Shawn Lane Tone

• Thread starter includao
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
I know a man I can ask.....will do so tomorrow. I'm going through a bit of a Shawn Lane revival atm and man....I do love his tone.

I'm GASing for a 750xl as I was lucky enough to play one in '89 but couldn't afford it at the time. I went back after payday and the damn thing had gone never to be seen again but its possibly the nicest 6er I've played if you don't mind archtops and can put up with a reasonably sized neck.

I've found a web page that talks about the Charvel 750XL (link), and it states that it had a short scale neck. I'm guessing a 24.75" scale? Can anyone confirm this?

I'd love to build something similar to this guitar through Warmoth eventually. They're actually quite stunning, I had always though Lane played some sort of Soloist. :wallbash:

EDIT: I apologize for the thread derail, by the way!

Blackrg

Reaction score
yes, They are gibson scale and they rock

The other Jackson?Charvel that has the similar scale is the Fusion

Dont know why companies dont make these superstrats

I have the Warmoth conversion neck myself, and they are great

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Aye, its a 24 3/4" (Gibson) scale and they are indeed bloody gorgeous. They were only a very short production run but I can honestly say that while it is a "dream" guitar the second-hand market really is dodgy as a lot of the examples are fairly well-loved :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I've got his Guitar on backlist for my 20th birthday present, I'm pretty psyched :)

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I've got his Guitar on backlist for my 20th birthday present, I'm pretty psyched :)

The Vigier sig. model?

Very nice indeed - I want one SO badly given how easy they are to play and the fact its almost a perfect 6'er imo (that, or a Parker Fly Mojo).

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I take it Lane used a 24.75" instrument because of his hands being smaller? At least, compared to guys like Paul Gilbert, for example.

I've been so wrapped up in longer scale guitars (27"+) because of lower tunings, but a 24.75" scale would make the stretches a hell of a lot easier. It's not a bad idea for me either; my palms are wide, but I have shorter fingers, so a 1-5 fret stretch is my maximum on a 25.5" scale guitar.

Does anyone know what pickups were used in his Charvel? ShadyDavey, I know in one of your earlier posts in this thread (and the video that was posted) that Lane used lower output PAF style pickups (at least with his Ibanez), but I can't find anything about what his Charvel was loaded with.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Ah, interesting question Rob - I don't actually know.

Those 750xl's came with Jackson pickups as standard of course, and they're actually quite powerful. They also come with a pickup cover on which Shawn has clearly removed but I have no idea if he kept the standards or switched in something else - he never really seemed to worry that much as long as they weren't too hot so I'd hazard a guess that they're standard.

I'll look around and see if I can dig anything up.

As for the scale - yeah, it makes some stretches a little easier but there's not really a massive difference in the size of the frets, I think its simply that with a little lower string tension it feels more comfortable. I've never really thought about it too much as I had both 24 3/4 and 25.5 length guitars but my main was a DC 200 in 24 3/4.

The Vigier's are 25.5 so it might be that he just liked the way they sounded? :)

Edit:

Did some digging - the later 750's didn't have pickup covers, but I haven't found much about the actual pickups themselves....*back to searching*...

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Judging by the interviews I've read, it doesn't seem like he was hugely fussy about the specifics of his guitars. It seems like the only consistent element was a totally straight neck and stupidly low action, which I suspect is what attracted him to the Vigiers...

Just looking on the Vigier website as I type this. Apparently the PUs in his sig were Dimarzio Air Classics, but I don't know if that was standard in all his instruments.

Blackrg

Reaction score
Last edited:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Judging by the interviews I've read, it doesn't seem like he was hugely fussy about the specifics of his guitars. It seems like the only consistent element was a totally straight neck and stupidly low action, which I suspect is what attracted him to the Vigiers...

Just looking on the Vigier website as I type this. Apparently the PUs in his sig were Dimarzio Air Classics, but I don't know if that was standard in all his instruments.

Aye, even with his (at the time) brand-new Ibanez he was very vague about pickups - I just don't think he worred too much as you say :)

Its all in the fingers :agreed:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Still no word on the effects (I suppose it could be from the Profex I know he used a couple of times) but a more comprehensive list of guitars:

Burst strat with BOA.
White strat in the testing vid.
Couple of different LPs.
An SG.
The Jackson Soloist.
The Charvel custom model.
A 7 string black Ibanez.
An Ibanez S series in the guitar player tribute issue.
The Roland guitar.
Various Vigier's
Richard Hallebeek's Brian Moore C90.

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
Cool info Dave, thank you. :yesway:

I'm obsessing over the Charvel 750XL now. I really, really want some sort of short-scale, mahogany superstrat, and I can't find one short of a custom shop or ordering various parts through Warmoth or other similar companies.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Its not really a popular choice for many people but I don't really know why. I guess some people are opposed to the short scale?

