Seymour Duncan Custom appreciation thread

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The Custom is overall my favorite SD pickup. Better for rhythm than the JB and almost does JB things on leads. I'd be very interested in a Custom 8.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
So as i have never played an sh-5, how can the sound be summed up now? From what i have red, it hast crisp/aggressive high end, scooped mids, but what about the low end? Some say it is thick, others that it is less than what they expected.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So as i have never played an sh-5, how can the sound be summed up now? From what i have red, it hast crisp/aggressive high end, scooped mids, but what about the low end? Some say it is thick, others that it is less than what they expected.
It'a definitely tight but it's present. Like it doesn't feel thin but it also doesn't feel muddy. I wish I can describe it without sounding like shitty marketing PR. Also the mid scoop isn't that bad. Mostly because there's a spike in the upper mids that makes the pickup cutting

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s not super high output but hits the amp just right and works well with an overdrive. It’s tight but still thick without being dark. The lower mids are kinda scooped while the high mids give it that great crunch characteristic and the highs are kinda rolled off and not really trebly like Lundgren pickups are. It’s a great all rounder but still has the ceramic sizzle that I enjoy.

Honestly, if it had a trendy name like the Nazgûl or black winter, it would prob be more popular, but I can’t recommend it enough for death metal and similar styles

Reaction score
Honestly I can't even explain the pickup well because any attempts to sounds dumb. It's "enough". It's gainy enough, it's thick enough, it's clear enough, it's punchy enough. It's my favorite pickup because its not wild in any particular frequency or spec. It's just enough and that's how it stands out.

I have a covered version and a normal version and I'll definitely say there's a difference. If you're a fan of the Custom and you have them in multiple guitars I definitely suggest a covered set

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm hoping it'll be a situation like the EMG 57/66TW where it'll be a market available option in the future. I'm super curious about the Cusotm 14.