Should I Sell My 5150 III To Get a 6505(5150)?

• Thread starter Kyle-Vick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle-Vick

Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.
Reaction score
I love the 5150 sound and I really like the EVH 5150iii 50 watt (6L6) that I have, but am I missing out by not just getting the original 6505/5150? Would it sound better recorded or in a mix than my 5153? I don't really need cleans but the green channel is nice on it. I also have a MW dual Rec that has the lone star clean channel and a JCM2000 that sounds nice clean. I have a Kraken V4 that compliments the EVH well. Both channels are tighter and dryer than the EVH and will work well in a mix. Does anyone think the Kraken would be better yet with the original aggressive 6505/5150?

Kyle-Vick

Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.
Reaction score
Another question, could I throw an EQ at it to get it to sound/feel like the 6505?

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Why not both? There's always going to be resale value if you get a used 5150/6505, if you don't like it you should be able to easily sell it for what you paid.

It's been a while since I've played through a 5153, but I think whether one is better or not is gonna depend on the individual. To me, a boosted 6505 is the sound I hear in my head, so I'm always going to gravitate towards that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I wouldn’t sell the amp you love to experiment with something else. Save a bit, buy the 6505, A/B them for a full 4 weeks, then make decision on which one to keep. I personally prefer the 6505 but, i know lots of people prefer the EVH.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
no.
You're just splitting hairs in terms of tone tbh, the og 5150 would be a sidegrade at best (only if we're talking high gain tones) and a downgrade in terms of overall features. Personally I think the 5153 and its iterations are miles better than the old peavey stuff, barring maybe the XXX or Ultra.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
The EVH is a bit different than the Peavey. I've A/B'ed the 6505+ 112 to the 5150 III 50 watt, and I find the Peavey has more low mid thump, while the EVH has more high mid cut and presence. Both sound great, just depends on what you prefer.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I have a 5153 50w Stealth, a 5153 50w EL34, and a 6505. The 5153s definitely have the 5150/6505 flavor in general but you can tell the difference especially in the mids. They’re both awesome. Your idea to keep the EVH and pick up a 6505 sometime is exactly what I’d have suggested.

I also had the V4 Kraken. Great preamp. I thought it meshed best with a clean amp but I can see it being cool just adding different shades of dirt to a high gain amp.

6505 is going on the market btw

KailM

Reaction score
I have both a 6505 head and the first version of the 5153 6L6 50-watt. I’ve had a 6505+ in the past as well, so I know the 5150 family of amps pretty well.

IMO they all offer something a little different and special, while all still have the same signature DNA.

I play my EVH by far the most, because at the touch of a button I can instantly switch from the brutalz to crystalline cleans.

But every time I plug in to my 6505, it causes a grin from ear to ear. I run a Boss EQ in the loop with both amps, and pretty much don’t ever change the curve, just very small tweaks. The 6505 always has a little more grit as well as a deeper chug. I will never sell it.

BadSeed

Reaction score
I have both a 6505 head and the first version of the 5153 6L6 50-watt. I’ve had a 6505+ in the past as well, so I know the 5150 family of amps pretty well.

IMO they all offer something a little different and special, while all still have the same signature DNA.

I play my EVH by far the most, because at the touch of a button I can instantly switch from the brutalz to crystalline cleans.

But every time I plug in to my 6505, it causes a grin from ear to ear. I run a Boss EQ in the loop with both amps, and pretty much don’t ever change the curve, just very small tweaks. The 6505 always has a little more grit as well as a deeper chug. I will never sell it.

I second everything KailM says.

They're all just a little different. The EVH amps have more features and more refined tone, but plugging into the old Peavey's still produces gnarly tones that will make you happy if you're a fan of the 5150 family at all. It's worth owning one of each, IMO

Bearitone

Reaction score

It’s that gritty gain structure that does it for me. The EVH was to “smooth” for my taste.

BadSeed

Reaction score
H
The Kraken ch2 is based off he 6505, so it's likely to make less of a difference than wih the 5150 III.

Stacking 5150 preamps: The ss.org way :lol:
Having owned 2 of the Krakens and being a lover of all things 5150, I can say this with all honesty; I hated the Kraken. Whatever they did to the upper mid frequencies made it really harsh and ear fatiguing to my ears. It does ok in a mix, but on my own, I never even wanted to play it because of this.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
H

Having owned 2 of the Krakens and being a lover of all things 5150, I can say this with all honesty; I hated the Kraken. Whatever they did to the upper mid frequencies made it really harsh and ear fatiguing to my ears. It does ok in a mix, but on my own, I never even wanted to play it because of this.

FWIW, that's what I think of all 5150 variants.