Sad NGD... The RGA8' saddle has broken...

• Thread starter Joakingg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joakingg

Reaction score
Really thanks dudes. U all were really helpfull.
I really like sevenstring.org.

PD:Sorry about my english. Im pretty sure that could make several sentences funnier than i tried to write

Reaction score
Beforehand, I apologize if switching language bothers someone, but I notice Joakingg can't explain himself very well in english. So I'll write him a translation of what I'm about to say so he understands better.

I've never had any problems with bolts on Ibanezes Floyds. I do consider I add a bit of extra force when I tighten because the string can slip off while playing sometimes, and I've had these kind of problems. Maybe I'm not the tough guy type or use brute force like if the guitar was a construction tool, but the only problem I've had as far as Ibanez floyd rose bolts comes is with one of them in a Lo-TRS trem which has the hex allen shape a bit bigger, so that bolt in particular has to be tighten with pliers or some other tool. The good thing of this tremolo is that the head of the bolt goes outside, unlike newer Ibanezes trems like the one in my RG827QMZ or this fixed bridge for what I see. I guess you've used real excesive force or the bolt was faulty.

EDIT: The bolt head goes outside, but it seems it doesn't have a rough surface to use pliers.

Translation / traducción:

Nunca tuve problemas con los tornillos en los floyds de las Ibanez. Yo creo que si le pongo un poco de fuerza extra cuando ajusto por que la cuerda puede salirse cuando se está tocando a veces, y he tenido este tipo de problemas. Por ahi no soy una persona con muchos musculos o que utilice fuerza bruta como si la guitarra fuera una herramienta de construcción, pero el único problema que he tenido con los floyds de Ibanez es que uno de los tornillos allen en un tremolo Lo-TRS tenia la forma hexagonal un poco mas grande, asique ese tornillo en particular tiene que ser ajustado con una tenaza u otra herramienta. Lo bueno de este tremolo es que la cabeza del tornillo va afuera, a diferencia de tremolos de Ibanez nuevos como el de mi RG827QMZ o este puente fijo, por lo que veo. Supongo que usaste verdadera fuerza excesiva o el tornillo venia fallado.

Last edited:

Joakingg

Reaction score
I dont think i used to much force, but NoMod told me in a post before that i should use the other side from the allen key. Maybe the side i used had to much power so i discovered something new.

I just tried to go a lil tighter for the string to not poping it out but now i know that string (0.80) has no enough surface to get fixed into the saddle, so a good point is to squash the string with pliers. But i will try to change the 8th string for a 0.74 (and it hurts a lil because im kinda Tosin Abasi' fanboy and i wanted to use DropE), but too many mods for using that fu&%ing string.

Should i get one of those??:
Ibanez RG Edge 3 iii Bridge String Saddle Black Used | eBay

Thanks for writing me in spanish, it makes me much more faster to read. Feel free to correct my english so i could learn a lil more ^^.

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
If your completely sold on the RGA8 they have apparently fixed this problem on the 2011 model, to my guessing this is the 2010 model which all have this problem. Not to mention if you want to swap pickups youll have to get work done on your guitar seeming how the pickups run on 2 aa's. Agile has a pretty decent selection of 8s with 27' scale with active or passive pickups. Id look into them

Reaction score
I dont think i used to much force, but NoMod told me in a post before that i should use the other side from the allen key. Maybe the side i used had to much power so i discovered something new.

I just tried to go a lil tighter for the string to not poping it out but now i know that string (0.80) has no enough surface to get fixed into the saddle, so a good point is to squash the string with pliers. But i will try to change the 8th string for a 0.74 (and it hurts a lil because im kinda Tosin Abasi' fanboy and i wanted to use DropE), but too many mods for using that fu&%ing string.

Should i get one of those??:
Ibanez RG Edge 3 iii Bridge String Saddle Black Used | eBay

Thanks for writing me in spanish, it makes me much more faster to read. Feel free to correct my english so i could learn a lil more ^^.

Well, I wouldn't adjust allen bolts with the short part of the allen wrench because it's not going to make the necessary pressure to keep the string attached and on-tune. As I said before, I've had strings come out when I didn't adjust them properly, that is tight but not exceeding or forcing it till it breaks. Once my 6th started to lose the tune on my band's rehearsal. Strings were rather old and it seems the bolt lost some pressure so it started coming off.

Is this a brand new RGA8? Allen bolts on Ibanez bridges should break that easy. If it's new, I'd recommend taking it back to the seller because that bolt is probably faulty.

Si necesitas traducción avisame y mañana lo hago.

Joakingg

Reaction score
Thanks leechmasterargentina! Yes, brand new... I noticed it was a really short step between the string doesnt pop out and the bolt breaks. So you could be right that the bolt were faulty. But maybe the problem were the string' gauge... so im not really sure

Reaction score
Thanks leechmasterargentina! Yes, brand new... I noticed it was a really short step between the string doesnt pop out and the bolt breaks. So you could be right that the bolt were faulty. But maybe the problem were the string' gauge... so im not really sure

I really don't think a thicker string gauge would make a bolt to break. Im imagine other kind of problems before that, like the hole losing its thread. When I got my Ibanez Premium RG827QMZ a few months ago I notice that the "plate" that pushes the string is made of plastic...If strings were the problem I imagine that would be the first part to bend/break. Last but not least, it's not like if you're trying to insert a 9th string into an 8th string saddle. I really suggest you contact the dealer where you bought your guitar. They have to give you a solution. Tell then you didn't use extreme force and that the bolt broke. They should provide a solution; at least help you to remove the other end of the bolt and provide you with a new one that does the job. Best case scenario, they'd change the whole guitar, or the bridge so you have matching bolts.

