Should only be able to rep 5 times in a 24 hour period

• Thread starter rectifryer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
As stated, one can simply have multiple threads open and recharge their rep to keep repping an individual. I have seen this SOOOOOO much in this forum it's ridiculous. Putting a time frame rep could certainly curtail the abuse.

Tons of large forums implement this and it works well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I thought there was a max rep limit in any given 24hr period. I know there is for positive rep (unless its changed in the last couple of months) and I've seen people complain about it before. Did you discover a way around this?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I thought there was a max rep limit in any given 24hr period. I know there is for positive rep (unless its changed in the last couple of months) and I've seen people complain about it before. Did you discover a way around this?

I think that is only if its in 1 thread.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
If there is a max limit then this thread should be disregarded. I was just searching and found some posts where there was discussion about stealthdjentastic or whatever rep whoring. An easy way to quell such behavior is to limit the total number of reps in a 24 hour period.

If there is such a limit, I have never hit it, and I rep like crazy. It's ultimately up to the mods and admin as to what environment they wish to culture, this is only a suggestion that I have seen implemented successfully on other boards.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
There is most definitely a limit. Anyone who's participated in a "Christmas Rep Thread" knows that it takes several days to work all the way through it if you're being thorough.

Now, it bears mentioning that I don't think the rep limit is enforced when "Thanking" a thread, as that system needs to circumvent some of the normal rep rules in order to function. However, being as thanking a thread only grants its creator a flat 5 points of rep instead of an amount calculated based on the rep of the giver, there's definitely a ceiling on how much it could be abused.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eh, the more neg rep someone gives the higher likeliness that it's abuse, the faster I can ban the asshat and move on.

Rep isn't really important, so I rather use it to weed out the maroons.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
As stated, one can simply have multiple threads open and recharge their rep to keep repping an individual. I have seen this SOOOOOO much in this forum it's ridiculous. Putting a time frame rep could certainly curtail the abuse.

Tons of large forums implement this and it works well.

Maybe I'm failing to see the issue, but are we talking positively or negatively? In this case it sounds like the classic Mehgage combo of one person repping another positively either for the sake of: gaining their favor in some sort of apprentice/underling/minionship, or to remove a negative rep from their record so they appear clean.

If neg rep, then that person is just a bastard coated bastard with a warm bastard center who needs to move on

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
There is absolutely a positive rep daily limit and it is cross-forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts