RGD2127Z tuning and string gauge suggestions?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi, I posted this also on some FB groups that I'm in and got some good answers, but I also wanted to aks over here:

what tuning and string gauge do you use on your RGD2127 or other RGD 7-string with the 26.5" scale?? Mine came stock in A standard tuning with a set of 010-059 I believe. I just took this guitar out of its case (after not even playing it for a few years) and I think it's a sick guitar, I also like the stock PUs. The string tension of the 10-59 set seems fine to me for A-standard, but I tried drop G and then the 7th string does feel a bit floppy, but maybe that's just a matter of me getting used it it, I dunno.
What would you guys suggest? I don't necessarily need to tune that low, but I jut wanted to try a drop tuning on one of my 7s since it facilitates those fat 4-5 string power chords and faster power chord riffing on the lowest strings.
Would this guitar with 10s-59s also do well in drop A (in which case I'd have to tun all the other strings up one whole step)?
Guess I'm just asking for some ideas of what other RGD 7 string users play in terms of tuning and string gauge.
Thanks!

BusinessMan

Reaction score
May not be perfect, but look into what dino Casarez used when he still played rgds. There were some songs on the last couple fear factory albums where he used drop G if I'm not mistaken

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Drop G on my RGD I would go for a set of 9 - 46 and add a 64~68 gauge. But I do like my high strings quite light.

Dino uses very light strings if i remember correctly so his preferences may not suit everyone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I have played in drop G on this guitar with 010-059 for a few days now and actually I almost feel like I can get used to this, but I might try a thicker 7th string on next string change. Or maybe tune up the whole guitar by 1/2 step to drop Ab.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have two RGDs, a 2127 and a 3127. The stock D'addario 10-59 strings work great for A or Bb (if you want a little more tension). I could not get along with the Slinky strings that I tried at A at all.

11-64 NYXL strings work great for G# and can pull off G pretty well. Then 9-54 can handle tuning up to B standard if one so desired. I have not been able to find a ready-made set larger than the 11-64 from D'addario. Keep in mind that the Gotoh SG tuners can only handle up to a 70 string. If you were able to use a 12-54 set and add a low 68, you may be able to get down to F, but that is about the limit without serious modifications.

The stock V87/V77 pickups are pretty decent. I eventually put a Seymour Duncan Nazgul in my 2127. The 3127 came with Fusion Edge pickups. I am probably dropping Alpha/Omega sets in both some time this summer.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have two RGDs, a 2127 and a 3127. The stock D'addario 10-59 strings work great for A or Bb (if you want a little more tension). I could not get along with the Slinky strings that I tried at A at all.

11-64 NYXL strings work great for G# and can pull off G pretty well. Then 9-54 can handle tuning up to B standard if one so desired. I have not been able to find a ready-made set larger than the 11-64 from D'addario. Keep in mind that the Gotoh SG tuners can only handle up to a 70 string. If you were able to use a 12-54 set and add a low 68, you may be able to get down to F, but that is about the limit without serious modifications.

The stock V87/V77 pickups are pretty decent. I eventually put a Seymour Duncan Nazgul in my 2127. The 3127 came with Fusion Edge pickups. I am probably dropping Alpha/Omega sets in both some time this summer.
Thanks!
Maybe I will get a regulat 6-stirng set of 10-46 nd add something like a 64 for drop G.
Do you have your either of your RGDs in a drop tuning?

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Maybe I will get a regulat 6-stirng set of 10-46 nd add something like a 64 for drop G.
Do you have your either of your RGDs in a drop tuning?
I've had multiple RGD but with the fixed bridge. I use drop G and 10-46 + 64 was my go to string gauge

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I've had multiple RGD but with the fixed bridge. I use drop G and 10-46 + 64 was my go to string gauge
Thank you. Yeah, maybe that's what I should try if I decide to stay in drop G. This whole drop tuning is still new to me and all my other 7 strings are in B standard.....

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score

I currently have them both at A with 10-59. Changing out the low string to a 64 and dropping to G is pretty reasonable.

Zeus1907

Reaction score

I have an RGD7, 26.5 scale, and time down a whole step, ADGCFAD.

I know I’m in the minority, but I play D’Addario EXL140-8.
The 8 string set and ditch the high e, so it’s in essence 13-74.
To accomplish this, as Grindspine mentioned the stock Gotoh tuners (Gotoh Magnum Locking) can only handle a .70.

