Rosewood neck blanks?

• Thread starter Charvel7string
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel7string

Reaction score
Where can I order my top quality rosewood neck for a custom dc727? I want a rosewood neck I'm not sure what type to get and want to order one right to ship to carvin for my build can you guys help I'm not sure where to order one? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
There's a stickied post up at the top about online wood suppliers that may be able to give you some good starting points :)

jtm45

Reaction score
Have you tried Gilmer ?
They've usually got a variety of different Rosewood species in stock but i'm not sure what they've got at the moment.
There's a seller on ebay called 'ShabbyChic' that sell nice quality quarter-sawn Indian Rosewood neck blanks but it's not going to be easy to find one long enough for a neck-thru build.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
You would probably want to go with a three-piece laminated neck blank for stability. And getting a blank large enough for neck through and tilt back headstock is extremely expensive.

Will Carvin actually warranty a guitar made with wood supplied by the customer?

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Will Carvin build with a guitar with the customers wood? That's cool.

There was a guitar a while back that Carvin made with a customer's ebony top and rosewood neck. I think you have to send your wood in and you still pay for the guitar as if it was made with their base price woods.

Charvel7string

Reaction score
That's what I plan on doing but I need to find a great piece of rosewood for that and I think I'm doing a 5 peice with maple of ebony stripes for stability I would never do one piece. Now If I could just get a peice of rosewood.

joshuallen

Reaction score
Exotic Hardwood Lumber and Wood Supplies | WoodworkersSource.com sells 4/4 rosewood. I doubt you'll fine anyone selling a product called "rosewood neck blanks" per se. Most online marketers will be targeting their rosewood products at people looking for fretboards, at least in my experience. You'll have better luck searching for rosewood lumber. You'll need to know the dimensions you need, but 2-3 bf of rosewood lumber would probably work.

You can ask them if they have any quartersawn, but I bet that would be rare. You might ask for straight-grained pieces. As far as "the best" goes, that's kind of subjective.

Charvel7string

Reaction score
Can someone please get a link super nice rosewood blank i can order i talked to carvin and they said they will do it i just need to get the wood ive herd cocobolo is good and Brazilian rosewood is
Good.

Halowords

Reaction score
Can someone please get a link super nice rosewood blank i can order i talked to carvin and they said they will do it i just need to get the wood ive herd cocobolo is good and Brazilian rosewood is
Good.

It might be worth your while to read up on the various species of rosewood first, then based on what seems to best fit your needs and maybe aesthetic tastes track down whatever it is you are looking for. Again, "good" is kind of subjective, and there are quite a few things that are, or can be considered, "rosewood," or "rosewood-like."

FWIW, I would peruse the different types of woods listed as (or like) Rosewood on Warmoth.
Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Neck Woods

Then, if/when you look them up on line people will have various opinions on which is better, if you can even tell the differences, etc. Plus, some might stand out more to you, aesthetically or whatnot.

After that? I would call Gilmer Woods. They have some (if not all) of their Rosewood pieces linked below:
https://www.gilmerwood.com/items.php?species=Rosewoods&CID=38

Your best bet is to call them though and talk to Marc (the instrument wood guy). If you tell him what you are looking for, he will let you know what he suggests and you can go from there. He's been doing this for a while and is pretty good at what he does. But call, it will save you both some time.

-Cheers

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Good.

I think you're looking for this as if its a product you can buy from a catalog. You need to call lumber suppliers and see what they have available. There isn't exactly a simple answer for this sort of materials search.

jtm45

Reaction score
You should cross Brazilian Rosewood off your list straight away!
Even if you could find a piece big enough it would cost you an absolute fortune!!!!

Honduras Rosewood would be a great choice. It's a fantastic tonewood (it's the favorite neck wood of Blackmachine guitars and it's used for xylophones and marimbas and other similar percussion instruments) and it can be found in suitable lengths for a neck-thru build.
This place has a large stock of it at pretty good prices. It would be worth getting in touch with them to ask them if they could cut you a nice length of quarter-sawn stock or they might even have some already cut;
Pine Creek Wood Company- Honduras Rosewood

Charvel7string

Reaction score
Ok! I've narrowed it down to that and cocobolo! DoeS any one know if it's bright like maple and what's the best part about it besides being sexy

Charvel7string

Reaction score
Does anyone know the minimum size blank I need for the neck? Going to call carvin and see. But if anyone know what size I need for a neck to be made into a dc727 neck