Show Me Your 9 String Tunings (2017 Edition)

TWF

Reaction score
There had been a thread with a similar name a couple of years ago. And I remember many discussing — and being sure — that 9 string guitars would be 8 strings with an additional high a (or g string) when they become more "mainstream". Now we have the RG9 for the masses (I own one myself) and its three low bass strings added to the standard 6. Time for a reissue of the thread, what do you think?

Currently, I play standard/factory tuning:
C#F#BEADgbe

I love to have 3 bass strings, 3 "treble" and 3 "high" strings.
The continuation of perfect fouths intervals make sense, yes. But I have to admit that I have never been a fan of C# and F# as open strings.

I am thinking about trying out tuning one step lower:

B(0)E(1)A(1)D(2)GCfad

This looks much more natural to me. In the end, this is a 6 string in D tuning plus bass strings in standard (5-string bass) tuning.

What do you think? What's your approach to 9 string guitar playing?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
There had been a thread with a similar name a couple of years ago. And I remember many discussing — and being sure — that 9 string guitars would be 8 strings with an additional high a (or g string) when they become more "mainstream". Now we have the RG9 for the masses (I own one myself) and its three low bass strings added to the standard 6. Time for a reissue of the thread, what do you think?

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/9-string-tuning.166277/

Naw, most folks thought it'd be a low C#

Reactions: TWF

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
A, E, A, E, A, D, G, B, E

The first 7 are 7-string drop A, with the two lowest strings being an octave lower than their counterparts. At this point its arguable whether I'm playing a short-scale 9-string bass with extra high strings, or a long scale guitar with three extra low strings, as the lowest string is the same pitch as a 5-string bass tuned down one step.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
BEADGCFAD is very nice indeed.
I use perfect fourths myself and a high treble so I'm in EADGCFBbEbAb, or would be BEADGCFBbEb in a typical 9 string. Or C#F#BEADGCF if standard :)
Anything is good for me if in perfect 4ths, but usually I'll take a typical standard tuning for a string number and tune down a step (D standard 6, A standard 7, E standard 8 string like I have done).

Minor 3rds tuning is beyond awesome but will only give you the range of a 6.

Halowords

Reaction score
BEADGCFAD is very nice indeed.

What he said. That is what I went with. However, I am thinking of selling my 9-string to get something for a high-A string (or high-G, depending) instead. The BEADGCFAD tuning makes sense when you play it, as would the C#F#BEADGBE. The patterns stay the same, and the high-E on the 1st remains intact, only there are two frets lower(!). Point being, notes are more-or-less where you left them, only you can go quite a bit lower than your six- or seven-string.

For me, I found that I tend to play more leads/melodies and have not found a string I love at the B0. I think I can tune up a bit and come up with something that has a high-G or high F# that might be more suitable to my (seemingly ever evolving) tastes, and I may end up just keeping what I've got with that, and saving up for the headless custom job I am coveting. Time will tell. I really like it, and it fits in with how my brain sees the notes and patterns for "guitars" in my head (which is pretty much as standard tuning). However, I find myself gravitating toward wanting (if not actually needing) one string higher for playing with chord formations, melodies, and the like.

Take that for what it's worth.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

:lol: Sho nuf! I was skimming the latest posts and saw this thread and got all excited.

Anyway, for all my ERGs I use standard tuning and just stack strings up in forths for the lower strings. Abandoned A4 years ago. Partly because it's a bear to get a string tuned up that high, but mostly because my tiny brain couldn't adapt to a higher string. But for whatever reason, I can play 7s, 8s, 9s, and 10s with ease - provided the additional strings are added below, not above, and provided that they're in "standard" tuning. I will drop the lowest string a whole step on occasion, but otherwise I want to be able to riff on the lower strings in the same way I'd do on the E, A, D strings on a normal guitar. That requires 4ths. Because of that, I think it's vastly easier to learn to play and ERG if the uning is kept in the G#0, C#1, F#1, B1, EADGBE realm.

