RG8 Pickguard Thread

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
So does anyone here know where I can get some matte black pickguard material? Some 7 string lifeguard templates would be helpful too.

vick1000

Reaction score
I don't think they make matte material for pickguards. All matte finishes are painted on plastics, as far as I know. You could get some regular black, and paint it with matte clear coat, or use a satin black 3M vyni covering.

mr coffee

Reaction score
Or you could find a plastics supplier and order what you really want. Hell, ebay even has stuff. Maybe .093 black delrin sheet or something, or just locate a local supplier and see what they have. The pickguard on my RS440 is matt black.

-m

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
Get a normal black pickguard and go over it with really fine sandpaper.

That's actually what I am contemplating. I've got standard black material for now, and I am weighing my options.

Anybody know where I can find some templates for a 7 string RG pickguard?? That's all I need now.

mr coffee

Reaction score
My recommendation if you are considering that approach is if you have access to a 1/4 sheet palm sander, stick a scotchbright pad on it and lightly go over the entire surface evenly. You can buy a sander for about $30 if you don't have one already, and it'll be good to have around for odd jobs. You'll get a much more even result without the directional streakiness that you'd get from hand sanding.

If you choose to use sandpaper, I would still recommend a sander, and just think of this as exactly the opposite of finishing. Start with something extremely fine, like 1000 grit or maybe 600. Do the entire surface lightly and evenly, and check your progress often by rinsing the surface with water and drying it. If it is still too glossy, go to 400. I'm thinking you won't want to go any coarser than that as it will make the surface significantly rougher to the touch.

-m

remorse is for the dead

Reaction score
12717834_995125607189986_7596628415060370347_n.jpg

Thanks to Lewis for hooking me up with Max.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ that looks awesome...love how it matches the finish of the pick up too

edit: btw...whats that v sitting in the corner? a jackson?

Nix_94

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
I got my pickguard from Max the other day, really impressed by the quality.
I did have to file the volume/tone holes larger in order to fit over the nuts but apart from that, this thing's perfect. I am gonna screw it down eventually, it's just taped on at the moment.
Cheers Max!
IMG_20160213_150701.png

IMG_20160213_150943.png

IMG_20160213_151041.png

lewis

Reaction score
FINALLY my month long ban is lifted!! haha. Guess I wont be asking people to share Kemper profiles they have purchased again, whoops.

Anyhow guys the above 2 RG8s with pickguards look killlllller. \m/ glad they came out as fine as that and both look stunning on the axes. I know shipping from the UK to the USA can be a lengthy and very ball aching process but after all that time and patience, these are defo worth it!!

metale

Reaction score
Were those made in Uk? I might be needing the contact please, guys, as I may be buying a RG8 and I'm in Europe :)

lewis

Reaction score

hey man, I think due to new work restrictions, he wont have the time anymore to do these sadly. At least for the time being. There is a shop on Ebay offering RG8 pickguards too if your dead set on one. :yesway:

metale

Reaction score
Oh that's a shame :(

Yeah, I saw those, but the are active-routed and the choice of colors/material is disaponting.

I'll try to get my luthier to make me one.