RGDIX7MPB: Sanding off See-Through Finish to Natural Wood?

• Thread starter HolographicUniverse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HolographicUniverse

Reaction score
Hi all I’m considering an Ibanez RGDIX7MPB, the specs and the price are perfect but I can’t get on board with the finish. If you don’t recognise the model number I’m sure you’ll recognise the finish!

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RGDIX7MPB

Question is: would it be possible to sand off the colour coat on the top to reveal the natural burl top? Or is the veneer so thin that I’ll sand through to the ash body before the colour is removed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
One of these was for sale locally on Craiglist, the guy used a palm sander to get rid of the veneer pretty well, would've needed a bit more work but it looked interesting. I had thought to snag it to refinish but it was gone before I even got to email the guy.

HolographicUniverse

Reaction score
One of these was for sale locally on Craiglist, the guy used a palm sander to get rid of the veneer pretty well, would've needed a bit more work but it looked interesting. I had thought to snag it to refinish but it was gone before I even got to email the guy.
Good to see I'm not the only one who has thought of doing this, thanks! So did they sand the poplar burl veneer off entirely, exposing the ash?

Omzig

Reaction score
Find a local cabinet maker/wood shop with a drum sander, tip them $10 's towards the tea/coffee fund and they have that veneer off in a few passes.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think my guy here wants to know if he can keep the veneer, not sand it off.

I don't have much input on this as I've only ever removed the finish off a neck once over 10 years ago :lol: but I am curious. I may or may not do this at some point to one of my guitars with a flamed maple veneer.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt there's a way to keep the veneer. They're usually the thickness of a piece of paper.

Omzig

Reaction score
I think my guy here wants to know if he can keep the veneer, not sand it off.

I don't have much input on this as I've only ever removed the finish off a neck once over 10 years ago :lol: but I am curious. I may or may not do this at some point to one of my guitars with a flamed maple veneer.

Lol what i get for only reading the reply ;)

So if it's just in the clearcoat and the veneer was sealed before the colour was added, yes id say you could/might get away with it, most veneer tops are 0.6mm thick but looking at the carve on this one it seem they might be using a "construction veneer" which can be upto 2mm thick.

again i would recommend a drum sander because trying to get a level sand with anything hand held over such a large surface would result in a patchy mess. GL

HolographicUniverse

Reaction score
Thanks all, I'll take a close look at the thickness of the veneer when I check out the guitar this weekend. I'll attempt to sand off the colour, but if it doesn't come off well, I'll probably end up painting the top a solid colour à la an RDGR4427FX:
1664829130373.png
I'm not really concerned about keeping the burl top. Will keep you all posted here!

electric

Reaction score
I don't know if the finish is thick poly or a thin satin coat on that model, but there are different ways of going about it. I'd avoid an electric sander either way, and keep in mind you'll have to do the headstock so it doesn't look weird. You might lose the Ibanez logo in the process, and the headstock is a tricky area despite being a small surface.

If it's thin, a manual sanding handle (or a flat block of wood wrapped in sandpaper), and an hour of work might get you just where you want, or a chemical paint stripper. If it's thick poly, a hot air gun is the way, but be careful not to scorch the wood. It's not impossible, but you should have a little experience in doing this, or you might turn a 1000$ instrument in an amateurish looking eyesore.

Last edited:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I say regardless of the outcome, you should just get it and refinish it because this finish is an abomination that deserves to be removed from the annals of time.

Latest posts