret sprout but other than that they're pretty great. I still kick myself for not buying a Volcano a few years ago.

I know the feeling. I was hoping to snag one used myself, but they seem sort harder to find than any of their other models. If I ever saw one a black one with a mirrored pickguard though.... ;)

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Any 7 strings in their range? I knew a dude who had one, you could roll off for a more single coil sound. Played death metal on it but it wasn't tight, it had a cool, dark, evil thrash thing going.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any 7 strings in their range? I knew a dude who had one, you could roll off for a more single coil sound. Played death metal on it but it wasn't tight, it had a cool, dark, evil thrash thing going.

Just 6s.

Reactions: fps

Latest posts