Should veneers on expensive (ESP) guitars bother me

• Thread starter Shoeless_jose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Well, not entirely...

A maple top definitely has a tonal impact on a guitar, and 1/4" to 1/2" of flame maple on a mahogany body sounds differently than a veneer on a mahogany body. So, if you're chasing that "maple top on mahogany body" tone, then a veneer alone isn't going to get you there. It's less wearing makeup, than it is photoshop.

That's why I think the approach PRS took on their SE guitars is pretty cool - they made bodies with a plain maple top over a mahogany body.... but then put a flamed veneer over the plain maple cap. That still gets you the same tonal changes you expect from a slab of maple on top of mahogany, but instead of using one 1/2" chunk of flamed maple on one guitar, they shave it into dozens of veneers. To me, that's actually a pretty sensible form of cost-cutting, since it doesn't impact the tone but still preserves the look. I think a veneer alone is kinda cheating since it's too thin to impact the sound of the guitar, but a veneer on top of a plain maple top actually makes a lot of sense.

Yes, PRS (for their SE's) will put a maple veneer on a plain maple top, and they are very upfront in doing so (which I like). A lot of other companies also do the same, and PRS was not the first one to do it, they are just one of the few to list it on their spec sheet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Well, not entirely...

A maple top definitely has a tonal impact on a guitar, and 1/4" to 1/2" of flame maple on a mahogany body sounds differently than a veneer on a mahogany body. So, if you're chasing that "maple top on mahogany body" tone, then a veneer alone isn't going to get you there. It's less wearing makeup, than it is photoshop.

That's why I think the approach PRS took on their SE guitars is pretty cool - they made bodies with a plain maple top over a mahogany body.... but then put a flamed veneer over the plain maple cap. That still gets you the same tonal changes you expect from a slab of maple on top of mahogany, but instead of using one 1/2" chunk of flamed maple on one guitar, they shave it into dozens of veneers. To me, that's actually a pretty sensible form of cost-cutting, since it doesn't impact the tone but still preserves the look. I think a veneer alone is kinda cheating since it's too thin to impact the sound of the guitar, but a veneer on top of a plain maple top actually makes a lot of sense.

If that is the case with what PRS is doing on their SE models, they sure could have chosen a better veneer for my PRS SE SVN. lol

I'm completely fine with veneers if they'll guarantee me in getting a good looking top in a price range where I couldn't be guaranteed to get a nice looking full top. If I'm going to dish out significant money though, in general I would want a full actual top so that the figuring is more unique "fingerprint" like. I ordered an Ormsby with a photo/veneer copper top and while I believe it is going to look great, it's also going to look like everyone else's.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
If that is the case with what PRS is doing on their SE models, they sure could have chosen a better veneer for my PRS SE SVN. lol

I'm completely fine with veneers if they'll guarantee me in getting a good looking top in a price range where I couldn't be guaranteed to get a nice looking full top. If I'm going to dish out significant money though, in general I would want a full actual top so that the figuring is more unique "fingerprint" like. I ordered an Ormsby with a photo/veneer copper top and while I believe it is going to look great, it's also going to look like everyone else's.

Afaik
They aren’t all the same. It’s printed as a big sheet and then cut. So there might be some differences like the pattern might repeat but it’s not going to be at the exact same place.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Afaik
They aren’t all the same. It’s printed as a big sheet and then cut. So there might be some differences like the pattern might repeat but it’s not going to be at the exact same place.

I guess then the question is what is the quality of the veneers. My PRS' was just alright. Kinda flattened out in some spots imo (it was flamed maple).

Or are you talking about how Ormsby does it?

A-Branger

Reaction score
Afaik

that was kinda the idea, printed bigger so it could be placed/rotated in different spots. But that would create a problem with large numbers in manufacturing. Its eassier/quicker to have the same sheet and be applied the same. Its also less prone to mistakes and accidents, as the guy(s) who would be doing the job they would do the same task over and over.

The sheets are bigger than the guitar so it might have a few mm left/right/up/down difference but in general they look the same