Ruf Guitars Doctor Schrödinger 6

• Thread starter Romeo Knight
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Romeo Knight

Reaction score
So, I searched the forums and it looks like there's nothing been posted about Ruf Guitars yet.
They're a new company from Poland, around for about a year only, and specialize in guitars made from a certain kind of carbon fiber composite material ("Ruffaine"). They also gained my attention because they do pretty wild finishes, so quite similar to Aristides in principle (but I don't like Aristides' body shape at all).
Anyway, I was brave enough to get one, and to keep the story short, I'm blown away by how awesome it is. The neck is from out of this world, ultra-slim yet extremely sturdy, it makes playing totally effortless, the whole construction is basically solid like a stone while the body shape is very slim, almost like an Ibanez S-Series. Fret access is absolutely perfect as well, the matte finish feels extremely smooth, but the guitar is not lightweight at all although I expected it to be due to the material. On top, the tuning stability is unmatched because the guitar barely reacts to temperature changes. It features Hipshot locking tuners, stainless steel frets and a something I wish all of my guitars had: Electric compartment cover plate held with magnets.
After experiencing this, any other conventional guitar now almost feels clunky and outdated :) .
I got this specific one from an online shop in Poland for 2860€. I'm not the biggest fan of the Fishman Fluence Classics (I'm a Bare Knuckle guy) but they work well enough for modern Metal genres or any other kind of music.
The only real flaw is the quite extreme string resonance behind the nut, but this is solved pretty easily with a string dampener or a small piece of foam.
I looks very much like I'll be ordering my own custom build with Floyd-Rose soon.

Attachments

• PXL_20240202_074409995.jpg
    PXL_20240202_074409995.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20240202_074000327.jpg
    PXL_20240202_074000327.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20240202_074213905.jpg
    PXL_20240202_074213905.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20240202_074500519.jpg
    PXL_20240202_074500519.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20240202_074138536.jpg
    PXL_20240202_074138536.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 86

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Have you ever played an Aristides? I’m very curious about Ruf, and a friend who went to namm says that they didn’t seem to be up to Aristides level, but the more opinions the better

kchoe1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is so cool! Paint is giving me James Tyler Psycho Vomit vibes and I'm so here for it.

Xykhron

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am very tempted with Ruf Schrodinger, because maninly of the finishes and the aesthetics of the cutaways. You said that it is not lightweight. Can I ask how much does it weight?.
Also, knowing about your outstanding collection....how would you compare to other high ends you have?

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
Nice. I just watched the factory tour vid. Seems very similar to Aristides, with Ruffaine instead of Arium. Maybe we'll get a comparison video as the company matures and more people get their hands on these guitars. That 7 trans purple on their site looks great. I can't tell if that's fretwire used as a nut or if it's some other material. It almost looks like zero glide, maybe?

Romeo Knight

Reaction score
Have you ever played an Aristides? I’m very curious about Ruf, and a friend who went to namm says that they didn’t seem to be up to Aristides level, but the more opinions the better
No, I haven't, never seen one in a store or on a gig and the body shape just puts me off although I love all their finish options.

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve had one for 5 months now and absolutely love it. I’m going to do an in depth video review of it. There are two things I don’t like about it though

1)the input jack placement, awful, bumps into everything. Why couldn’t they just put it where other strat type guitars have it?

2)tuning stability and intonation isn’t amazing. Not bad either but about the same as your average wood guitar of the same width (think Ibanez S series). The neck moves a lot less though, so that’s nice.

Romeo Knight

Reaction score
Nice. I just watched the factory tour vid. Seems very similar to Aristides, with Ruffaine instead of Arium. Maybe we'll get a comparison video as the company matures and more people get their hands on these guitars. That 7 trans purple on their site looks great. I can't tell if that's fretwire used as a nut or if it's some other material. It almost looks like zero glide, maybe?
Yes, that looks odd. I guess it's just some chrome plated plastics, an actual steel nut sounds like much too much friction. And a zero fret usually comes with a standard nut behind it.

Romeo Knight

Reaction score
I’ve had one for 5 months now and absolutely love it. I’m going to do an in depth video review of it. There are two things I don’t like about it though

1)the input jack placement, awful, bumps into everything. Why couldn’t they just put it where other strat type guitars have it?

2)tuning stability and intonation isn’t amazing. Not bad either but about the same as your average wood guitar of the same width (think Ibanez S series). The neck moves a lot less though, so that’s nice.

2) is absolutely ace on mine. No tuning issues whatsoever (played one gig with it yet with going from warm to cold back and forth).
Best intonation of a guitar that arrived at my home with no setup needed at all.

Romeo Knight

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am very tempted with Ruf Schrodinger, because maninly of the finishes and the aesthetics of the cutaways. You said that it is not lightweight. Can I ask how much does it weight?.
Also, knowing about your outstanding collection....how would you compare to other high ends you have?
I need to put it on a scale, didn't check it yet. Thing is, it doesn't bother me at all because the neck is very light and it's the body only, and that might be due to the Fishmans and their battery?! No idea. So it sits very well on the body.

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
2) is absolutely ace on mine. No tuning issues whatsoever (played one gig with it yet with going from warm to cold back and forth).
Best intonation of a guitar that arrived at my home with no setup needed at all.
The intonation on mine was perfect out of box but changing the strings sent it out of whack. It doesn’t respond to weather changes but it is sensitive to changes in string tension and heavy use of the strings. I do enough tremolo picking and it goes flat pretty quick. Hopefully I can get it set up to hold a bit better.