Show your bike! if you have one course

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I got huge into mountainbiking over the summer, currently I ride a trek Marlin 6, but I quickly caught the bug I'm looking at upgrading to a Giant Trance 3. Full air suspension, dropper post, 27.5 inch wheels, ect. This thing is one mean machine.

302161_22636_XXL.jpg

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So, this happened last night:

venge.jpg

2020 Venge Pro in gloss teal over carbon (overcast conditions so it looks black, but it has these awesome blue-green highlights in the light). The thing smokes - it isn't even up on the Specialized site yet, but it's basically the SRAM eTap bike, but with Ultegra Di2. I've only had time for a quick shakeout spin so far, but it feels VERY slippery in the wind, and way more comfortable than a racing aero frame has any right to be. It's LIIIIIGHT, too - I haven't weighed it myself, but it can't be more than 17lbs, and will be a bit less once I swap out the stock crankset for their S-Works carbon power meter set with a pair of Absolute Black rings, maybe a hair heavier than a Dura-Ace Madone build. Surprisingly compliant over rough pavement, but stiff enough to take off like it's got an afterburner when you dig in. It's gonna be a blast. :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, the thing's insane - nearly a year later I'm still ludicriously happy with it. I did swap the stock crankset for a Specialized S-Works Power crankset for dual sided power metering, and with the lighter carbon-railed version of this saddle (which to my surprise I really liked) I brought the weight down from about 17.2 to a flat 17lbs, which is insane for an aero frame. I've picked up a couple tough Strava KOMS and set a whole BUNCH of PRs on her, though to be fair I've also been training my ass off.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Heh - I've been through two bikes since this thread started. I still love my Old early 1990's Schwin Sidewinder, but it's rusted and rickety as hell now.

There's a pretty big bike-snob (I mean this lovingly) community here, and I just ride for fun, mostly on the easier trails, so I don't own anything fancy. I also tend to be hard on my bikes, so it'd be crazy for me to spend more than a couple grand on a bike that I'm like going to crash two or three times.

Reaction score
btt-st-540-vermelho-275.jpg

I've got one of these (sorry for the institutional photo), it's like an Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) for the BTT bikes (imo). Aluminum frame, Shimano 3x9 speeds, 27.5" wheels, locking suspension at the front wheel, disk breaks...

I'm not a super active guy in this, mainly doing city routes with my older kid (he's 12), nevertheless, it is a nice bike, light enough (compared to my previous one), easy to drive and easy to climb steep roads.

I've done some off road with it on very small trails nearby my living place and it performed perfectly.

soliloquy

Reaction score
i'm looking to pickup a bike as well. I'm just having a hard time understanding why cruiser bikes look awesome, yet fail to modernize via use of lighter metals, maybe shocks, maybe gears or something.

my daily use would be suitable for a hybrid bike, yet I cant stand the way they look. too generic looking, in my opinion, thus looking at cruisers. Yet they are heavy, bulky, sluggish, and a challenge to ride in the area I live.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
i'm looking to pickup a bike as well. I'm just having a hard time understanding why cruiser bikes look awesome, yet fail to modernize via use of lighter metals, maybe shocks, maybe gears or something.

my daily use would be suitable for a hybrid bike, yet I cant stand the way they look. too generic looking, in my opinion, thus looking at cruisers. Yet they are heavy, bulky, sluggish, and a challenge to ride in the area I live.

Are you talking about the PeeWee Herman style beach cruiser or something like a fat bike? I would like to get a fatbike some day just to roll over shit that would wash out on a standard MTB.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Are you talking about the PeeWee Herman style beach cruiser or something like a fat bike? I would like to get a fatbike some day just to roll over shit that would wash out on a standard MTB.

I'm not familiar with PeeWee Herman's bike, but something similar to this:
MensBE-Angled_1024x1024.jpg

I get it. The purpose of those bikes is meant to be traditional. Yet why not use modern technology to improve something that was made in the 50s?