However, one cool thing is to change what string you tune up a major 3rd from, as opposed to a 4th. Ben Elmer turned me on to this. So, on a regular guitar, you can do typical barre chords because of the G to B interval between the 3rd and 2nd strings. But, if you have a 7 string guitar, and move that major 3rd interval to the 4th to 3rd strings, you now have the guitar tuned BEADF#BE. So if you play the typical barre chords with the root on the lowest string, you can still use the same shapes and get the same chords - but now lower. It's like you suddenly have a baritone guitar with an additional high string. If you fret that high string, it's fine, because it's just adding a 5th to a barre chord with the root on the lowest string. If you do an 8 string guitar, it would be F#BEAC#F#BE. In this case, fretting the second to the highest string would give a 5th to the chord, but the highest string adds a minor 7th, which would definitely color the chord.
Anyway, it's a cool trick that takes very little alteration to a standard tuning, yet allows you to really easily mess around with super low chords.
For 9s, I really don't do any chording on the lowest string. It's really hard to get it to sound good.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been doing eight strings with high A4 for nearly a decade now, and I love the layout, but the first couple of years, I did stumble every once in a while going back to a seven without a high A4. To put things into perspective, though, I did learn to play the lute as a teen, and the lute is tuned ADGBEA, just like the top six of my eight. I think that helped me wrap my head around the layout better.

Halowords

Reaction score
However, one cool thing is to change what string you tune up a major 3rd from, as opposed to a 4th.

I won't tell you how long it took me to figure out what you meant here, except to say it took me too long.

(I)f you have a 7 string guitar, and move that major 3rd interval to the 4th to 3rd strings, you now have the guitar tuned BEADF#BE. So if you play the typical barre chords with the root on the lowest string, you can still use the same shapes and get the same chords - but now lower. It's like you suddenly have a baritone guitar with an additional high string. [snip] If you do an 8 string guitar, it would be F#BEAC#F#BE.

I really, really like that. It allows more chord complexity (which is part of what I like in theory about adding a high-A string to a standard guitar tuning, and you can get most of that benefit by moving up a few frets), and makes barre chords more practical. Plus, you get the extra range and more-notes-under-finger to play with.

For 9s, I really don't do any chording on the lowest string. It's really hard to get it to sound good.

Agreed. And on that note...

What is the lowest or (completely subjective, I know) best note/tuning/string-gauge you've found for the lowest string on your 9-strings for guitar work (as opposed to turning it into a really-short-scale bass)? I know that topic has come up before, however I am still mulling over what to do with my 9th string.

-Cheers

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
I've experimented with several tunings. The main thing I question is the placement of the Major Third and if I want the extra strings to be P4 or a P5 apart.

9 String (L to H):

C#{F#/G#}C#F#BEG#C#F#, the 8th string is either a P4 or P5, usually a P5, 1st string is F#4

Open E Standard: BEBEADBE

9 String Standard: C#F#BEADGBE

Drop B: BF#BF#BEG#C#F# (Extended a la All Shall Perish tuning)

Drop A: AEAEADGBE

Open A Standard: AE[ADGCEA]E, A standard in the middle with P5 extra high string, great for chords. Have trouble adjusting with using the interval for soloing and runs.

I applied this same token to my 10 strings.

Open G# Standard: G#{C#/Eb}[G#C#F#BEbG#]EbG#, that's G# standard with open tuning on the highest strings with a G#4.

I do the same with A taking the tuning above and tuning it up a half step, but the A4 at 25.5" is looking for an excuse to snap, so I don't play it that much. So I tuned it down. G standard in this variation would also work but it's so low on the bottom end.

A Standard Extended: AE[ADGCEA]DG, this is my favorite 10 string tuning which is basically A standard with two extra high strings. It's not quite as good for chording, but fits within the scale lengths and standard shapes.

I agree that the extra high strings are more appealing to my ear than extra low strings.

What is the lowest or (completely subjective, I know) best note/tuning/string-gauge you've found for the lowest string on your 9-strings for guitar work (as opposed to turning it into a really-short-scale bass)? I know that topic has come up before, however I am still mulling over what to do with my 9th string.

