Riffs/Songs You Can't Imagine Writing

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Re: Tiny Tears; the main thing in that song that I can't figure out is how he got away with singing the beautiful line "C chord, to F chord, U2 chord, resolve."

Beautiful song. I'm not sure I couldn't imagine writing it though. The arrangement is phenomenal, but it's just a case of harmonising. Stuff that I couldn't imagine writing is more stuff like this (main unison riff that begins it, mainly: the rest is solos):

Jazz scares me, but I bloody love it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murmel

Reaction score
Most things by Dir En Grey. I just can't stop being amazed at how well they compose.
Outstanding texturing with the guitars, ridiculous rhythm section. Not much more you can ask. Fantastic singer too.

One more mention for their rhythm section because it's just flawless. Especially their drummer. If there's one musician I'd go gay for just because of his abilities it would be Shinya. His drumming never gets boring and is always intense in a great way.

This isn't the best example, I'm just linking this because I get unhealthy feelings from listening to this.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Seriously I've had Everything is Fire on repeat for the last 2 months.

Totally a stand out candidate for most unique and unimaginable songwriting.

Also no Gorguts?

SONS IM DISSAPOINT

[youtubevGcOorSuo8[/MEDIA]QUOTE]

Um....my OP had gorguts in it.

My bad :(

YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING FROM OBSCURA THOUGH

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yup, SoP is weird stuff. It's like they tried to write stuff I couldn't play. :lol:
Also, Bulb's stuff. I remember the first time I heard Zyglrox. Blew my mind!
And then Blotted Science is definitely over the top stuff, too. I've changed by writing considerably since hearing all three of these. It made me feel like I was in a huge rut without even knowing it.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
The stuff from Deathspell Omega's "FAS Ite - Maledicti In Ignem Aeternum" album never fails to strike me with awe. Those chords just make no conventional sense, and the arrangements are impossibly dense. That album is truly "symphonic black metal" in the classical sense, not just standard issue BM with extra synthstrings.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
Anything by Scale the Summit, The Contortionist, or BTBAM.

They just make me wonder how the hell those riffs are imagined, and how they flow so well.