Ridiculous 8 string bridge problem (Jackson HT8)

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Now that I've fixed the frets...there's the bridge. With proper relief, the action can't go any lower than 1.5-1-6mm. It literally can't, the lower saddles are touching the bridge plate. So that 3/64 on the 17th fret as per the Jackson factory manual? Impossible đź‘Ž
The guitar is a neck though btw.

So what can I do?
I was wondering maybe I could replace the saddles with thinner saddles and pray that they can go lower?
I'd rather not get a replacement bridge like a Hipshot because honestly 150 bucks + import taxes is not worth it for this.
Do I take a chainsaw to the guitar and buy a new one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Shim the neck
Screenshot_2024-07-16-03-55-39-462_com.brave.browser.jpg

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Silly question: does Hipshot make a bridge that would fit? I believe they offer some hardtail bridges with different baseplate thickness options.
They make 8 string hard tail bridges, I don't know if it's a direct fit though. Anyway I'd have to order it from USA for $150 and pay import tax and administrative fees. So I'd rather try sanding 1mm off the bridge plate first.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
It'll be fine. I sand/grind material off the bottom of locking nuts all the time (less risky that chiseling down the neck shelf). It can take a while if you have to go by hand, but it'll get the job done eventually.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Sell it on Reverb and buy something that isn't going to be a constant pain in the ass would be my vote.

What's your neck relief currently?

*edit I missed the part you said "proper relief". Nvm. Sand down the saddles or baseplate like others said. Or just sell it lol

Last edited: