Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
8Gb is plenty.

16Gb, is overkill. But when computer were first made a 1.44mb floppy disc was meant to hold everything. Nobody gets 16gb because its not needed.. yet.

F0rte

Wood Whore
Reaction score
How much RAM is ideal guys, if your doing webdesign stuff as well as music stuff?

is 8gb from a mbo enough? or would you need an imac 16gb?

I noticed not all of you have above 8gb.

I personally enjoy having 8GB of RAM.
That way I can manage multiple tracks at once and record multiple tracks at once on Logic 9.
Not to mention I enjoy streaming my recording live over Stickam which takes a considerable amount of memory.

But, having 8GB of RAM...it's NO PROBLEM! :D

Not to mention RAM is REALLYYY cheap these days. So i'd say the more the merrier!

Reaction score
Hey what's up. My home studio is very small, nothing too impressive. Below you can listen to an audio example of how it sounds like. Hope you like it!

http://soundcloud.com/humanbasis/torque-brutal-response-mix-1

Torque+compone.JPG

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
I personally enjoy having 8GB of RAM.
That way I can manage multiple tracks at once and record multiple tracks at once on Logic 9.
Not to mention I enjoy streaming my recording live over Stickam which takes a considerable amount of memory.

But, having 8GB of RAM...it's NO PROBLEM! :D

Not to mention RAM is REALLYYY cheap these days. So i'd say the more the merrier!

Actually, having too much RAM can be a bad thing (from what I understand). Not only does the size of the RAM matter but, the speed of it too. And the type. There is DDR2, DDR3, and a few others that aren't as common (I think)...

Think of it like guys in a warehouse. If the storage is HUGE! but, your guys can only run at a snails pace, it takes forever to get across the warehouse floor. But, if you have an okay sized place with fast workers, they get to it quicker and get it out to deliver quicker. l

Lianoroto

Reaction score
Actually, having too much RAM can be a bad thing (from what I understand). Not only does the size of the RAM matter but, the speed of it too. And the type. There is DDR2, DDR3, and a few others that aren't as common (I think)...

Think of it like guys in a warehouse. If the storage is HUGE! but, your guys can only run at a snails pace, it takes forever to get across the warehouse floor. But, if you have an okay sized place with fast workers, they get to it quicker and get it out to deliver quicker. l

Having lots of ram is never a bad thing. But as you said, it is really the speed of the ram you got that matters. Like, you won't be punished for having 16gb versus 8gb, but having ram with 800mhz will in all forms feel inferior to 1600mhz.

With todays prices I think 8gb with speeds of 1333mhz or 1600mhz is what you should aim for. Doesn't Hurt to grab a set of 16gb with the same speeds if you come over a good sale like I did.

Also remember to check what your motherboard can handle. Most new boards should be able to use ddr3 and speeds of 1600 or more.

Mario88

Reaction score
Having lots of ram is never a bad thing. But as you said, it is really the speed of the ram you got that matters. Like, you won't be punished for having 16gb versus 8gb, but having ram with 800mhz will in all forms feel inferior to 1600mhz.

With todays prices I think 8gb with speeds of 1333mhz or 1600mhz is what you should aim for. Doesn't Hurt to grab a set of 16gb with the same speeds if you come over a good sale like I did.

Also remember to check what your motherboard can handle. Most new boards should be able to use ddr3 and speeds of 1600 or more.

well can the i5 mbp 13" handle that as standard? can you ask to get the ram bumped from 4gb to 8gb before purchase? I found a site called macwarehouse where you can customise what you want but its lagging to %^&k atm.

Mario88

Reaction score
well can the i5 mbp 13" handle that as standard? can you ask to get the ram bumped from 4gb to 8gb before purchase? I found a site called macwarehouse where you can customise what you want but its lagging to %^&k atm.

ok those were dunmbass questions, I just googled most the info. However.....
What would I be getting with an i7 mbp as opposed to an i5, I cant seem to validate buying an i7 tbh, feels an i5 with extra ram would be ideal for me, thinking of going for 13" as I already have an external monitor on my wall if need be at 22", be better for gigs this way I think.

Any thoughts or comments welcome, I am just a noobaby after all.

