Rosewood neck blanks?

• Thread starter Charvel7string
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Does anyone know the minimum size blank I need for the neck? Going to call carvin and see. But if anyone know what size I need for a neck to be made into a dc727 neck

Carvin are going to be the only folks that know what they need for their build processes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Halowords

Reaction score
Ok! I've narrowed it down to that and cocobolo! DoeS any one know if it's bright like maple and what's the best part about it besides being sexy

Maybe a stupid question. However...

If you do not know what it will sound like or what's good about the various rosewoods, why have you locked your sights on them, much less narrowed it down to something specific like Cocobolo or Honduras Rosewood? I am not trying to be negative deter you, just saying maybe taking a step back and doing more research before jumping on some type of Rosewood without knowing what it might sound like. Especially in the case of something that might be expensive a/o rare a/o endangered like some of the Rosewood species tend to be.

-Cheers

Charvel7string

Reaction score
I've realized that I'm doing as much research as possible I'm looking g everywhere but I'm just asking here to see if anyone else is loving their neck. I'd never go in blind that's completely stupid I agree. I found a blank and have talked to 3 woods experts and have said rosewood is perfect for what I want. I found this blank that carvin will work with. But reading up as much as possible before I pull the trigger. Thanks for your help bro I'll keep researching!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 37

jtm45

Reaction score
Pine Creek have got an excellent selection of Honduras Rosewood, fairplay! That piece looks really nice. Sadly because i'm in the UK i can't actually buy any from them because it's a non-export species.
I'm actually going to be building a neck from some nice Honduras Rosewood that i sourced here in the UK though. I've glued up my basic neck blank from the three strips of Honduras with two thin ebony stringers in between and then a solid Honduras scarf-jointed headstock. This rosewood has an excellent tap tone. It rings like a bell! I can't wait to get started properly on my build.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
My supplier here in Maine Rare and Exotic Lumber in Maine - Rare Woods USA has Indian Rosewood in sizes large enough for a Carvin neck through at around $30 a board foot. I bought some really nice quartersawn Indian Rosewood neck blanks from LMI Luthiers Mercantile International, Inc. back in 2011. Those were sized for bolt on necks but you could always ask them about a larger piece. Another wood that is waaaaaay less expensive and is very similar to indian rosewood in terms of feel and sound (to my ear anyways) is bubinga. Bubinga is also available from Rare and Exotic Lumber in Maine - Rare Woods USA and a lot of it is quartersawn and priced well under $20 bf.

Purelojik

Reaction score
That's what I plan on doing but I need to find a great piece of rosewood for that and I think I'm doing a 5 peice with maple of ebony stripes for stability I would never do one piece. Now If I could just get a peice of rosewood.

honestly theres nothing wrong with one piece at all. esp if the piece is nice and quartersawn. you coul dhave them reinforce the neck with carbon or some other rods but i've made necks with solid rosewood that havent gone pretzel yet

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
honestly theres nothing wrong with one piece at all. esp if the piece is nice and quartersawn. you coul dhave them reinforce the neck with carbon or some other rods but i've made necks with solid rosewood that havent gone pretzel yet
Neal Moser has been making guitars for longer than a lot of us have been alive and he doesn't have a problem with 1 or 2-piece necks... Don't see why everyone is so phobic of them these days :lol:

Purelojik

Reaction score
Neal Moser has been making guitars for longer than a lot of us have been alive and he doesn't have a problem with 1 or 2-piece necks... Don't see why everyone is so phobic of them these days :lol:

I think it's because a lot of companies started doing the multi-laminate necks. They look cool and they have some added stability if they are built with the grain of the pieces glued in opposing directions. That would counteract the natural tendency to move, but just like everything else that has the words "tone" "sustain" etc.. It becomes more of a marketing ploy IMO. Doesn't PRS use one piece rosewood necks? Also EBMM?

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score

Who here has heard of Fender? They've used mainly flat sawn, one-piece necks throughout the entire lifespan of the company.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's because a lot of companies started doing the multi-laminate necks. They look cool and they have some added stability if they are built with the grain of the pieces glued in opposing directions. That would counteract the natural tendency to move, but just like everything else that has the words "tone" "sustain" etc.. It becomes more of a marketing ploy IMO. Doesn't PRS use one piece rosewood necks? Also EBMM?

I've had much better success with multilaminate necks not moving in directions they're not supposed to than 1 piece necks. It is most definitely not a marketing ploy.