Shadow kill pots

• Thread starter adrianb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

adrianb

Reaction score
Who has experience with using Shadow Electronics SH-124 kill pots? I'm toying with the idea of using one as my volume pot in my Strat. How durable is the pot and the switch? Is it easy to actuate the kill switch by accident?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
Ι have one in a Stargazer Schecter (which I m trying to off-load like 1 year now). The pot seems sturdy and durable and it is impossible (at least to me) to actuate it by accident. However this also means that fast cuts and rhythmic patterns are especially difficult because the button is so hard to press. Imho better to use a normal volume pot and a stand-alone arcade style button.

Scordare

Reaction score
I love the Shadow Kill Pots!! ..and have them on several guitars. There’s no better option for a “kill switch” on a guitar because it simply replaces a volume or tone pot with no drilling or irreversible modifications..unlike the big arcade style switches. The switch is very durable and I use it frequently.. It requires a deliberate/push down on the top of the knob and not easy to do accidentally.. also it has a detent/notch at the full volume position to help keep it from moving when you tap.

I’ve only had a problem with one that was defective out of the package. All others work great!! They are a bit tricky to install/solder so not for a beginner..

A Kill Pot with a MAB or Batten string dampener is a glorious thing!!!!

adrianb

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I asked Shadow if they offer the Kill Pot in a short shaft package, and unfortunately they don't. As it is, the Kill Pot won't fit the shallow cavity in my Strat.

also it has a detent/notch at the full volume position to help keep it from moving when you tap.

Cool feature, but i guess it would make pinky volume swells harder to do...

stand-alone arcade style button.

No way, those things are ugly.

adrianb

Reaction score
Have you checked the Tesi switches offered buttons?

I haven't heard of them until now. Those look great! But i really don't have any room left for an additional switch, even the 10mm ones.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of Tesi swtiches and they're great. Nobody else makes 12mm latching killswitches. They look super cool and understated if you choose the model without leds.