Don't wait long because then the seller will have an excuse not to provide you with a solution.

Joakingg

Reaction score
I already have done that :), the same day the bolt had been broken.
They told me yesterday to send them better pics and i couldnt make better photos (no camera)... so i send them different photos (maybe different angles could be helpfull) and edited photos from the net (with paint) to explain what happend to the guitar. I really hope they could give me a solution fast.

If the pics doesnt like them again, i will have to wait to my girlfriend' camera this saturday.
The worse part of all this happend is to spend again several days waiting for my guitar. And that i cannot find where to buy a 0.74 string anywhere...

Reaction score
I already have done that :), the same day the bolt had been broken.
They told me yesterday to send them better pics and i couldnt make better photos (no camera)... so i send them different photos (maybe different angles could be helpfull) and edited photos from the net (with paint) to explain what happend to the guitar. I really hope they could give me a solution fast.

If the pics doesnt like them again, i will have to wait to my girlfriend' camera this saturday.
The worse part of all this happend is to spend again several days waiting for my guitar. And that i cannot find where to buy a 0.74 string anywhere...

Do that ASAP, but avoid net pictures edited with paint...That could lead them to think you're trying to scam them or something. Ask someone to lend you an average cam.

I know it's a drag you have to wait several days for a solution, but still, it's a solution. About the strings, since you're taking back the guitar to the dealer, you could ask them for a set of 0.74 strings. I bet that if they sell 8 string guitars, they have guitars sets for that. Daddarios are very common, so you could ask them to send you 2 or 3 sets inside the guitar's box so you avoid paying extra shipping.

Keep us up to date on how this is going. Don't take too long to send them the pics...hurry your gf up! After all, she's your girlfriend, she shall respond to any of your demands! heheh :flame:

NoMod

Reformed misanthrope
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't adjust allen bolts with the short part of the allen wrench because it's not going to make the necessary pressure to keep the string attached and on-tune.

By that logic my strings should be popping out every 5 seconds...oh wait, they are not :rolleyes: You can apply plenty of force with the short end to clamp the string - and I only suggest using the short end as the lever as it merely helps those who are little overzealous when it comes to tightening screws, of course you can use the other length if you have a good feel for what you are doing. As a mechanical engineer, I do have some idea what I am talking about when it comes to metal and screw threads - there is a point where additional torque stops adding clamping pressure and simply stretchs the thread.

If the strings are slipping out of the saddles it could be for other reasons than pressure, could be not having a flat clean cut end, could be not pushing it down far enough into and perpendicular to the saddle to allow more surface contact for the clamp etc etc...applying gradual pressure as you tune up to pitch can help secure it in the saddle as the string will stretch and change shape as it forms in the pocket.

Or, OP could well have a faulty screw with a weak spot under the head - it happens.

Applying moar force does not solve all problems, unless you are playing Starwars...:yoda:

Joakingg

Reaction score
Wait! Im mechanical engineer to and i didnt know that allen key' trick haha.
Im kinda Mechanical Engineer Jedi style haha.

Reaction score
By that logic my strings should be popping out every 5 seconds...oh wait, they are not :rolleyes: You can apply plenty of force with the short end to clamp the string - and I only suggest using the short end as the lever as it merely helps those who are little overzealous when it comes to tightening screws, of course you can use the other length if you have a good feel for what you are doing. As a mechanical engineer, I do have some idea what I am talking about when it comes to metal and screw threads - there is a point where additional torque stops adding clamping pressure and simply stretchs the thread.

If the strings are slipping out of the saddles it could be for other reasons than pressure, could be not having a flat clean cut end, could be not pushing it down far enough into and perpendicular to the saddle to allow more surface contact for the clamp etc etc...applying gradual pressure as you tune up to pitch can help secure it in the saddle as the string will stretch and change shape as it forms in the pocket.

Or, OP could well have a faulty screw with a weak spot under the head - it happens.

Applying moar force does not solve all problems, unless you are playing Starwars...:yoda:

I wasn't saying you need brute force to tighten them, but I don't agree with you because by using the shorter part you don't make the necessary force, in my oppinion of course, to secure it. It's not that I have strings slip out every week, but it has happened to me two or three times, mostly when I got my first guitar using this system, 14 years ago. Using the longer part will ensure to be secured properly without using excesive force. That being said, I don't think one has to be a mechanical engineer to know the wrench & bolt limits.

NoMod

Reformed misanthrope
Reaction score
... I don't think one has to be a mechanical engineer to know the wrench & bolt limits.

I am not saying you do, just that I happen to be one. :ugh: I'd really rather not make an issue out of it - we obviously don't agree, and I am just sounding like a douche so I'll just stop giving advice now and let people figure it out on thier own...

Reaction score
I am not saying you do, just that I happen to be one. :ugh: I'd really rather not make an issue out of it - we obviously don't agree, and I am just sounding like a douche so I'll just stop giving advice now and let people figure it out on thier own...

lol, you don't sound like a douche. These are just different oppinions based on our experiences; just that. In the end, if a string slips off and cuts his hand, he can blame it on you. If he beheads another bolt, he can blame it on me :)

By the way Joaquin, how did the claim go with the retailer? Are they going to give you a solution?

Joakingg

Reaction score
They said:
Thanks for the details, we'll talk to our technicians looking for a solution trying to avoid to send the guitar back.

So... it sounds good haha