Seymour Duncan Duality active pickups

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/duality-set

Just in time to compete against EMG's Retro Active set.

Tonally, they seem like the opposite of the Blackouts. Those have more of a low-mid emphasis while this focuses on the treble. Another surprising thing is that it uses Alnico 2 magnets.

I kinda wonder if these were the pickups Tosin Abasi was making with Duncan before he jumped?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
my disdain fir actives is no secret, but his may just persuade me. The retro actives arent as bad as typical emgs when it comes to the bright compressed sound, but with A2 mags (my personal favourite) i may have to swap out a set or two. Maybe my Custom custom/RP 59 set in my Washburn

SqWark

Reaction score
Agree with ^^^

Actives with A2 magnets definitely got my attention.

In the right guitar, (Ash or Alder) A2's can sound incredible in my opinion.
I already have a Custom Custom, an EVH Frankenstein and a Duncan RTM in some of my other guitars. Looks like I need to buy a(nother) new guitar to put these in :)

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
They definitely sound much more organic. I don't see myself jumping back to actives or anything, but I would say that if I bought a guitar with active in it, that I really appreciate all the options out there now. Would love to hear Merrow doing a shootout of passives and actives updated with all of these new options.

Tripped1

Reaction score
my disdain fir actives is no secret, but his may just persuade me. The retro actives arent as bad as typical emgs when it comes to the bright compressed sound, but with A2 mags (my personal favourite) i may have to swap out a set or two. Maybe my Custom custom/RP 59 set in my Washburn

I was thinking either my Eagle, or maybe SE24......there are definitely a set of these in my near future.

SqWark

Reaction score
Why would you send out a "Duality Active Pickups Available Now" email when they are still not available?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Man, love the sound of these. +1 for being some of the best SDs I've heard, -1 for SD's new logo.

lewis

Reaction score
They definitely sound much more organic. I don't see myself jumping back to actives or anything, but I would say that if I bought a guitar with active in it, that I really appreciate all the options out there now. Would love to hear Merrow doing a shootout of passives and actives updated with all of these new options.

I read him and Seymour Duncan have parted ways, so i presume we wont see anymore duncan/pickup shootout vids again sadly.

I presume he is jumping on Fishman like the rest

squids

Reaction score
I read him and Seymour Duncan have parted ways, so i presume we wont see anymore duncan/pickup shootout vids again sadly.

I presume he is jumping on Fishman like the rest

where did you read that?
the video demoing the duality is him playing, if i am not mistaken. if he did leave though that's a huge bummer, i liked his demo videos, even though ive never liked SD pickups.

i think on paper these sound really cool but the demo, at least to my ears, sounded kinda odd. not a big fan of the sound. then again, i also didn't like the sound of bulb's horizon pedal, so maybe my ears are just f...ed.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
where did you read that?
the video demoing the duality is him playing, if i am not mistaken. if he did leave though that's a huge bummer, i liked his demo videos, even though ive never liked SD pickups.

i think on paper these sound really cool but the demo, at least to my ears, sounded kinda odd. not a big fan of the sound. then again, i also didn't like the sound of bulb's horizon pedal, so maybe my ears are just f...ed.

Keith Merrow wrote on his Instagram that "he's no longer with SD". To me it means he left SD as he used to work there.

Latest posts