Shure SM57 vs Behringer T-47

• Thread starter Mike Azazel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Azazel

Antichrist
Reaction score
one is a dynamic instrument mic you all know
and the other one is a tube condenser mic

i dont really have any idea about mics, i got those two, wich one should i use to record my amp and why? fast answers appreciated

M. Azazel

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bodes

Reaction score
Do you have a 2-input interface? If yes, why not hook them both up at the same time and make your mind up? Experimenting = fun.

Most people record guitar amps using a combination of mics for different sounds. I think when I recorded my demo a few years back, our engineer used 9 different mics on each cab.

SM57s record amps very well.

Condenser mics are more suited for vocal and acoustic instruments.

I could go on but, I know not a great deal about recording.

Mike Azazel

Antichrist
Reaction score
no i just have a normal x2u digital interface to directly plug them to the laptop
yeah thats what i guessed...

i could record one by one and mix it together but i dont know how well thatll work
so ill probably just go with the sm57 as i intendet to do when i ordered it
someone gave me the condenser one for free...

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
You want to play with the positioning of both microphones, but for guitars I'm going to guess the SM57 will do better on your amp. There is a reason for the SM57 being a workhorse on guitar amps.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Use both! Lots of engineers use both dynamic and condenser mics for guitars. If you get good at balancing them and matching their phasing, you can get a wider variety of tones that with just one or the other. Just be sure the specs for the Behringer can handle the high SPL of a cranked guitar amp/cab.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
Use the SM57 at the cab and capture the room with the condenser.