Sassafras 7 first build

• Thread starter CD1221
  • Start date
  • Tags
    member built
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CD1221

Reaction score
Side dots !!!

P4020361.jpg

drezdin

Reaction score
Dude my current build has a jack recess almost exactly like that!
Looking way better than mine.
Great job

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CD1221

Reaction score
minor update.

I have fabricated the control cavity cover and volume knob - cavity cover is blackwood, volume knob is made from the fretboard offcuts.

16042011078.jpg

I have also done most of the basic body and neck sanding and started work on the nut.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Why would he spend so long finding the way the wood looked best, or carving the tear out on the lower horn just to paint it?

CD1221

Reaction score
tip for the day...

When doing finish sanding, guitar bodies get very smooth and slippery.

Do not drop them onto rough concrete.

It takes a while to sand out.

CD1221

Reaction score
Update time!

Recovered from yesterday's mishap involving drop-testing the body onto concrete.

Today I made the nut and did a dry-fit hardware test. Everything fits like it was meant to be there and the thing feels awesome. Really stoked.

P4230469.jpg

P4230470.jpg

Happy with the tuner placement and string pull lines.

P4230471.jpg

next up - finishing!

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like your neck is a little out of allignment, you are having more space on the high E than the lowest string in terms of end of the fretboard, and it looks like the lowest string is losing space as you climb. Fortunatelly you can easily correct that as you are working with a bolt on.

insaneshawnlane

Reaction score
i never thought i'd see a body shape that i would like more than the typical super start but that..... looks like it would be incredibly comfortable

can't wait to see it finished!

tybro7

SUPERTED
Reaction score
please for the love of god DON'T PAINT IT! If you had put the "X" part in the middle i would have called the guitar "The Moth" because it kinda looks like one.

hahahah! that made me laugh! vut it really does look like a moth! first time seeing this thread as well... amazing!!! looks awesome and love that your a first time builder from aus! i will hopefully be real soon too :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

CD1221

Reaction score
thanks for the props fellas!

Looks like your neck is a little out of allignment, you are having more space on the high E than the lowest string in terms of end of the fretboard, and it looks like the lowest string is losing space as you climb.

I originally marked it all out with 3mm spacing from the edge, but made this nut with 4mm spacing. I am pretty sure that is why the lower string spacing varies slightly. Good pickup - I didn't notice it straight away.

The string spacing is even to the centre of the strings. The extra space on the high E is due to the string sizes - I have a .010 on the E and a .068 on the B.

I have to re-do the nut because I stuffed it, so I will probably go back to 3mm edge spacing. I was trying to get the height of the plain strings down I took too much off. Graphtec blanks sand VERY quickly.

then I went to my second blank (good to have spares) and did a crap job.

then I went to my third bloank (really good to have spares) and cut 8 string slots ! FARK !

then I realised I had no more nut blanks....... :wallbash:

Also thinking about the finishing now. I obviously am going to clear coat this one (spray can).

The pore filling has got me confused though. I am trying 3 alternatives to see what works best for me -

Timbermate grain filler

Shellac

egg white + sanding dust

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
It doesn't look like terribly open grain wood to me, so a pore filler may not be necessary.

CD1221

Reaction score
Hey Buddah, tuners are sperzel.

Well, it is disassembled and I did the pore filling and sealing today. please excuse the crapola photos.

P4280612.jpg

awesome ghost in the grain there. bloody brilliant.

P4280613.jpg

Now I just need a dry weekend to spray the clear coat.

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
YES! IT'S ALMOST DONE!!! I've watched this build so closely since I seen this thread man. Seriously.. fucking amazing work. :yesway: Can't wait to see what you do next.