Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zulphur

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to pull the trigger on a MKII with the Nazgul Sentient set. Is there any user here that can vouch for those pickups on that guitar ? It seems like it's going to be QUACK city. The pickups i like the most are the 57/66 sets and the Het Set. I don't want to expend a ton of money buying new pickups for this guitar.
I also wonder why this guitars are always floating around in big numbers in the used market , something wrong with it ? or maybe the tone is to specific ?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to pull the trigger on a MKII with the Nazgul Sentient set. Is there any user here that can vouch for those pickups on that guitar ? It seems like it's going to be QUACK city. The pickups i like the most are the 56/66 sets and the Het Set. I don't want to expend a ton of money buying new pickups for this guitar.
I also wonder why this guitars are always floating around in big numbers in the used market , something wrong with it ? or maybe the tone is to specific ?
Lol @ quack city, that’s a good description.
In my opinion, you are correct. I have the MKI and removed those pickups after about a year. At first they were fine, but as time went on and none of my other guitars sounded even remotely similar, I couldn’t stand the nasally sound anymore.

Zulphur

Reaction score
Lol @ quack city, that’s a good description.
In my opinion, you are correct. I have the MKI and removed those pickups after about a year. At first they were fine, but as time went on and none of my other guitars sounded even remotely similar, I couldn’t stand the nasally sound anymore.
Well that's exactly what i'm trying to avoid. It also seems that many people buying this guitar is usually changing that pickup set wich is also a concern to me Ebony fingerboard and ash body plus a high mid forward pickup is clearly a weird combination

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
M
Hi, I'm about to pull the trigger on a MKII with the Nazgul Sentient set. Is there any user here that can vouch for those pickups on that guitar ? It seems like it's going to be QUACK city. The pickups i like the most are the 57/66 sets and the Het Set. I don't want to expend a ton of money buying new pickups for this guitar.
I also wonder why this guitars are always floating around in big numbers in the used market , something wrong with it ? or maybe the tone is to specific

I got a used MKII 7 and it’s an absolute amazing guitar. Honestly it surprises me how good it is. It is a noticeable step up from the Korean 1000 series LTDs I own. Honestly it’s hard to believe it’s not worth twice the price.

I did swap out the Nazgul to a Pegasus though. The Nazgul is not very versatile and it leans very heavy in one particular genre and sound.

The Nazgul is fun to play and has a really punchy low end, it usually stands out very well in a mix. If you’re not into “extreme metal” styles or a vowel/honky/quack midrange then you likely won’t like it.

In my opinion the KM7 MK2 is such a good guitar that often goes for super cheap in the used market that it’s worth buying and upgrading the bridge pickup in the future when you get the funds.

Last edited:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score

$789 KM7 MkIII Artist.
Someone get this before they realize they screwed up bad :lol:
I'd have this on the way to me already if I didn't have bills coming up.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

$789 KM7 MkIII Artist. Someone get this before they realize they screwed up bad :lol:
I'd have this on the way to me already if I didn't have bills coming up.
aaaannnd.... gone. Well, that was quick. I bookmarked this about 4 hours ago, and I just checked to see the page has been taken down already.

Riffer Madness

Reaction score
aaaannnd.... gone. Well, that was quick. I bookmarked this about 4 hours ago, and I just checked to see the page has been taken down already.
I was thinking about getting it before I found this thread.

For under 800, it was probably covered in covid boogers though

Last edited:

thrashmetalguy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a MK-III Hybrid, but I'm unsure about the pickups. They have already disapeared from the Fishman webpage, and they are single voiced. They also share the name with the other Fishman KM signature pickups, so I'm finding it very difficult to find information and guess how they will sound compared to other Fishmans.

I own a C-1 SLS Elite with Fishman Fluence Modern pickups. Are the Fishmans in the Hybrid anything like any voice of the Fluence Modern? I only found a single video on youtube were someone was comparing both guitars, but the sound was really too saturated to hear the differences. Also the guy was not explicit with which voice he was using in the SLS Elite.

Any ideas, thoughts? Is the Fishman KM Hybrid more like voice 1 in the Fluence Modern? More like voice 2? Completely different? Sounds like an EMG, like a SD?

Thank you guys!!

P.S. Unfortunately I live in Europe and there aren't many shops selling Schecter, so I can't try them.

Last edited:

MrWulf

Reaction score
The Fishman KM pickup is basically a custom bridge and an Open Classic neck. The bridge is medium high output, with a bit of a low mid bump in the voicing. Its very much a non metal pickup but it is very articulate, clear and tight overall when under high gain.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a MK-III Hybrid, but I'm unsure about the pickups. They have already disapeared from the Fishman webpage, and they are single voiced. They also share the name with the other Fishman KM signature pickups, so I'm finding it very difficult to find information and guess how they will sound compared to other Fishmans.

I own a C-1 SLS Elite with Fishman Fluence Modern pickups. Are the Fishmans in the Hybrid anything like any voice of the Fluence Modern? I only found a single video on youtube were someone was comparing both guitars, but the sound was really too saturated to hear the differences. Also the guy was not explicit with which voice he was using in the SLS Elite.

Any ideas, thoughts? Is the Fishman KM Hybrid more like voice 1 in the Fluence Modern? More like voice 2? Completely different? Sounds like an EMG, like a SD?

Thank you guys!!

P.S. Unfortunately I live in Europe and there aren't many shops selling Schecter, so I can't try them.
The KM set is really just a bridge pick up voiced by Keith and a fishman classic in the neck. His bridge pick up is nothing like a modern tonally. Closest in the range is the classic and maybe the Javier Reyes set in voice 1. He voiced it to be very passive like in sound. Not super hot out put. that said. This guy's demo and review of the KM Hybrid is one of the best. Does a lot of tones in this and he's got it sound REALLY nice.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score

Thank you guys!!

KM bridge in the single voicing that's on the Hybrid is very close to the Classic bridge. If you can try a guitar with those, you'll be in the ball park. IIRC when I compared them side by side the classic just needed a bit of a boost around 1.3-2kHz before the amp and it was nearly indistinguishable.

Bassnguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
what's the difference between Pro and Stage USA custom shop models? is it mostly just the finish and woods?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
what's the difference between Pro and Stage USA custom shop models? is it mostly just the finish and woods?
I think the main thing seems to be the neck? The Stage has the standard maple/walnut laminated neck, while the Pro has the bougie wenge/purple heart 56-piece neck. I've seen some Stages that have transparent finishes/figured tops, which seem to be custom orders. Production wise it seems the Stage is solid and the Pros are transparent/figured maple.

norbert_jr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
hi y'all!
finally joined the KM kvlt last week! pickedup a KM-7 Artist at my local shop and it's an absolute banger of an axe!
i love everything about it, shape, weight, the fishmans, feel – especially the open pore neck <3
playing mostly the classic PAF voicing, i really enjoy the tones i get out of it.

and have you seen there was published a Legecy edition with lundgrens these days?

Attachments

• schectember2023-3.jpg
    schectember2023-3.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6404.jpg
    IMG_6404.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6403.jpg
    IMG_6403.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6402.jpg
    IMG_6402.jpg