Scammed Through A Paypal Chargeback

• Thread starter zephyrkillz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
. I'm 23 years old, that means I have around 60 or so more years to do business online with paypal. If they cant protect me from $1200.00 then they'll be loosing tens of thousands of dollars from doing future business with me.

Except if you use the gift option they are not getting cash from you anyway and thus are not loosing anything.

zephyrkillz

Reaction score
If you can contact his credit card company you might be able to bring about some type of fraudulence on his part. Credit card companies wouldn't have just reversed a charge because he wanted them to. He had to have a reason that qualifies. Id be willing to bet that he lied to them about his reason for the charge back.

Also, this is why it is sometimes a good idea to just list on ebay and then only ship to verified addresses, or as mentioned, dont ever sell to someone with no iTrader etc. But thats after the fact now.

I'll be contacting paypal to see if they will even give me his credit card company. If not, I'll file a police report in his city and I'll also talk to a lawyer about the next step if all else fails.

I also want to thank you and everyone else for taking the time out of your life to type in this thread and help me out.

zephyrkillz

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with paypal, they cannot give me any information on the credit card company. They did say they can provide my contact info to the credit card company though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Take the information. Contact the credit card company. Submit all of your evidence to them and then file a police report and submit that exact same evidence. If he "has a job as a cop and his dad is a lawyer" you also need to just toss in to him, hey bud... being a cop won't help you when you've been reported to the FBI for credit card fraud and then proceed with those charges as well. Paypal probably isn't going to help in this circumstance and you may very well get shafted and you are probably not going to see that guitar again if he sold it. You REALLY have got to stop dragging your feet here or you are going to lose any chance of recourse you may have left. Call the credit card company asap and submit your evidence and tell them you want to press charges for fraud.

tedtan

Reaction score
^ He doesn't have the CC company's contact info to contact them. I do agree that it's probably an wire/mail fraud case, and the OP should contact the FBI (local police probably can't do anything in these cases).

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Read that wrong. Thought they said they would give him contact info but not details. I would definitely get right on your other avenues of approach though because you're losing time and cops and shit look at the amount of time that has elapsed since action was taken.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What's the status on this? I saw the thread in the FS section. Did he ever pay you what he owed you, or is he still scamming?

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I can say this much, I'll never use paypal gift again for a sale.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I can say this much, I'll never use paypal gift again for a sale.

Totally! I used to do PP gift and then run it through my CC, figuring that the CC will offer me all the protection I need. It's an Amex, and they've always been awesome about it. But after seeing this, .... that noise! Sadly, there is ALWAYS going to be a way to scam somebody.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
...Report the guitar stolen with his local police department. Tell him that he can simply send the guitar back and you wont press charges...He probably still has the guitar too.

Where did you ship to? File a stolen guitar report with the local PD and let Paypal know that you have done that. Contact the company that delivered it. Please tell me that you required signature by him and only him. He would have had to show ID to get the package and will instantly lose the dispute.

^ this

i had a guy who owned a body shop get kicked out of his building and he took a car i was trading him to repair/paint 2 other cars of mine. he finished one of them (rather poorly) but never finished the other.

no one saw it coming and he took stuff from other customers & friends too. he told people he was moving and mentioned 3 different places. of coarse he didnt go to any of those locations and for a few weeks no one could find him.

he quit answering his phones and eventually had both of them shut off. luckily i had his x-gf's phone number and had her tell him that i was reporting the car stolen...long story short, he returned my car in 2 days later.

edit: halloway...i just realized you bumped a thread from 2013 :lol:

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
I sold that guy my Ola Frenning Caparison a couple years ago. He seemed like a good dude. Paid by money order and gave me his phone number to keep in touch. Odd that he's started off with this bad deal and then followed it up with a bunch of good ones.

I'm also curious to know what happened. I see that he's banned now. Won't that make it more difficult to work this out (if that's even an option now)? Granted it's been years, but I've seen stranger things happen in online deals..

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
edit: halloway...i just realized you bumped a thread from 2013 :lol:

Yeah I hopped in here because the TS of this thread put a warning in the scammer's most recent FS post. So I was hoping to see whatever happened. Aaaaannnd, I still don't know. :lol:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... If they cant protect me from $1200.00 then they'll be loosing tens of thousands of dollars from doing future business with me.

Do you honestly expect to do over $40k in non-PayPal-Gift business? And that's just the expense of the transaction. It says nothing about the other costs of dealing with the chargeback, any criminal action, etc. In short, your business is not worth it to them.

Now, if the response by others in reaction to what happened to you looks like it will cost them real losses, then they will do something.

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
Yeah I hopped in here because the TS of this thread put a warning in the scammer's most recent FS post. So I was hoping to see whatever happened. Aaaaannnd, I still don't know. :lol:

I'm with you haha. I actually feel like the unnecessary bumping (my bad) combined with OP's silence is gonna get this thread locked before we ever find out

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i just checked and the op was on here yesterday, so i sent him a message regarding this...hopefully we will find out what happened.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
The lack of resolution on this is very unsatisfying...

Latest posts