RG2228 Owners Check-In

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Since the old RG2228 sticky was a bit dated as the guitar's been out for a bit now, a sticky for owners is in order.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
I got one, from the first run afaik.

having setup issues actually, if someone that knows what they are talking about wants to chime in pm to gimme a hand, please do.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol: both of you got yours from me. Yeah Kevin, the one I sold you was one of the first 6-8 in the USA according to Jason @ DCGL.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I got one, from the first run afaik.

having setup issues actually, if someone that knows what they are talking about wants to chime in pm to gimme a hand, please do.

Mine was an early one as well (from Matt's Music). Not much in the way of setup issues. The neck had to be adjusted after I brought it from Upstate New York to here in Portland Oregon (same with the bass) but otherwise it's been fine. I went down a whole step, but the overall string tension was just about the same, so no adjustment was needed. It plays and sounds fabulous and is my main (and only) solid body electric right now. I still would like a Floyd, piezos, and coil tapping options, but otherwise I'm :)

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
no matter how high the action is set it still frets out on the low f#(almost everywhere on the neck), i assume its a neck relief problem but its been setup and its not fixed. i dunno what to do about it.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
no matter how high the action is set it still frets out on the low f#(almost everywhere on the neck), i assume its a neck relief problem but its been setup and its not fixed. i dunno what to do about it.

:agreed: Yeah, check the neck with a straight edge. There should be a slight amount of curvature in there. Get that right first, that way you action can go as low as reasonably possible. Also be sure to read the neck adjustment instructions thoroughly in the book, they can be a bit confusing looking at the illustrations only.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Righto - count me in. From what I understand, the first batch for worldwide distribution was 50 instruments total, and from this first batch 9 went to Canada, of which mine was in the first two orders out the door. My other guitarist Vic has one of the originals also.

Wound

Reaction score
Got mine a couple of days ago...awesome guitar!
Love everything about it so far...got it tuned to drop A with a low E, sounds amazing!

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
I have one from the December batch that shipped. Im actually glad I waited because I dont know if they are all like that, but my frets are absolutely perfect ball ends. Maybe I just lucked out on whoever finished mine.

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
I also somehow got mine from the first batch,and i beleive as far as i know i got the first one in BC. Thats totally wierd kevin... mine was setup pretty great when i first got it, when i went to school for guitar repair i did a full setup and fret dress on it and it plays soooo damn good now. Still think this is the one of the greatest guitars i have played i think!

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe mine was from the first batch as well. I purchased mine from Long & McQuade here in Cowtown in early August '07. Haven't had any issues with mine as of yet. It played awesome right out of the box!! Funny story, I go into price one out for my own curiousity, and the guy says, "oh and it looks like we have one too." I was floored. :eek: Wasn't spoken for or nothing. So he spends the next 45 minutes going through their mess of a warehouse and finds it still in the box, unopened. We cracked it open and I had to leave with it that day. Defenitly my favourite guitar, and one of the best I've ever played!!:shred:

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
So, now that you guys have had them for a while, I`m curious to know if there is anything you would like to see changed on them?

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
it played amasing when i first got it, then i got a "tech" to change the strings and set it up and he did a bad job and now i can't seem to get anyone to set it up correctly. you should come visit, drink some beer and set up my guitar!

I also somehow got mine from the first batch,and i beleive as far as i know i got the first one in BC. Thats totally wierd kevin... mine was setup pretty great when i first got it, when i went to school for guitar repair i did a full setup and fret dress on it and it plays soooo damn good now. Still think this is the one of the greatest guitars i have played i think!

So, now that you guys have had them for a while, I`m curious to know if there is anything you would like to see changed on them?

slightly long scale length, better woods, neck through, piezos, trem. everything i'm getting from you except the trem!(which i might have to order from you soon.)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
slightly long scale length, better woods, neck through, piezos, trem. everything i'm getting from you except the trem!(which i might have to order from you soon.)

Unfortunately piezo + trem + 8 string = does not exist yet :(

Unless you know something I don't in which case spill it :lol:

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
Unfortunately piezo + trem + 8 string = does not exist yet :(

Unless you know something I don't in which case spill it :lol:

i wish! naw, i'm getting a sick 8 built by mike with everything but a trem on it. and then next time i'll probably go for the same, sans piezo + trem. Possibly fanned fret.

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
it played amasing when i first got it, then i got a "tech" to change the strings and set it up and he did a bad job and now i can't seem to get anyone to set it up correctly. you should come visit, drink some beer and set up my guitar!

Actually this is very plausible, we should almost set this up for a weekend or something. Learn some 8 string meshuggah or something to jam and just jam our own stuff or something knock back some brews etc... oh yeah and i can set up your guitar too lol :lol:

Krunch

Krunch SMASH
Reaction score

I really do like mine a lot but since you asked :lol:
I go back and forth about the EMGs. Sometimes I love them. Sometimes they sound too sloppy to me. I'm running mine at 18v now, which I think is an improvement, however I sacrificed what I liked about the clean sound to get there.

I think the bolt on basswood body construction is probably not best suited to the low notes. It would probably be better at a 28.625" scale, my hands aren't huge, so the reaches on a 30"+ scare me, but it would be nice if it was a smidge larger.

I really can't complain much though. It's a great guitar.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
i got a jam spot and a drummer, with a small amount of notice and 15 bucks for the night i think we could use it. Plus all you'd have to bring would be your guitar, i got enough amps to go around.pick a day, this weekend? haha

so i got annoyed and just said "fuck it". I started messing with the bridge and moved stuff around to where it looked better by the eye and it started playing better and ringing out better. So i messed with it some more. It could be better but its worlds better than what it was. go figure.

Latest posts