Siggery guitars

Moosick

Reaction score
Out of interest, what luthiers in the UK around this pricerange might be a suitable and reliable choice for those who might have been considering something like his stuff/me for when I get another custom made >.>?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
None. The reason this clown went bust is because he charged so little and mismanaged his funds. Save your money for something more significant and reliable.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Anyone tried contacting eBay about this? They might be interested in the fact that this dude is selling instruments that customers already payed for. Maybe they wouldn't do anything, but might be worth a shot.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
None. The reason this clown went bust is because he charged so little and mismanaged his funds. Save your money for something more significant and reliable.

This.

Siggery had a "start-up" business model in place for too long. A model that was unsustainable. Behold the results.

Sorry to all those burned by this joker.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Out of interest, what luthiers in the UK around this pricerange might be a suitable and reliable choice for those who might have been considering something like his stuff/me for when I get another custom made >.>?

How does that old saying go? "Fool me once........

Moosick

Reaction score
How does that old saying go? "Fool me once........
Well, I was under the impression that there were more reliable, better luthiers who would charge slightly lower than the usual 2k customs; that Marty's problem was his work ethic and/or financial choices rather than it being an overarching problem with ~£1.5k luthiers (which is certainly the discussion here; at most I have seen "this business model is unsustainable!" twice, whereas I've seen "this guy lies through his teeth and can't manage his cash" almost non-stop). Or are all non-high end luthiers of ERGs jokers? I'd pay for a Blackmachine or such if I had the money but I simply do not have it. I can stretch to about £1500, maybe £1800 at most but at that point that's basically trading food and heating for strings.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I was under the impression that there were more reliable, better luthiers who would charge slightly lower than the usual 2k customs; that Marty's problem was his work ethic and/or financial choices rather than it being an overarching problem with ~£1.5k luthiers (which is certainly the discussion here; at most I have seen "this business model is unsustainable!" twice, whereas I've seen "this guy lies through his teeth and can't manage his cash" almost non-stop). Or are all non-high end luthiers of ERGs jokers? I'd pay for a Blackmachine or such if I had the money but I simply do not have it. I can stretch to about £1500, maybe £1800 at most but at that point that's basically trading food and heating for strings.

Here's the thing, cheaper builders aren't charging less because they want to make customs more affordable. They're not doing it out of sheer altruism. They simply can't charge more and get consistent business.

Why can't they charge more? A few reasons: 1) they're too new and don't have a significant track record/history/customer base to sell their instruments, 2) the quality can be a little hit or miss so they need to play it safe with pricing, 3) they're not sure how their business is sustainable yet, 4) it's a side business they don't pour everything into, 5) a combination of the above.

Everyone wants cheap customs. That's a fact. Even the guys that do have "Blackmachine money" want to pay less for awesome, custom guitars. If a builder could do it reliably (which up to this point hasn't been a thing) they'd make a mint, quantity over quality. It's just not feasible. Using natural materials and hand work to make something like a guitar or bass is very hard and there are tons of variables. You need to be able to replace wood that goes wrong.

If you don't have the money for a proper builder, then you can't get one to make you a guitar. That's just how it is. Either save up or lower your expectations.

androponic

Reaction score
:dick: yup, considering he ripped off my best bud and then sold his custom on Ebay without any reimbursment. Also, ripped off many members here. I dont think I can be more dramatic if I tried. :nono:

electriceye

Reaction score
:dick: yup, considering he ripped off my best bud and then sold his custom on Ebay without any reimbursment. Also, ripped off many members here. I dont think I can be more dramatic if I tried. :nono:

Well, if you think a guy that has ripped a few people off is worse than the plethora of criminals out there, then you live a sad and sheltered life. Guy like Siggery are the least of our world's problems. I'm not saying he's not a POS. He is. But let's keep some perspective here.

And calling me a dick over my comment is pretty juvenile, dude.

androponic

Reaction score
I Wasnt calling you the dick, Marty at Siggery was the recipient of that. Please don't insult me by the way (pretty disrespectful), I didn't speak to you directly until you commented directly to me. I know there are worse people but the thread you are in is about a certain subject and dealer so I am speaking about that and it is personal to me. That is my perspective so worry about yourself and not my comments please since it has NOTHING to do with you.

jeremyb

Reaction score
Has there ever been one of these threads on ss.org that hasn't ended this way? The Ormsby one perhaps? seems like these builders all end up going the same way....

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has there ever been one of these threads on ss.org that hasn't ended this way? The Ormsby one perhaps? seems like these builders all end up going the same way....

People will throw their money at any idiot or crook as long as they take retouched photos of "exotic" woods and promise them the moon and the stars.

Roter: Could hardly build passable guitars, had a huge language barrier, was way over their heads and tried to charge barely enough to make a profit.

BRJ: Builder with a pretty shaky and shady history all of a sudden slashes his prices and touts ridiculous wait times. Not to mention sent shills in left and right.

Invictus: New, untested builder offering bargain basement Blackmachine copies.

Emperion (Remember those jokers?): New company out of nowhere offered crazy pricing on super spec'd guitars without even having complete models available. Turns out you have to do some QA/QC.

There are actually more success stories than failures, it's just they don't get as much press. Ormsby has been doing great, Oni had some slow downs but seems to be on the upswing, guys like Jahn and Jillard are showing promise. OAF is looking better and better too. Elysian has potential.

Jury is still out on Decibel and Sabre, but they haven't totally shat the bed yet.

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
After having an order with Siggery paid in full since 2012 with no communication/pics/feedback of any kind, then ordering an Ormsby and receiving pics every other week and the guitar within a year, I feel like I've had the best and worst of it.

What I've learned: take this ride at your own risk. If you have ANY doubts about the person/company, get a production guitar instead.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
People will throw their money at any idiot or crook as long as they take retouched photos of "exotic" woods and promise them the moon and the stars.

Roter: Could hardly build passable guitars, had a huge language barrier, was way over their heads and tried to charge barely enough to make a profit.

BRJ: Builder with a pretty shaky and shady history all of a sudden slashes his prices and touts ridiculous wait times. Not to mention sent shills in left and right.

Invictus: New, untested builder offering bargain basement Blackmachine copies.

Emperion (Remember those jokers?): New company out of nowhere offered crazy pricing on super spec'd guitars without even having complete models available. Turns out you have to do some QA/QC.

There are actually more success stories than failures, it's just they don't get as much press. Ormsby has been doing great, Oni had some slow downs but seems to be on the upswing, guys like Jahn and Jillard are showing promise. OAF is looking better and better too. Elysian has potential.

Jury is still out on Decibel and Sabre, but they haven't totally shat the bed yet.

What ever happened to Shamray customs? I remember they seemed far too good to be true a long time back. Checked their site recently, posts from this year in the hidden members section of the forum but nothing since 2012 on their other sections?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What ever happened to Shamray customs? I remember they seemed far too good to be true a long time back. Checked their site recently, posts from this year in the hidden members section of the forum but nothing since 2012 on their other sections?

I wouldn't be surprised if they folded. It happens with small builders, especially those who look to cater almost exclusively to niches.

I don't remember anything bad going down, but then again they were never super popular around here.

Moosick

Reaction score
Who would be your British luthier recommendations, Max (and everyone else)? Any standouts? Thinking I might be able to do some selling and afford something a little higher.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Jaden Rose (or at least a couple years ago) and Daemoness are the SSO flavour luthiers from the UK. Apart from that there's a bunch of good ones like Chris Larkin, Tom Waghorn..