-Cheers

I've used super light gauges, (.080 for A0 & G#0 up to .092 as well), to try and be as clear as possible. I found that with the 10 and 9 string variations that the lowest string just gets lost in a chord strum. Power chords/P5 work okay for anything C#1 and above, but again that differs for personal taste. The Drop A with A0E1, I can barely discern the A0. It most likely has to do with amps and settings, so there is still much experimenting to be done.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
What scale length are you playing at that you can get away with even a 92 for A or G#? I'm running a 118 for A on a 30" scale and its JUST barely tight enough. I was using a 124 but the difference in string sound from the A to the E was too great.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
What scale length are you playing at that you can get away with even a 92 for A or G#? I'm running a 118 for A on a 30" scale and its JUST barely tight enough. I was using a 124 but the difference in string sound from the A to the E was too great.

Hey gunpoint,

On my 9 and 10 strings the scale lengths are 30, 28.625, and 28. I'm using LaBella Strings, which I believe you might be using as well if I recall your response in an older thread. The strings have a heavier mass so the tension is deceiving for their gauge, I will admit that they are extremely light. The trick is balancing out the strings with other super light gauge strings. For example for those tunings I use a .065 and .067 for C#1 and .048 for A1 and .052 for G# or G. The .065 C# is the best I've ever heard the note. I tuned the 7th string down to C#1 and kept the .090 C#1 as well on the 9th string. Just to see the difference, The heavier string is very grunt/short scale bass while the super light gauge sounds more guitar like. However, each half step once you get to C#1 is a whole new beast. I've taken a break on trying to get anything in the 0 octave to sound halfway decent, but I might revisit it soon. I've tried from .080-.142 on those notes and I decided to not go over .100 since the string girth becomes too close to the surrounding strings and I dislike the tone.

What kind of amplification are you using for your double drop A? That might shed some light (help us) get some decent definition for these low notes.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

-Cheers

I'm using a .106 at 30" for C#1, and I still think it's a little floppy. It's a Kalium. So I think I'm going to go up to .118. And on my G#0 string at 30" it's .142. Those are both 23.5 lbs, but that just doesn't seem to give it enough stiffness at 30". So I'll probably go to .118" for the C#1, and maybe .158" for the G#0. But we're definitely in bass territory with those strings. I think that the gray area of the string size/scale length is diminished by the string spacing and other strings, though. In other words, even if I played a piccolo bass, it's not going to sound like a guitar, because the string spacing and pickups are designed to sound like a bass. But move those strings to guitar spacing, through an Aftermath in the bridge position, and let me plug into a Fryette Pittbull, and that same instrument is going to sound like a guitar. So I'm not super worried about that issue.

The overriding factor is that there is a limit to how low we can tune an instrument. I've got this Quake bass being built, which will be tuned to C#0, which is ridiculously low. It will be interesting to see how it sounds.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
What kind of amplification are you using for your double drop A? That might shed some light (help us) get some decent definition for these low notes.
I actually went to Kalium a while back. I was getting "dead" sets from LaBella with strings that were starting to oxidize so I stopped ordering them. I run my 9's through a L6 Helix with a kind of interesting signal chain. The signal is split with a crossover split at 300Hz and then I run the >300Hz signal into one boost-gate-amp model and the <300Hz signal into another boost-gate-amp model with different gain and EQ settings on each part of the signal. Both amp model outputs are then merged back into a single Mesa OS 4x12 IR and blended till I like it. I find I need to boost/distort the low end a little more than the top end to get them to sound equally saturated. I'm also not too concerned with the fundamental on the low A as long as it sounds "good" with the rest of the guitar.

TWF

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your feedback!

@Winspear @Halowords :
What string gauges would you recommend for BEADGCFAD on my 28" RG9?
Plus: Is there a six string set for D tuning you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

ixlramp

Reaction score

Halowords

Reaction score

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your feedback!

@Winspear @Halowords :
What string gauges would you recommend for BEADGCFAD on my 28" RG9?
Plus: Is there a six string set for D tuning you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

10 13 17 28 38 50 65 85 115 :) 110 could cut it, wouldn't bother with less than a 105
10-46 would be usable for the 6 string part but I think 10-49 sets exist.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
That set linked above is really on point BUT it's totally balanced, meaning the trebles are as tight as the wounds nearly. Wouldn't recommend it personally, especially as it's a tight wound set to begin with. The wound portion would be fantastic though!