Riffs/Songs You Can't Imagine Writing

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are some riffs you can't really get your head around how they're written or see yourself ever writing?

For me its hands down Spawn of Possession shit, I know some of their melodic ideas are lifted from classical music but beyond that I have no clue how they come up with some of their shit. Point and case:

Another is Gorguts, really cool stuff going on, Lemay is a genius:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
Dream Theater. John Petrucci has this complex-yet-conceptually-simplistic approach to some riffs that create these very unique sounds.

Also, Scar Symmetry, that shit is too damn catchy for humans to write.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
Honestly, the first time I heard Periphery, I did not understand how someone could write the crazy polyrhythm stuff and make it work like that. I'd heard Meshuggah before, but that always struck me as 4/4ish with the phrases, cadences, and accents in strange places.

These days, it's Jeff Loomis. He can take a simple diminished riff and speed it up to the point of sounding nigh impossible, and still find a way to put a solid lead line over it.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
one man, one mask, one bucket, and chickens... Everything buckethead writes... it´s sometimes so simple but yet no one comes up with it... just made a cover of one of his songs... speaks for itself

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Opeth. Mikael Akerfeldt has a really unusual ear for harmony and melody.
for example, 2:16 in Credence, so odd but so beautiful.

guitareben

Reaction score
Anything Holdsworth has ever done EVER.

Most flecktones stuff too -

That bass :p

And lots of animals as leaders riffs, specially the newer stuff -

And... Planet X stuff usually blows my mind... way out there riffs, no idea how Donati comes up with some of that stuff :p

Oh, and also, frank Zappa O.O He's the man for writing the unimaginable :eek: Heck, i mean, just listen too 3:20 in Montana (and the rest of it, for that matter!) -

Last edited:

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Yes; Steve Howe. The Clap is just :bowdown:

The Tea Party. Jeff Martin had such a unique playing style, very 70's with a lot of Eastern infuences.

Also, fucking Ty Tabor from King's X. He has so much groove, I just can't get my head around it.

Frank motherfucking Zappa.

Most of Bela and the Flecktones' stuff as well. Such unique playing.

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
Nocturnus knows a thing or two about complex riffs. Just watch the master, Mike Davis with the warrior. :scream:

Sikthness

Reaction score
This literally blew my fuckin mind (Mainly the end riff)

Most stuff w/ really lavish chords. Pretty much every single Corelia riff, lots of Haunted Shores, 'All New Materials' by Periphery, 'Mowgli' by Veil of Maya.

All of the riffs in this song:

And this one:

Also, when i first was shown how Insomnia (periphery, for the 1 person on this site who doesn't know) was played, I was amazed at such a creative riff. Those hammer ons weren't really that common in metal riffs not too long ago. Now everyone has them in there, but still for my money Insomnia has one of the best riffs in metal.

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score

I have no fucking clue what goes on in Katsuhiko Maeda's head.