Seymour Duncan Custom appreciation thread

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the sh-5 on my 6 string and I love it. Way better than the black winters that were in it before. It’s tight yet super crunchy and not too trebley. It’s high end is crisp.

I actually ordered a custom set (jazz for the neck and sh-5 for bridge) for my 7 string with triangle baseplates to replace the black heavens that I have as I want to see how the 7 string version sounds. Need to wait like 3 months though since it’s a floor shop custom.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ntotoro

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All this talk it crispiness and crunchiness is making me hungry.

As someone who really loves the DD already, what makes the custom better?

I don't know if "better" is the appropriate word, but they're different. The DD is obviously a bit hotter, a bit more grainy, to my ears... plus a hair more crunchy.

BabUShka

Reaction score
All this talk it crispiness and crunchiness is making me hungry.

As someone who really loves the DD already, what makes the custom better?

I dont know, but when I swapped from the DD to SH5 in my Eclipse, I felt like the guitar went from Black Metal mode to more semi-modern in-your-face sound. It just feels tighter on the low end and more focused. I like to dig in on the strings when I play - with the DD it felt like it distorted the overall sound a lot, while the SH5 sounded more "clean".

And even though Seymour Duncan shows the EQ responce, where the DD is supposed to be much more mid-heavy than the SH5 -> I sometimes had issues with the DD where it drowns in the sound when jamming with others, I dont have this issue witht he SH5.

1720017407195.png

Last edited:

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I dont know, but when I swapped from the DD to SH5 in my Eclipse, I felt like the guitar went from Black Metal mode to more semi-modern in-your-face sound. It just feels tighter on the low end and more focused. I like to dig in on the strings when I play - with the DD it felt like it distorted the overall sound a lot, while the SH5 sounded more "clean".

And even though Seymour Duncan shows the EQ responce, where the DD is supposed to be much more mid-heavy than the SH5 -> I sometimes had issues with the DD where it drowns in the sound when jamming with others, I dont have this issue witht he SH5.

View attachment 146226
The DD sounds like video game music guitar, completely fills out the mix. Just wind the volume back 1/3rd cleans up nicely.

The SH-5 is not that vintage in the wind so it has the power and the string separation, some are around 13.7 kohm.

But it sounds like a PAF in the bridge, super crunchy.

Ultimate seymour duncan HH and I have tried about 20,
is SH-5 bridge and Seth Lover SH-55 neck....How can you beat a neck pickup for retail prices made on THE ORIGINAL MACHINES the original seth lovers were?

zjb7777

Reaction score
The Duncan Custom is by far my favorite pickup for metal. It handles low tunings extremely well IMO and I've used the 6 string version as low as drop F# on a standard scale with really good results. Criminally underrated pickup.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
There are threads for everything else so why not? I feel like the Custom gets overlooked for the Distortion, Black Winter, etc.

Any other Custom fans? This goes for all the Custom variants as well.
I use a Seymour Duncan TB-6 Distortion, SH-13 Dimebucker, TB-4 JB (Alnico VIII swapped), Nazgul, Sentient, Alpha, Omega, and Alnico II Pro neck pickups and <3 them all.

You missed the Seymour Duncan appreciation forum though. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I didn't miss it, this is specifically for the Custom.
Eh, fine. I have a TB-11 Custom Custom, which is already an awesome pickup. I mag-swapped it for an Alnico VIII, which made the output apparently a bit higher, with tighter lows and a bit more bloom in the midrange. SD had a limited run of Custom VIII pickups on Reverb a few weeks ago.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Custom 59 hybrid is the superior variant, but I do like the custom 5 and regular custom a lot too.
They were apparently available as a 7-string for a while, and could be ordered as soapbar models. But never saw one in the wild. I keep an eye open on Reverb if they ever pop up.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Iirc the SH-5 was the pickup Seymour made for EVH yeeeaaaars ago when Van Halen was first getting big. I can definitely hear that VH2 brightness and fatness even if he didn't use it in the long run. also iirc EVH eventually used the A2 variant in a couple of Kramer's alongside the JB.