Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
I'm still happy with my KM7 MK1 after 4 years. Yes, the pot and switch are terrible (I still have to wiggle mine) and binding is off but it feels and plays nice.

I still need to switch out the pot and switch.

Should I go in there and re-solder everything or just purchase a new pot and switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I'm still happy with my KM7 MK1 after 4 years. Yes, the pot and switch are terrible (I still have to wiggle mine) and binding is off but it feels and plays nice.

Should I go in there and re-solder everything or just purchase a new pot and switch?
Probably better off just buying a new pot. I'm pretty sure the switch is fine, I don't remember others replacing those at all, just the pot.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score

try spraying all the connections with deoxit or contact cleaner first. then if you still have probs, resolder the connections to the pot/switch. if you still have probs after that, then replace the parts.

bastardbullet

Reaction score

Oh, Same here. I have the black burst MK1 without any binding or fretting issues but with exactly the same faulty electronics. Also, i’ve had a weird sustain problem for a couple weeks which was caused by a cracked upper nut. At least it didn’t come with a set of microphonic nazgul/sentient pickups which was another nightmarish challange of the first batch of MK1’s. After all the electronics replacements and a new nut, it’s sill an outstanding gear both for it’s design and components.

Just swap out all that sh*tty crap and go for dimarzio, dunlop or switchcraft pots & swithes. They will all do the justice.

Freyr

Reaction score

I ended up fixing the switch, and replacing the pot w/ a nice bourns push pull. Also had the microphonic pickup issue, so ended up re-soldering everything when I replaced the pickups... the solder job that was in it was in mine was pretty poor, so it might be worth doing anyhow if yours is similarly wired.

But yeah, even after all those problems, still love how the guitar plays! That green MKIII is pretty tempting ...

MisterRinger

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger (well traded for) on a KM7 MKIII

I will say that the quality issues are definitely there. Overspray on the horn. Binding isn't peeling, but has a few cracks running through it. Hoping since I don't gig it will hold up well.

That said, the tuners, bridge, pickups (holy fuck the pickups), the neck (other than the binding), fretwork, and finish are outstanding.

If they'd have got the QC right this would have been a bargain at 1700 bucks. It really does play like a 2k guitar.

Thankfully with the trade of another guitar I had bought used, I didn't come out 1700 in the hole. For the price I got it I am satisfied, but totally understand why anyone who bought this new would be really pissed off.

I wish they put the fishmans in the Indo's that are coming out and just charged 1049 for them. That'd be the sweet spot if you ask me. The body is so thin and comfortable. Feels way better than the old MKI I had (which was still great, but a little too thick bodied for me).

Also of note, the guy I got it from said it came new from sweetwater to him.

It feels like someone tried to sand down the overspray to make it less noticable and for some reason the low B tuning peg was obviously drilled out. The seller said he hadn't touched it other than playing it. Obviously anecdotal, and you hear great things about sweetwater all the time. But it really looks like they polished up a return and sent it to him as new.

Indigo Shinigami

Said the p-word once
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger (well traded for) on a KM7 MKIII

I will say that the quality issues are definitely there. Overspray on the horn. Binding isn't peeling, but has a few cracks running through it. Hoping since I don't gig it will hold up well.

That said, the tuners, bridge, pickups (holy fuck the pickups), the neck (other than the binding), fretwork, and finish are outstanding.

If they'd have got the QC right this would have been a bargain at 1700 bucks. It really does play like a 2k guitar.

Thankfully with the trade of another guitar I had bought used, I didn't come out 1700 in the hole. For the price I got it I am satisfied, but totally understand why anyone who bought this new would be really pissed off.

I wish they put the fishmans in the Indo's that are coming out and just charged 1049 for them. That'd be the sweet spot if you ask me. The body is so thin and comfortable. Feels way better than the old MKI I had (which was still great, but a little too thick bodied for me).

Also of note, the guy I got it from said it came new from sweetwater to him.

It feels like someone tried to sand down the overspray to make it less noticable and for some reason the low B tuning peg was obviously drilled out. The seller said he hadn't touched it other than playing it. Obviously anecdotal, and you hear great things about sweetwater all the time. But it really looks like they polished up a return and sent it to him as new.
Well looks like I wasn't the only one to get one recently, although mine is the probably rare MK-III with actually good QC.

I went to a small shop not too far from me to try out some of the 7 string Schecters they had, namely the MK-II/III with Fishmans.