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
That's a lush drum kit. ^

ok those were dunmbass questions, I just googled most the info. However.....
What would I be getting with an i7 mbp as opposed to an i5, I cant seem to validate buying an i7 tbh, feels an i5 with extra ram would be ideal for me, thinking of going for 13" as I already have an external monitor on my wall if need be at 22", be better for gigs this way I think.

Any thoughts or comments welcome, I am just a noobaby after all.

Seriously, don't worry about getting the i7. Even the i5 has way more processing power than a project studio would need. Go for the extra ram, 8GB will be fine. But buy it from Crucial Memory Upgrades for Macs - Apple Memory - it's cheap but very good. Apple RAM is ECC, which is only necessary for workstations and server installations where uptime is critical. You pay a huge premium for that. Save some money and buy a decent interface (if you don't already have one). The Focusrite Saffire interfaces are great.

Mario88

Reaction score
That's a lush drum kit. ^

Seriously, don't worry about getting the i7. Even the i5 has way more processing power than a project studio would need. Go for the extra ram, 8GB will be fine. But buy it from Crucial Memory Upgrades for Macs - Apple Memory - it's cheap but very good. Apple RAM is ECC, which is only necessary for workstations and server installations where uptime is critical. You pay a huge premium for that. Save some money and buy a decent interface (if you don't already have one). The Focusrite Saffire interfaces are great.

thanks for clearing that up mate. Can you buy from macintosh equipped 8gb already or do I need to buy the chip? if so do I need an 8gb chip, or 4gb? 4gb in the laptop, and 4gb extra makes up 8gb anyway.. if I get an 8gb RAM upgrade wont it effectively make my system run at 12gb? (which I dont need).

Any advice on which of the Saffire range to go for? they all seem pretty solid, but I dont think ill be doing Dj,ing anytime soon.

this has helped Alot guys, thanks to those of you who have been patient so far.
:lol:

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
thanks for clearing that up mate. Can you buy from macintosh equipped 8gb already or do I need to buy the chip? if so do I need an 8gb chip, or 4gb? 4gb in the laptop, and 4gb extra makes up 8gb anyway.. if I get an 8gb RAM upgrade wont it effectively make my system run at 12gb? (which I dont need).

Any advice on which of the Saffire range to go for? they all seem pretty solid, but I dont think ill be doing Dj,ing anytime soon.

this has helped Alot guys, thanks to those of you who have been patient so far.
:lol:
Apple will only ship their own RAM, which is like £160. If you order from Crucial, buy the 2x4GB for £35 - 1/5 of the price. You'll have to take out the RAM that's already installed the machine, you shouldn't mix and match it. Keep it spare in case you ever encounter issues in the future.

In terms of the Saffires, I think any of them are fine, it's the preamps which are probably the best thing about them. Maybe go for the Saffire 6 USB. It suits most purposes fine and you won't have to buy a Firewire adapter, because all MacBooks come with that new Thunderbolt port now.

Farcry0092

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm really jealous of some of these setups haha

Here's the "studio" I'm currently working with, being at school and all.

LG 32" tv being used as an external monitor, connected to my acer laptop.
Running Podfarm into Cubase 5 for recording, and drums are being done via Superior Drummer, which is run through FL studio 10 for easier mapping.

Got the Ux2 there, and 2 small M-audio monitors, a 2 liter of Mountain Dew, and a pair of shitty fender headphones for when the roommate is asleep.

Get a bit of the Ibby in there as well.

Currently in the post production stage of my pop punk bands first EP

400014807.jpg

While I'm home for break, I'll get some pictures of my other guitarists basement, which is where our real recording setup is, as well as the drum kit, the vocal booth, and all 20(ish) of our guitars and basses and post them in here too.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
To keep things short I "moved out" recently and "had" to get my own place. It's pretty cosy here. My girlfriend even said I could setup the living room however I want...since my desk wouldn't fit in the bedroom :lol:

dscn4012.jpg

Nice, simple, everything is close by. ;)

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Yeah, punchy as Stephan Struve. Cheap too, which helps. Did you buy them as a result of BT talking about them? If not then you should stick his This Binary Universe album through them and weep with delight. Sounds so nice!