Shipping insured. What do you use?

neurosis

Reaction score
I’m curious about what service you use to ship guitars and what insurance you buy when you do.

I’ve used UPS in the past but since I’ve been selling on reverb I’ve used their protection. It’s been really helpful but I’ve mostly sent smaller items like a preamp and pedals.

Now I’m about to send a guitar and wonder if I’ll be ok using the default protection when I print my shipping label or if it makes sense to go to the UPS store and pay for some insurance there.

what do you guys ship with and what product if you know it makes most sense or has proven reliable for you?

thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything over $1k I have the UPS Store pack and declare for replacement value.

The number one method couriers use to avoid liability is claim you didn't pack it right, but having them pack it they lose that ability.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Anything over $1k I have the UPS Store pack and declare for replacement value.

The number one method couriers use to avoid liability is claim you didn't pack it right, but having them pack it they lose that ability.

I haven't been involved with the UPS store in a while, but damn, I remember them charging a crazy amount for it. Drop off an amp and wind up paying like $250-300 to ship somewhere else in the US. At that rate, and if you're in the position to be able to personally cover the cost of an amp at the time, I really wonder about the calculation of just accepting that at some point one of your amps is going to get smashed and paying for it outright, vs. insuring every package. If it's not outright advantageous to skip the insurance, I can't imagine the margin could be very big.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't been involved with the UPS store in a while, but damn, I remember them charging a crazy amount for it. Drop off an amp and wind up paying like $250-300 to ship somewhere else in the US. At that rate, and if you're in the position to be able to personally cover the cost of an amp at the time, I really wonder about the calculation of just accepting that at some point one of your amps is going to get smashed and paying for it outright, vs. insuring every package. If it's not outright advantageous to skip the insurance, I can't imagine the margin could be very big.

Eh, it's not that much for guitars (~$150 if you don't have an absolute bozo doing the packing), and it depends on the piece, but at this stage of the game I rather just have the peace of mind vs. a little beer money.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, it's not that much for guitars (~$150 if you don't have an absolute bozo doing the packing), and it depends on the piece, but at this stage of the game I rather just have the peace of mind vs. a little beer money.
...don't you work at a brewery?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
UPS is where it’s at right now, FedEx got really bad in the last several years.

FedEx always had the worst service of the big 3 or 4 carriers. Always felt the most shabby too. DHL has those vibes now too, since mostly abandoning NA.

But really, it's entirely regional,especially how near or far you are from a hub. If you have a good or bad driver on your route you'll know too.

neurosis

Reaction score
Everything you guys are saying is pretty much what I have experienced. Seems like we all prefer UPS. Although I am shocked to hear this liability issue where if they didn't pack it themselves they'll have the gal to dispute an insured shipping under their care. What's the point of paying for the service then? Good I take photos with timestamps of everything just in case. But man...

I had a longer conversation with he Reverb people today. Seems their insurance also takes care of handling that part. Essentially they cover and handle the claims with the carrier if stuff goes wrong. I like how they explained it. Might do that.