Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrWulf

Reaction score
If anything, the moderns are more twangy/djent sounding to my ears. The KMs are just a modified classic in the bridge and a classic neck IIRC, which would be more subdued than the moderns.

Anyway, Black Winters would be a great choice sound wise. They may be a bit snug to fit in the actual cavities because of the routes. Someone on here did it before, I think. @MrWulf ?

It would be snug, yes. You'd have dremel the base of the pickups in the corners in order to make it fit the cavity, but its doable. I handed it to a luthier and he got it done no problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Yes i noticed this as well and was disappointed. But I kinda am only playing 6s these days unfortunately lol.
OK, I emailed Sustainiac with this question. For the record and general audience, the answer was (quite rapidly I might add):

"I think that guitar has a "reverse-phase" hookup of the bridge pickup. Try reversing the red/black shielded wires of the Sustainiac driver. Leave the shield connected. FIRST, TAKE OUT THE BATTERY. We see this often."

I haven't done anything yet but its on my list of Guitar Things to fiddle with one of these days. Weather's too nice,

LegionsOfRaum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Installed some Lundgren M7 pickups in my KM7. I got a set with black poles, which look like the black heaven pickups, but they are in fact M7 pickups. They look and sound awesome.

20221119_172920.jpg

20221119_172926.jpg

hjmp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ordered a KM-7 MK-III artist a couple of days ago, and while doing my topical setup (pickup height, action and neck relief) I noticed that the truss rod wheel slides in and out vertically. Is that normal? I’ve never had it happens before and wondering if I should return it.

It is, in fact, working as I could set the relief of the neck to where I wanted (when measuring in the 7th fret, pressing the first and the last fret, it’s at 0.08”) and a low string action (1mm treble / 1.25 bass).

Referential picture:

3AA960D6-BD48-44ED-A502-A10ABC3B27BB.jpeg

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I ordered a KM-7 MK-III artist a couple of days ago, and while doing my topical setup (pickup height, action and neck relief) I noticed that the truss rod wheel slides in and out vertically. Is that normal? I’ve never had it happens before and wondering if I should return it.

It is, in fact, working as I could set the relief of the neck to where I wanted (when measuring in the 7th fret, pressing the first and the last fret, it’s at 0.08”) and a low string action (1mm treble / 1.25 bass).

Referential picture:

View attachment 118783
Do you mean it slides in and out as in it's literally loose in there? Can you hear it rattling around?

If so, that's absolutely a defective guitar and would warrant a return.

hjmp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you mean it slides in and out as in it's literally loose in there? Can you hear it rattling around?

If so, that's absolutely a defective guitar and would warrant a return.
It does not rattles, and it is not loose in there. But you can move the wheel hex key up and down if you apply pressure with a tool.

I just emailed Schecter and they said this:

Thanks for the inquiry. That is not an issue as long as the truss rod itself works. It sits in a channel, so it can be moved up and down.

That’s definitely weird.

Last edited:

hjmp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Update:

I did what I always do with things (computers, guitars, etc) and opened the thing.

The spoke wheel is not soldered, or attached, like in my other guitars. Is just a female hex key that attaches to the end of the truss rod, that’s why it was moving up and down.

There was also some excess material on the wheel that was bothering me (it though it was metal, maybe a bad casting) but ended up just being excess silicone of some sort.

Everything is good and I’m much more comfortable with this guitar now that I know for sure that everything is ok.

472590C0-78B7-4231-9F1D-81F4C98AF9E1.jpeg
9BBE5CBF-88D7-4C8B-82AF-2F4278B6DF07.jpeg
2513E048-49C1-419D-9BAB-9E5B7AD63F11.jpeg

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Update:

I did what I always do with things (computers, guitars, etc) and opened the thing.

The spoke wheel is not soldered, or attached, like in my other guitars. Is just a female hex key that attaches to the end of the truss rod, that’s why it was moving up and down.

There was also some excess material on the wheel that was bothering me (it though it was metal, maybe a bad casting) but ended up just being excess silicone of some sort.

Everything is good and I’m much more comfortable with this guitar now that I know for sure that everything is ok.

View attachment 118798View attachment 118799View attachment 118800
Huh, I can't say I've seen that before, but Schecter is right. As long as it's not moving around and the truss rod works, it shouldn't be an issue.

Glad to hear that's all it is.

hjmp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Huh, I can't say I've seen that before, but Schecter is right. As long as it's not moving around and the truss rod works, it shouldn't be an issue.

Glad to hear that's all it is.

For sure, it’s a weird design decision and the first time I’ve seen it. On my other guitars the spoke wheel is not something you can take out.

I’m also glad I can start enjoying this guitar without worrying, as it is flawless, and has the best top I’ve seen in these MK-III.

Anyways, I’m going to leave what I find here, just in case someone else has the same questions.

Happy holidays everyone!

EDB25F37-C47F-45B9-B19A-704C7D713BC6.jpeg

The Monster With .

Death row, water buffalo
Reaction score
Am I right on assuming the mk-iii is a flat to design? It looks that way, but I can't fully tell from the pictures.

I have a mk-ii and have never really bonded with it, I think the bevel just doesn't agree with me (I know I'm weird lol).

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Am I right on assuming the mk-iii is a flat to design? It looks that way, but I can't fully tell from the pictures.

I have a mk-ii and have never really bonded with it, I think the bevel just doesn't agree with me (I know I'm weird lol).
iI has a slight curve to the top and doesn't have the beveled edges like the MKII.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think I said awhile back tey should do a trans white KM MKIII as a callback to the KM Mk1, so it's cool to see it might be happening on the 10th anniversary.
I wonder if that hashtag means we're getting a new model called the KM MkIII Legacy with specs close to the original MK1.

GustavoGP

Reaction score
I saw these protos at Reverb (and maybe ebay too) way back in time, saved the pictures cause i liked the trans-white with MKIII specs, and yeah, ibby bridge looks way better especially with this finish
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

And a seven..... so hot this one
wqygq5s1mrn48pemlrrd.jpg

xesqlydvvttyozmdofco.jpg

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the shape of the KMIII, and I love the old style Hipshot bridge, so if there's a Legacy model coming... consider my interests piqued!

Seeing as we're in this thread, has anyone got any experience of the KM6 with the Predator inlays? I think the inlays are possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen but I rarely see anything about these instruments. Inferior model or import workhorse?...

akexogupqkajx7li4qv4.jpg

352338-1567767386189.png

Although the fact the saddles are absolutely maxed out in this pic doesn't fill me with confidence... Reminds me of the whole Kiesel Aries issue.

352346-1567767415543.png

Last edited:

Masoo2

Reaction score