After weeks of trying to find a Gotoh tuner to accommodate a thicker low 7th string, and reaching out to StewMac for advice, I gave up and am using an old machine head I had lying around. Which has no problem with the low .74. This works for drop G as well considering how thick the low string is. BUT….. this is not for the faint of heart, I know this isn’t a realistic setup for most guitarist, and some may say extreme.

I’ve had this 7 string guitar for years and never really got along with it, I always felt the strings were too floppy, so I kind of dealt with it by raising the action a bit.
I like the strings to feel tight, and I’ve achieved that through rich strings, and higher string height, one or both to achieve my desired tension. It wasn’t until I got an 8 string set that I finally feel comfortable playing my 7.

A quick story to why I play this setup, my first proper guitar was bought from my friend dad, who played on a surf rock band.
He also gave me a few packs of guitar strings. So these strings and extra packs lasted me about a year. They happened to be D’Addario flatwound 13-56. And I’m standard tuning! So you can only imagine the tension!
So after playing them for a year a friend of mine gave me a set of strings because I broke a string when we were jamming, they were probably your standard 10 gauge strings. I couldn’t play on them. So since then I’ve played 13 on a 6. So I’m pretty much using the same string gauge just on a 7, with the added 74 on the bottom.
Works for me, but I know for the average player .13 is too thick.

Attachments

• 05A093D3-B5E2-4365-98A0-CA649E4FBB1D.jpeg
    05A093D3-B5E2-4365-98A0-CA649E4FBB1D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
For dropping tuning below A, I use a .62 gauge string. Tried the .64 and it was just a hair too thick for my taste, whereas the .59 was just a bit too lose.
.62 seemed to sit perfectly for what I needed.
And when I've tuned up a bit I found the .10-.59 set still worked fine for me.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I have an RGD7, 26.5 scale, and time down a whole step, ADGCFAD.

I know I’m in the minority, but I play D’Addario EXL140-8.
The 8 string set and ditch the high e, so it’s in essence 13-74.
To accomplish this, as Grindspine mentioned the stock Gotoh tuners (Gotoh Magnum Locking) can only handle a .70.

After weeks of trying to find a Gotoh tuner to accommodate a thicker low 7th string, and reaching out to StewMac for advice, I gave up and am using an old machine head I had lying around. Which has no problem with the low .74. This works for drop G as well considering how thick the low string is. BUT….. this is not for the faint of heart, I know this isn’t a realistic setup for most guitarist, and some may say extreme.

I’ve had this 7 string guitar for years and never really got along with it, I always felt the strings were too floppy, so I kind of dealt with it by raising the action a bit.
I like the strings to feel tight, and I’ve achieved that through rich strings, and higher string height, one or both to achieve my desired tension. It wasn’t until I got an 8 string set that I finally feel comfortable playing my 7.

A quick story to why I play this setup, my first proper guitar was bought from my friend dad, who played on a surf rock band.
He also gave me a few packs of guitar strings. So these strings and extra packs lasted me about a year. They happened to be D’Addario flatwound 13-56. And I’m standard tuning! So you can only imagine the tension!
So after playing them for a year a friend of mine gave me a set of strings because I broke a string when we were jamming, they were probably your standard 10 gauge strings. I couldn’t play on them. So since then I’ve played 13 on a 6. So I’m pretty much using the same string gauge just on a 7, with the added 74 on the bottom.
Works for me, but I know for the average player .13 is too thick.
Why not just drill the tuning peg hole?

My schecter couldnt fit a 70 so I did that

Zeus1907

Reaction score
Why not just drill the tuning peg hole?

My schecter couldnt fit a 70 so I did that
As a complete novice to guitar mods I didn’t want to drill out the gotoh tuners, since they’re locking I don’t know how it would affect them. I thought about filing that tuner, this is the exact response from StewMac, sounded too technical so I just got an old tuner. It works, doesn’t look as clean but it gets the job done.

"Needle file, but that's going to be difficult. Filing is not the best way really, and even if he makes it work he's going to have to smooth everything out so it doesn't break strings. Doing it with reamers would be better, but that's tough. He might want to visit a repair shop."

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
By the way, D'addario does sell single strings direct. That way you can buy a 6 string set for the top 6 and a heavier 7th string for drop tunings.

Droptune666

Reaction score
I run 10-52 with a 70 on top for my RGD’s in drop G. Super comfy balance of tension imo!

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I've been using Elixir Nanoweb .10 sets on my Schecter for standard and drop A stuff (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .059)
If I were going to downtune it to A standard or drop G I would probably move to a .11 set, or get some fatter strings for the bottom.