Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
You definitely have to adjust your playing technique and use a lighter touch when you're tuning a 26.5" guitar that low. Raising the action and adding more neck relief helps a lot too. I generally keep my 27" 8 strings tuned to drop E with a considerably higher action on the bass strings than my higher tuned instruments and they work great with .74s or .80s.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I should've gotten the .80... just strung the KM7 with .74 at the 7th string and even in F# it's pretty floppy. If I drop it to E it's Rattletown.
80 isn't going to do anything but sound duller. If you want to tune that low and have similar tension to the next higher strings, you need more scale length not a fatter string. Otherwise you just have to adapt to a floppy low string with the rest of the strings tighter.

I play music

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to setup a KM7 like an 8-string without the high E? Lowest string tuned to F#.
It has a "compensated" nut for standard tuning with normal strings. With a wound third I guess that would be bad for your intonation.
80 isn't going to do anything but sound duller. If you want to tune that low and have similar tension to the next higher strings, you need more scale length not a fatter string. Otherwise you just have to adapt to a floppy low string with the rest of the strings tighter.
And yeah personally I also think that scale length is way too short

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score

rawrxd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Noticed a new Keith Merrow sig from the USA shop is done in a bolt-on configuration. Wonder why he changed from all the neck thru’s

Estilo

Reaction score
Is there anything on the Standard 6 string model that makes it worth buying? Bolt-on, nickel frets, 25.5" scale, in-house pickups? Apart from the naming convention there's nothing that it shares with the other Merrow models.

mbardu

Reaction score
Is there anything on the Standard 6 string model that makes it worth buying? Bolt-on, nickel frets, 25.5" scale, in-house pickups? Apart from the naming convention there's nothing that it shares with the other Merrow models.

Nah as far as I can tell, they're pretty basic guitars, and even 479$ is not that much of a deal on them.
Those are not even in-house pickups (actual Schecter pickups are among the very best), but instead look like cheap generic OEMs.

Estilo

Reaction score
@mbardu Interesting, which particular Schecter pickups should we look out for? I've yet to come across Schecter's pickups. Come to think of it even most of their more affordable stuff at US$350-500 come with EMGs or SDs.

mbardu

Reaction score
@mbardu Interesting, which particular Schecter pickups should we look out for? I've yet to come across Schecter's pickups. Come to think of it even most of their more affordable stuff at US$350-500 come with EMGs or SDs.

Pasadena for an all arounder. SuperRock for something a bit gnarlier. SuperCharger for something a bit more metal.

I have not played all schecter custom pickups, but I have not played a bad one. Much like the Anderson H pickups. For comparison I've definitely played BKPs i didn't like. Would definitely pick the "average" Schecter set over the average SD or EMG for sure.

Thomas Mims

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey man I own both the artist and the standard I actually enjoy the standard so much that I’m selling the artist. The thing that makes the standard so good is just quality build. The swamp ash drives the price up but it really is a good piece of wood. The Schecter pickups are voiced by Keith himself and can confirm because I asked him on twitch live they sound really good he has a video called “Coven of Hags” where you can hear it in a mix. The lack of a tone knob makes it brighter with more clarity than if you were to have one of course. The biggest thing that should have been included IMO are locking tuners. Overall I used it as a great opportunity for modding as all the KMs are just barebones work horse guitars. They feel inspiring and btw the Bolt on is IMO more comfortable to me as the artist has no heel whatsoever and for me that feels weird but of course that’s preference. I’ll link a picture of it will let me