Should i trade my dual rec for ampeg vh140c

Gmork

Reaction score
im totally on the fence. im not into the dual rec sound and have been trying to sell it with a cheap 400w 4x12 for $900 (CAN.) im pretty certain id LOVE th ampeg and have been gassing for a vh140c for a long time. this might be my chance to get one. the trade is a straight trade, the dual rec head for the ampeg head.
(KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND AND I TRUST HIM 100%) anyway, he said that twice and ONLY twice the volume dipped briefly but that was 4 years ago and it never happened again. he could never figure out why it happened and that it might not even have been the amp itself but his pedals/cords/etc. it was gigged and jammed with after that without problem for a few years but due to just getting away from metal and moving into a quiet place he hasnt been playing it for a couple yrs. and likes the versatility of the dual rec.
ssoooo what do you all think? any thoughts on the 2 time volume dip? or is it a non issue seeing as it has been perfectly fine ever since for years? obviously the dual rec is technically worth a lot more but the rarity of the vh140c and the fact that other people would scoop it up asap certainly makes it more valuable than its price suggests. thoughts? and thanks for reading this rant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's wrong with your Dual Rec that it's not selling for $900 with a cab? That's a decent price for just the head.

Hey, if the deal makes you happy and you know you're getting COMPLETELY HOSED on the price, go for it. I'd just probably take the amp to a tech for a once-over before sealing the deal, and maybe make this guy add a little bit of cash.

Not sure how things are in the Great White North, but I've seen them for sale fairly regularly for between $400 and $600 here. They're not super common, but they're far from very rare.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I have to agree with Max, you will be getting the short end of the stick. However, if you are gassing that hard for the ampeg, then go for it.

I wouldn't do it, but thats me, and I love the the dual rec, so I maybe a bit biased.

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
Yeah man, these dudes are 100% correct. I love Suffocation and know that's where their O.G. sound from the first few albums comes from - the vh140c but, it's only the real supernice ones that go for $600. Like, never toured, no wear at all. Unless your dual rec is chomped on your "friend" should be putting up some cash too

Gmork

Reaction score
well im waaayyy over in victoria bc (as far west as you can go). we dont see these amps EVER. i know technically the dual rec is worth more money wise but they are also readily available anytime you feel like picking one up. but factor in that he will throw in a mint voodoo proctavia fuzz/octave pedal and some vintagey mini humbucker pickups (both i plan on selling) AND the fact that the vh140c just isnt something we see here. i honestly dont feel its such a bad deal. here the ampeg would go for $600ish while a dual rec goes for $850 ish. so its not too far off. also got a STUPID crazy deal on the dual rec to begin with. call me crazy but i think im going for it. one legendary amp (that i HATE) for another "cheaper" legendary amp (that im pretty sure im going to .... myself over lol) +some things i can sell for another $100.

Gmork

Reaction score
but i DO totally appreciate you guys just giving it to me straight. thanks

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Made up my mind as soon as I read "Should I trade my dual rec," the answer is always no :lol:

But seriously though, to echo Max and the others, I'd still try to sell it first and then maybe try to buy the VH. Try selling it by itself, without a cab maybe?
Although I am always of the opinion that if it makes you happy you should do it, so if you aren't happy with the Mesa and you do like the VH, enough that if you can't move the extras and end up taking a bit of a dive, take it.

wakjob

Reaction score
You could probably walk that Dual Rec. into a music store and take a massive beating over the head and sell it to them outright, take the money and buy the vh140c, and still have cash left over.

vhtforme

Reaction score
Must be inflation because I remember not too long ago when you could buy a VH140c or Randall RG100ES for $350 bucks all day long. My biggest gripe with these solid state heads is nobody will work on them.

Winger

Reaction score
I have not owned or do I now own either amp. However, since joining this site a little over year ago, I have read over and over again about people who have sold their dual rectifier and regret it.