Reaction score
So, last week I got a flat tire on my bike's front wheel and I can't repair it. I simply can't remove the tire. It's a new type of some sort and with this lock down I'm yet to take it to repairs... damn... On my previous bike I also got a flat tire in my rear wheel and have been able to repair it cleanly, new air chamber and new tire, all done without any stress.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with PeeWee Herman's bike, but something similar to this:
MensBE-Angled_1024x1024.jpg

I get it. The purpose of those bikes is meant to be traditional. Yet why not use modern technology to improve something that was made in the 50s?
Upright riding position that is both extremely un-aerodynamic and will be unstable at speed, single speed/probably fixed gear, frame curves that will make it pretty flexible and inefficient almost no matter what you do, no rim or disc brakes, chain guard's sole purpose is to make it easier to ride with regular pants, heavy, wide seat that will cause chafing on longer rides, and heavy wheels that will increase rotational inertia needlessly. Pretty much everything about that screams "I'm not concerned with performance." Why bother adding performance features? Nothing about this bike is intended to go fast. A lot of the things you find appealing about it - the riding position, the shape of the frame, the seat, whatever - are all things that those same modern features you want to see added have all replaced because they make no sense from a performance standpoint.

Your best bet if you want something in the same spirit as that is some of the more performance-oriented "city bikes" that are on the market, intended for commuting. Something like this:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sirrus-x-5-0/p/171174?color=271476-171174&searchText=92420-3101

Carbon frame, suspended bars, 1x mountain biking drivetrain but geared more like a gravel bike, with a 42 in front and an 11-42 in the rear, hydraulic discs, and not exactly a great wheelset but one that's a standard road size and allows you to use standard road tires, so if you really want to go all on on performance here, yea, you can technically throw a set of Enves on it.

Or, just go all in and grab a gravel bike - I've been using a by-now-fairly-tricked-out Diverge Comp as a commuter when not doing gravel races and events on it, just keeping a spare wheelset with slicks and an Enve AR3.4 with knobby 42s for gnarlier stuff, and the thing is both a super comfortable ride and fast as fuck when you do want to push things.

Or, hell, even a cross country MTB is probably spiritually a descendent of that, once it became thoroughly modernized - the sport was born with lunatics taking modified versions of those things down "Repack Ridge" in Marin County, so named because you had to repack the hub after every descent because it would burn through all the grease while braking.

ExplorerMike

60% of the time...it works every time.
Reaction score
Forgot I had pics of my older bmx bike on my phone. This is a 1998 Kink Empire, they later made an Empire Revision B frame, but this is one of the originals. It actually went back to Kink a while back because even they didn’t have one, so they could reverse engineer it to see what they did. Super rare in the bmx world and it’s a total tank! I’m thr original owner too, been riding it since high school!B482ABE5-26C0-4F1F-B3E2-345E58BF0671.jpeg

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
May as well share an updated picture of my Venge with the new crankset and oval rings. Weighs in at about 16.8lbs, and while the new Tarmac SL7 is being positioned as rendering the Venge obsolete by being very nearly as aero while being lighter, that's only true in full S-Works trim - the SL7 Pro weights the same as the Venge Pro while the Venge is about 8 seconds faster over a 40km time trial, and my Venge as it stands now is lighter than a stock SL7 Pro or Venge Pro by roughly a quarter to a third of a pound.

Besides, it's way sexier. :D
IMG_1014.jpg

jaxadam

Reaction score
New suspension time. Don't think I'll be dropping $6k on a A-kit as my riding is now relegated to keeping my kids upright and separated.

Bye bye this guy

BC9-B0-FA3-126-D-4-BC8-89-CA-AADABF2-C0974.jpg

F9-E27-BFA-34-FD-4-FBA-B94-D-0-A22-EEEBACE8.jpg

I still might be able to ride this!

138-BF68-D-8-AD9-4-FCD-82-FF-0-BC504175-D95.jpg

84986205-9671-4-DAD-B6-B8-136442276-A0-B.jpg