The only real options are a Carvin (I had a DC200 that was quite awesome and for a little more cash you could with a Mahogany body/ebony board kind of deal) or possibly a Caparison? The Carvin is clearly (at least in the UK) the cheaper option so other than waiting for a 750XL or equivalent to turn up on Ebay I don't know what to suggest.

(I'm fancying the idea of a short scale myself with my damaged digits so I have been looking).

Edit:

Would appear that as far as his Delay/Chorus its going to remain a mystery with the exception of the post-Profex era. Blatant quote from the MM forum:

ahh yes........ don't forget to mention the Trace Elliot acoustic amps that Shawn can be seen using throught the Vinayakram period in conjunction with the Peavey. Don't forget those. Also don't forget that he didn't OWN any of this gear that you keep listing. He would use whatever was available and lying around, more than likely running the outs of the ProFex straight into the effects returns of any old amp. This is the best way to eliminate excessive eq'ing and preserve the sounds of the patches. These patches can all be heard in the aforementioned AIM video where Shawn makes it perfectly clear that there is no secret weapon pedal or other to his otherworldly sound, other than his otherworldly ears.

The only other rig that bears mentioning is the Westbury overdrive + Holmes Head. The Gijka is a hi fi stereo head that only amplified the delayed signals sent to the other cabinets Shawn would use to compensate for poor room acoustics. All this is discussed in the Power Licks video.

Last edited:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Yeah, its just down to unamed pedals. I'm doing some more digging but as he really wasn't a gear whore he just tended to use whatever he could get his hands on for the most part (the exceptions being the known guitars/amps etc).

The only other information (again, cut/pasted and thanks to the MM forum):

by Laedan Kiana » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:17 am
Jeez....shite sure is getting tense around here already without a certain someone we all know and love to hold us together. What i posted was certainly a no shitter Savitri, and it seemed to me you have been around here long enough to remember a certain certified gear nut named Termite Boy who would start a new thread every week about pro-fex II's and shite......anyways ..... maybe i'm wrong bro and i apologize for sounding all mighty and stuff.

Here ya go...................Assuming everyone already knows about the guitars, the equipment breaks down into two phases.

POT era

Holmes mississippi blues master
Westbury od

The incredible custom power amps you guys have already mentioned were used strictly for Shawn's "quadraphonics" system which is basically a series of four different delay lines running to seperate amps and cabinets. Shawn never mentioned, that i know of anyway, what type of delay units he was using but i remember the system seemed quite elaborate compared to the next era of his gear.

Hellborg era

Peavey Pro-fex II (custom designed for Shawn with special eq curves that simulated the sound of the Holmes amps he had been using up to that time.) Was the main source of everything that you hear from this era. I think Shawn had maybe ten or eleven different presets that he had put together from Background clean to screaming clean sound that almost feedsback it would seem that Shawn was so famous for. Sorry i'm rambling. Point is ....you can't have this piece of gear.....it was custom. So the question is moot........as Jesse Jackson would say.

He would plug the pro-fex into the effects loop of whatever amps he could borrow or rent for a particular gig which in my opinion lent a certain inconsistency from gig to gig as far as his sound goes. For instance in the Paris dvd you can see that he was plugged into Trace Elliot acoustic amps that were very popular back in the 90's. Could that be why his pick attack is so enhanced on that gig compared to any other i have heard?? Probably. Point is though, he was bypassing all the amps circuitry by plugging the Peavey into the effects loop and probably had a global eq that allowed him to adapt the Pro-fex to whatever different power and speakers he was plugging into in order to preserve the sound of his patches.

looping.

early looping was a Lexicon Jamman and later Shawn favored the Line6 delay modellers. 2 or 3 at a time if i remember. He loved the ability to play the loops backward lending the carnatic flavor of certain indian instruments. He would further effect loops with a Digitech ISP33b pitch shifter which was basically Digitechs budget consumer answer to all the hoopla that was being made over Eventide harmonizers back in the day.
Willys/Willies Era:

Roland GR 303
Holmes bluesmaster?
Westbury OD

PoT Era

Gjika amps to record with.
Strats (I read this someplace)
Charvel 750XL in lemon-y colour. (jcfonline forum research says solid colour 750XLs may all be basswood, BTW!)
Ibanez Ghostrider?/Ibanez custom guit

Live rig, I dunno.

HLS:

When was the switch to Vigier? I have seen Willjay posting a pic of bearded, thinner Shawn with the 750XL.
Vigier Excalibur guitar(s)

When was the ProEFX unti dominant with the Lane rig?
Heard rumours he used a POD a few times.
Not sure what his "stock" rig was.

"Icon" era

Custom(?) Vigier guitar, which the Lane signature was based on.
Loop-y pedals. Rack gear. Must watch PARIS DVD for clues!

Sorry I can't help more - its perhaps one of those questions thats never going to be answered.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As you said, it seems like he wasn't really that fussy about anything in his rig...

It would almost certainly be more productive to just experiment with settings on your own rig to get his tone, and then examine his technique in great detail!:lol: