Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've kept up with the production MKIIIs, how have they been overall?

I remember in the beginning it seemed like lemon after lemon that people kept returning, but was that simply SSO being SSO or were the guitars actually mediocre?

That was me. I had to return 3. All had pretty bad chipping along the fretboard. It was beyond acceptable at the price point. I ended getting a 4th a few months later that still has the issue although much less severe AND it was much cheaper too (like $400 off I think).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Why would it have the Ibanez hipshot?

Because that's what the MK-III Artist models have. It's a style of bridge. I think it's Hipshot's version of a Gibraltar bridge (commonly used on Ibanez guitars).

What NotQuiteWest said and the fact that is amazingly comfortable being the reason for that

My only complaint is that the saddle screws are offset due to the design and I find it really odd aesthetic-wise

Yeah, it's meant to be a drop-in replacement system for the Ibanez Gibraltar system, which doesn't get the most of praise.

Keith likes it because of the feel, and the fact he likes how massive it is.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Yeah I think the Gibraltar is one of the ugliest looking bridges ever made. I'd replace them with this hipshot every.time

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
More details about the Hybrid model from KM himself

Re the pickups, they only have one voicing, the vol pull is a booster.

Hmm... With one voicing, that makes it sound like Fishman might be working on budget friendly sets that have limited features.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm... With one voicing, that makes it sound like Fishman might be working on budget friendly sets that have limited features.

It would be a smart move considering the price of them at the moment. I love Keith's tone however fuck paying the price for a set of his signature pickups. I don't think I've ever seen a set that expensive outside of boutique stuff (BKP etc). That money will get you anything from SD custom built to your specs.

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
Idk, I even though I only get the two voicings from the MK-2, I find them super versatile and I'd rather have the option of multiple voicings.

lewis

Reaction score
Im way more upfor one voicing cheaper options.
The one set of moderns i have currently doestnt have any switches. They are hardwired for voice 1 bridge and voice 2 neck and i just have 1 volume knob.

So for me it makes total sense to get emg style prices on cheaper 1 voice options

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
It would be a smart move considering the price of them at the moment. I love Keith's tone however fuck paying the price for a set of his signature pickups. I don't think I've ever seen a set that expensive outside of boutique stuff (BKP etc). That money will get you anything from SD custom built to your specs.
SD custom shop is like damn near 400 usd for a set, and fishmans new are like 280 usd for sig sets. not really comparable price wise ime. Also if you want to shit yourself go look up Throbak or old PAF prices. They're like 500-10k usd at least.

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
I mean my Zebra set of Alpha/Omega's set me back 320. And that's just a "shop floor custom" from SD. So I think a Signature Fluence set is reasonable considering you get pots too.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I Really like all three voicings in the Merrow set and would prefer that over a boost. But the White Hybrid looks killer.

That HSS tho..... :yum:

Also been wondering why Keith has not been on Coffee with Ola Yet.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Wondering why the pro km7 has a bolt on neck but the artist is neck through. I wouldve thought the reverse, but maybe that's my naivety

NotQuiteWes

Reaction score
Well both import and US models seem to have two tiers: Bolt-on (Import: Standard / US: Pro) and Neck through (Import: Artist / US: Studio).

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
SD custom shop is like damn near 400 usd for a set, and fishmans new are like 280 usd for sig sets. not really comparable price wise ime. Also if you want to shit yourself go look up Throbak or old PAF prices. They're like 500-10k usd at least.

Is that all Fishmans are in the US? Fuck, we are getting screwed over here, we're paying well north of that, like close to $400US.

Yeah, have seen the classic listing for a genuine 59' pickup set for 4-5 digits. It's just ego stroking at that point.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Is that all Fishmans are in the US? Fuck, we are getting screwed over here, we're paying well north of that, like close to $400US.

Yeah, have seen the classic listing for a genuine 59' pickup set for 4-5 digits. It's just ego stroking at that point.
yup, new set of moderns is like 260usd, sig sets are 280usd or so.
You guys are getting completely fucked if you're paying 400 usd for the fluence. Same thing with guys in Europe getting hosed on Duncan prices.

Reactions: Vyn

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
yup, new set of moderns is like 260usd, sig sets are 280usd or so.
You guys are getting completely fucked if you're paying 400 usd for the fluence. Same thing with guys in Europe getting hosed on Duncan prices.

Welcome to being in Australia where our dealers by from a supplier who buys from a supplier who buys from a supplier.... There's so many middle men now it's bullshit. Used to be able to ship stuff direct cheaper up until a few years ago when global shipping prices got shafted.

BKPs were pretty expensive for us, conversely

Set of Jugs/Rags will set you back around $400USD here. About the only brand we don't get fucked on is Dimarzio which is why I'm highly considering switching from SD because getting SDs in Australia lately has been a right fucking mess (supplier issues, not SD's fault).

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
So tried a little experiment. Got a set of 8 string Ernie Ball's 74 -10 for my KM-7. Laid the 10 aside, and strung the guitar up with the 74 - 13. What a difference! Tuned to G standard the thing resonates acoustically like you wouldn't believe. Would definitely recommend this string set to anyone going lower than B standard on theirs.