shiny spots on open pore finish

harp27

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
hello all, i was just wondering what may have caused these strange shiny/oily spots on my open pore finish guitar. i did in fact buy the guitar second hand but these shiny spots can only be viewed under certain lighting so i wasnt able to see them in the store. if any one can suggest possible causes and solutions to the issue it would be greatly appreciated. im not sure if its from sweat or abrasion since the shiny spot on the top left is not somewhere i or anyone else would frequently touch to the point of the finish become glossy. thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• 20240628_212538.jpg
    20240628_212538.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like typical glossing that satin finishes tend to get.

I've seen a lot of guitars with glossing, scratching, swirling, etc. in both of those spots, typically made by the pick or the hand.

Clean it with just a damp rag, then brush with a mild abrasive if you want to lose the sheen, but remember you're removing some finish everytime, so eventually you'll wear through the finish. If it's not a concern, I'd just leave it.

harp27

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thanks, im just more confused how theres glossiness next to the fretboard on the top left of the guitar. ill try a light scotch brite pad on the spots later though

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
thanks, im just more confused how theres glossiness next to the fretboard on the top left of the guitar. ill try a light scotch brite pad on the spots later though

Sling the guitar nice and low and strum like crazy, and you're bound to hit it there.

IMG_3635.jpeg

Latest posts