Looked at the MK-II, felt fine, but the top was practically a plain maple top in black, so I wasn't a fan.

...Speaking of fan, I tried the multiscale C-7 Elite too. Not my cup of tea either.

Tried the MK-III, which was as good as others have said it was in terms of playability, and had a much more favorable finish than the MK-II imo. But the big thing was checking to see if the guitar had the same issues that this forum already pointed out, since it was from the July run...

To my surprise, it didn't. No finish flaking on the fretboard and no finish creeping on the headstock. Sweet.

Put it on layaway, on sale no less, and finally picked it up today. It was still in tune from when I played it a couple months ago actually.

With it also being a repair shop, maybe they saw the issues long before I got there and fixed it. Who knows. All I know is that I'm fortunate enough to be fully content with mine.

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
So I just received a KM7 MKII Friday while I must say it feels great to play, I'm on the fence about returning it. I have 3 issues, two I can honestly look past, the third is pretty much a deal breaker.

The first is one of the string ferrules not pushed all the way into the body, which I figure can be fixed so non issue. Second is the fret board binding finish is creeping on bass side of the neck near the nut. Looks ugly but for a well performing instrument, I can look past it again.

The third issue I noticed when I changed strings. Granted the strings on it weren't terrible but they just didn't feel great. Strung it with a 59-10 set, which I know isn't his spec. Anyway now I have an obnoxious buzz on the open low B. I know it has something to do with the nut not the action.

Just kinda disappointed I feel like I have to make so many concessions for a $1400+ guitar. What do you guys think? I mean the nut is a selling point of the guitar.

Last edited:

oversteve

Reaction score
That might be the case if the nut was slotted for a heavier gauge string.
Or it might need some truss rod adjustment, since you went for a thinner gauge of strings as I understand

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
That might be the case if the nut was slotted for a heavier gauge string.
Or it might need some truss rod adjustment, since you went for a thinner gauge of strings as I understand
Yeah I suppose that's true. It's just strange drop A has no buzz. Idk I'm about to just take it to a tech. Set everything up and push on that ferrule.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
So I just received a KM7 MKII Friday while I must say it feels great to play, I'm on the fence about returning it. I have 3 issues, two I can honestly look past, the third is pretty much a deal breaker.

The first is one of the string ferrules not pushed all the way into the body, which I figure can be fixed so non issue. Second is the fret board binding finish is creeping on bass side of the neck near the nut. Looks ugly but for a well performing instrument, I can look past it again.

The third issue I noticed when I changed strings. Granted the strings on it weren't terrible but they just didn't feel great. Strung it with a 59-10 set, which I know isn't his spec. Anyway now I have an obnoxious buzz on the open low B. I know it has something to do with the nut not the action.

Just kinda disappointed I feel like I have to make so many concessions for a $1400+ guitar. What do you guys think? I mean the nut is a selling point of the guitar.

I believe that's an easy replacement honestly. I'd wait for others to chime in though who've actually done such a thing since I haven't.

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
That's very true, I'm going to go ahead and try an EB .10-.62 set and see if that corrects it. Alternatively, I've already sourced the right tusq nut if that's needed.

Despite all the bad, I really do like the guitar, frets, neck, pickups. And that's coming from owning single cut guitars almost exclusively.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
That's very true, I'm going to go ahead and try an EB .10-.62 set and see if that corrects it. Alternatively, I've already sourced the right tusq nut if that's needed.

Despite all the bad, I really do like the guitar, frets, neck, pickups. And that's coming from owning single cut guitars almost exclusively.

Yeah all of mine were great playing guitars. They felt amazing.

bastardbullet

Reaction score

Ernie ball 10-62 cobalt will do the work. I use the same set on my mk1 in A standard tuning. No buzzing, no weird intonation nightmares, simply flawless.

stinkoman

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I might be able to get a replacement back plate for the electronics for a KM7 I? Schecter says they don't sell parts and had no luck on ebay or reverb.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I might be able to get a replacement back plate for the electronics for a KM7 I? Schecter says they don't sell parts and had no luck on ebay or reverb.
You might have to make one yourself. It's too niche of a model to find a replacement.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

You might have to make one yourself. It's too niche of a model to find a replacement.

Yep, buy a blank sheet of the material and cut it to size. It's up to you to make it as nice and fitting as you can so take your time. Also, foil shield the back of it. Cheap foil tape can be bought from Amazon.

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
If someone has a compass the dimensions should be pretty easy.