Riffs/Songs You Can't Imagine Writing

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Ulcerate, hands down, some of the craziest riffs I've ever heard put together. Luckily 2 guys on Rivers of Gore tabbed out a majority of We Are Nil, allowing me to fix up some parts and get it down as close as possible to the original insane riffs.

Even after learning that, the song that always has my mind in a twist is Withered and Obsolete.

Whole song is a structural and melodic mindfuck, but that riff at 3:21 always baffles me.

Seriously I've had Everything is Fire on repeat for the last 2 months.

Totally a stand out candidate for most unique and unimaginable songwriting.

Also no Gorguts?

SONS IM DISSAPOINT

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sikthness

Reaction score
Man i forgot most of the crazy dissonant stuff out there, like Ulcerate, and pretty much anything from Ion Dissonance's Solace. The most brutal shit ever.

samu

Reaction score
I have an endless list of stuff that blew my mind at first, but what still gets me to this day is Allan Holdsworth. That man is a genius.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Holy shitballs, how could I forget??

Anything by Toby Driver. This man has the greatest use of instrumentation when it comes to incorporating melodic movement throughout all instruments. Not to mention, Toby Driver grabs a hold of time and makes it wait for him.

Toby Driver has my vote for the most tasteful experimentation in harmonic arrangements.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score

Chris Feener's solo, but specifically that part from 4:15 to 4:27.
I cannot for the life of me understand how people are able to make those really dissonant/paranoid sounding guitar lines work in a musical context like that.
Whenever I attempt something like that (which is rare), it doesn't ever sound 'right' or 'fit'. It just sounds like a shitty Kerry King solo really.
I'm pretty much stuck inside the box of more 'melodic' sounding stuff for soloing (which is fine by me most of the time anyway), but man I just wish I was able to get an ear and understanding for that kind of stuff

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Practically anything by Animals As Leaders, and Chimp Spanner. ESPECIALLY Chimp Spanner--I feel like Paul has this quality of composition that no one else in progressive metal has....Honestly, he could be a symphony/orchestral director if he wanted to. That's what his songs remind me of.

Also, this is a little out there, but "OAM's Blues" by Aaron Goldberg/OAM Trio just baffles the crap out of me every time I listen to it. It's such a frantic piece with what seems to be almost random notes just being played on the keyboard. Not only that, but they managed to put a bass line to it as well haha.

I just don't get it, and it's amazing.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Devin Townsend - Tiny Tears. There's nothing really that complex in this song but everything just works perfectly together. Especially the C-chord to F-chord section toward the end of the song.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
The riff at 2:30 in Heir apparent.

edit: I can't imagine writting any of Behold the arctopus' riffs.

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Most dillinger escape plan riffs. A total different approach to songs from me

OceanMachine429

Reaction score
Devin Townsend - Tiny Tears. There's nothing really that complex in this song but everything just works perfectly together. Especially the C-chord to F-chord section toward the end of the song.

Tiny Tears was actually the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Like you said, it's not a technically complex song but the combination of vocal harmonies in the final four minutes is just mind blowingly beautiful.